small budget... trailer or lorry?

Kungfoo-hamster

Visit site
I have a small budget to purchase transport for a single horse (approx £4000) and I have a vehicle that could tow a single horse trailer. I am now dithering whether it would be better to buy a small second hand lorry, or whether my tiny budget makes a trailer the most sensible option...I have never driven a lorry or towed a trailer before.

What do people think?
Which has the most ongoing costs?

Kungfoo-hamster

Visit site
No - B+E but my current car only has a small towing capacity, so I would need something like a Bateson Derby or Ifor Williams HB403 - thanks ROG

ROG

Visit site
No - B+E but my current car only has a small towing capacity, so I would need something like a Bateson Derby or Ifor Williams HB403 - thanks ROG
Gonna cost more to have a lorry standing than a trailer

How much towing capacity do you have ?
What weight of horse ?

Kungfoo-hamster

Visit site
You very kindly worked it out for me on the Towing Clinic Thread a while back - my max total is 1500kg (Dacia Duster 4x4 Laureate) so I would need an Ifor downplated, horse weighs about 460-500kg

Joyous70

Visit site
have you considered maybe a Cheval Liberte trailer? they are considerably lighter than the Ifors and for your budget you could buy a new one.

ROG

Visit site
You very kindly worked it out for me on the Towing Clinic Thread a while back - my max total is 1500kg (Dacia Duster 4x4 Laureate) so I would need an Ifor downplated, horse weighs about 460-500kg
no need to down plate on a B+E licence

If you have a towing capacity of 1500 with a trailer weighing 800 empty and plated at 1600 then you can load 700 into that trailer (800+700=1500)
No law or rule which states the trailer MAM must fit into the towing capacity

Thinking about it a bit further - you could get a double HB505 at 900 empty and plated at 2300 so the trailer and load of 500 will only total 1400

Your trailer options are aplenty with what you have to work with - B+E and 1500 capacity

Last edited:
Visit site
In the long run it is far cheaper to have a trailer. No extra MOT's or Tax to deal with plus with older lorries you end up spending far more fixing them up for MOT's than they are worth.

Kungfoo-hamster

Visit site
Thanks everyone - I find the whole thing very confusing with my options etc. But if I can look at a larger trailer, and simply not put too much weight in it, then that makes life easier :)

Equi

Visit site
Trailer and trailer test. I would not be bothered with the van and the petrol and up kep every year. Much more worth your time doing the trailer test.

ihatework

Visit site
In your situation and on that budget then a trailer every time. A lorry could cripple you on the upkeep

Kungfoo-hamster

Visit site
Cheers everyone - I don't need to do a trailer test (as I am as old as the hills...lol) but I think I might do some training anyway so that I know which direction to turn the wheel in ;)

ArabianGem78

Visit site
I completed a spreadsheet when faced with a similar decision and found that 4x4 & trailer was cheaper than a small lorry & small car.
That would mean two vehicles to MOT, tax, insure, etc.

Most of the events I go to are endurance rides for which I need a crew, so would need to take a crew car as well as a lorry to rides, meaning two lots of diesel. Whereas with a 4x4 and trailer, we just unhitch and are ready to go.