Small Companions .... Advise please

Scotsbadboy

Visit site
Quick background and then some questions/ opinions and advise sought please. I have a small 3 acre plot of land with a bank of three stables and a tack room. Its close to my home. I'm surrounded by neighbours fields (post & rail) one who collects horses/ ponies! Its a very horsey area.

A few months ago i bought a rather lovely, handsome, fool proof ID. He is awesome, I'm very happy and he is such a gentlemen and a complete dude. I've always had an 'open yard' policy with my horses but this year due to the weather and wet i have stabled him nightly. He is very stoic and is fine being stabled on his own .. he can see his friends although even if he couldn't i don't think this would bother him .. as i say, he is awesome bless him and i feel very privileged to call him mine :)

Effectively he is on individual turnout .. hot topic on this forum lately (he goes out during the day come rain or shine!) .... I do think he is the type who would benefit from company in his field. He has a load of mini mares to his left who dont move and to the field on his right he has a gelding and a mare (small horses) who will be moving soon. He will have a hooly if those two go to there yard for riding (one is ridden, the other wont be left alone) Nothing dramatic, he'll have a bomb round and call to them even though he can still see them. Its not constant or dangerous and as i say you bring him on to the yard/ stable him and he is absolutely relaxed and mannerly so he is a bit clingy but not stupid clingy to his friends.

So i have potentially got a companion lined up, I've fought against my guilt for long enough and what the heck, everyone else collects horses round my way and I've abstained for nearly five years so why not hey! The companion is 12h nothing yearling, super friendly, quiet and nicely handled. For what i would do with him and his age he really would be no bother bless him. But now I'm a bit worried about the size difference, so although my guy is very gentle and i genuinely believe he will dote on this little one like a big brother, I would like to hear from others who have small companions in with there larger horses (He is 16.2 RID).

I cannot go down the route of a 'companion for a companion for a companion' and so on .. so i am committed to putting in the work to ensure this new guy is happy to be left 'alone' whilst i hack (alone is 'individual' turnout, he'll be surrounded by others as my horse is now remember) and part of the reason i have pencilled him in to join us, is that he turns out on his own now and is very quiet (no, not ideal for a baby but currently not my pony!) This pony has no value, me taking him would also be a bit of a 'rescue' to stop him falling through the gaps and landing in the wrong hands ...... that's my excuse anyway ;) nothing to do with him being so cute and unbelievably pretty, lol!)

I think I've rambled too much to add questions so if you got this far and have something constructive to say then i welcome replies. I think i can make this work, I think with time and effort i could manage a ridden horse and a pony companion but i would like to hear of others who do it/ done it :)

Also to add i will be putting in a track this summer to keep the weight down on my boy and this will also work favourably with a pony. I REALLY dont want a livery. Thanks :)

PapaverFollis

Visit site
I've got an 11.2hh Welsh A with a 15hh and a 16.2hh. They push her around a bit but when she's had enough she just roars at them and goes for the throat. ? she definitely holds her own and is a tough little thing. I've never had a worry re.the size difference or her getting hurt. She's an elderly though, rather than a youngster, so I think she's learned how to deal with big idiots over the years.

The big two are good doers so the management works for all of them.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
TBH I would be reluctant at this stage to introduce a companion.

IF your horse is in a situation where he can see others and there is a bigger "herd" around in the general area, if you do introduce something "closer" in the field, you may well start-up a problem with bonding.

We have had a new horse arrive at my yard recently (I'm the YO) and to keep the new horse happy we thought to put my little coblet mare next to it in a securely fenced-off (mains electric!) small area. However my girly then immediately starting bonding with her neighbour across the leccy fencing! To the extent that she began to exhibit "mare'ish" behaviour such as squirting and "winking" and generally becoming very pair-bonded to the new horse. We had to take her back to her own herd, also on the premises, but not so close to the new horse, and it was some days before she stopped calling out and settled down.

What I am saying is that if your horse is reasonably settled and OK with the situation then I think you might upset the apple cart if you do anything different, and I would be inclined to press the Pause button and just have a think about what might ensue! At the end of the day, there IS a wider "herd" in place for him to feel a part of, although I can understand your feeling that he might need a closer bond with another equine on a closer level.

The other thing you will have to think about is fencing!! Obvious point, but yours is a big lad and - particularly if you're using leccy fencing - will need a good tall fence; whereas a little pony this size will be well able to get underneath a lot of things you'd put up for a big horse! I've seen a little demon of a pony get on its knees and literally CRAWL underneath leccy fencing to get where it wanted to!

Perhaps a case of "if not broke don't fix it"????

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
Size wise I think you’re fine, my almost 3yo is 16hh+ (I refuse to measure him) and his current buddies are under 12hh but I really don’t think it’s fair to expect a yearling to be left alone for large portions of time (appreciate you say he’s already turned out solo, but just because others do it doesn’t make it right). At that age they really should be out with other youngsters and a nanny or two learning to be a horse.

Asha

Visit site
A friend of mine has a shetland for company for her 16.1 WB, works well most of the time. However her shetland has had lammi, so she doesnt go out much in the summer. Its just one thing to consider with the smaller native pony types

Nudibranch

Visit site
Size wise I've always found, without exception, that the little ones are more than capable of standing up for themselves and end up the boss. So no worries there imo!
I'd also rather have to deal with a bit of bonding than keep one alone. I know someone who deliberately keeps one in isolation (not even another in sight) as it gets "stupidly attached" with company. Well yes, being kept in isolation would make you go a bit crazy with some company.
My main concern would be differences in diet/management. Littlies often end up overweight, EMS, laminitis etc. But if you can set up restricted grazing for one if necessary it would still work.

Scotsbadboy

Visit site
Thanks all, this is really productive and food for thought. I had a neighbour 'ask' me to move my horse when i first got him because her mare was going crazy calling to him (he was just as bad, he's rather vocal) two hedges and a road between them and they found her difficult to handle. She admitted they keep her separate from their other mare because she gets too attached! I thought that was sad.

[B]MiJodsR2BlinkinTite[/B] 100% taken onboard what you have said and i think this is massively part of why i havent gone down this route sooner and i think if i'd got him a companion when i first brought him home he would have become rather unbearable. He was so clingy and vocal bless him it made me sad to think what life he had before (either solitary or in a herd, either way i was torn i couldnt offer him a nice life!) He has very much settled into his new life now, he knows if he goes hacking he comes 'home' without fail.

FestiveFuzz Agreed and in an ideal world he would play in a field with a bunch of other babies, i 100% agree with you thats how life as a foal/ yearling should be. Sadly this isnt the case and he is being treated like a grown horse in servitude right now and i doubt he'd find a home like he should have as a baby. I think the life i would give him would allow him a lot of freedom and a chance to be a baby so hopefully a nice enough compromise.

Equi

Visit site
As said you may end up with two on individual turnout but also with a yearling they are not likely to stable and stay alone in the field while you ride if their only friend in the world is your horse. An older already cool type may suit better.

J&S

Visit site
A small companion may be nice for your horse but personally I would look for some thing older than just a yearling. Not only will it be quite stressful for the youngster to have his friend taken away but also the youngster will need some management/ input to keep him up so scratch and take him from baby hood to
teenage and onwards. Some thing ready made might suit you and the horse better?

paddi22

Visit site
I wouldn't get a yearling. they are better in a herd and if you take your horse away at any stage it would be very stressful for it.

As regards size, we get rescues in and they get paired up with a mini when they come, and the minis have always been more than able for them. we have never had an issue even with rough bigger horses. some minis need restricted grazing, but its easy enough to muzzle or fence off. apart. I also like how much easier it is to remove the horse and leave the mini on its own when needed, you don't need to worry about them breaking or jumping fences or doors.

RHM

Visit site
I think the real problem with mixing sizes is that they have different grazing needs, and you might find that you end up have two animals in individual turn out instead of one!
This is what I have at least 3/4 months of the year, bloody nightmare! Though with yours being an ID they can be pretty good doers so hopefully would work out well with a pony.

Scotsbadboy

Visit site
Yes its always been something I've talked to other people about when they say get a shitland as a companion. They just arent compatible grazing companions. I do plan to put a track up this year for my ID anyway so the little one would be on the same. It certainly something to consider.

I agree with people who say a youngster should be with other youngsters. Ive always thought that until you get faced with the dilemma that I'm probably the best home he is going to get offered bless him. I thought about an older pony and its an option but I'd rather like this to work out because of his 'situation'. I also thought about getting a horse sized companion but skipping out a mini compared to mucking out a second horse and also having two large horses on my land in winter, puts me off that idea!

Hmm lots to think about, thank you all :)

Melandmary

Visit site
As someone who is currently dealing with separation anxiety issues I would be inclined to think that if your horse is out with other horses all day.... Albeit in a separate field and happy with his life why change it. You might find that once he has his very own friend he might not be so happy leaving it and likewise the yearling might also feel the same. Horses that seem to be sensible souls can become very attached to each other. I think if I were in your position ( my position again) I would o ly get a companion who has already been living the life you are expecting it to have with you, ie left for periods of time and happy with that.

Scotsbadboy

Visit site
As someone who is currently dealing with separation anxiety issues I would be inclined to think that if your horse is out with other horses all day.... Albeit in a separate field and happy with his life why change it. You might find that once he has his very own friend he might not be so happy leaving it and likewise the yearling might also feel the same. Horses that seem to be sensible souls can become very attached to each other. I think if I were in your position ( my position again) I would o ly get a companion who has already been living the life you are expecting it to have with you, ie left for periods of time and happy with that.

Thank you. Are you able to elaborate so i can try and compare? The thing is i dont think he is happy with his life the way it is. I also think there is a high chance he will fall head over heels with the little guy and vice versa.

Thanks all, really appreciate the help and advise

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I have a very similar set up to you 3 stables but just under 3 acres I have 2 horses 15h and 15.3, I am surrounded by fields with horses in as well but I can't leave just 1 horse out in the field, I have to bring them both in when I rode either of them, they just gallop around screaming and it just upsets them both then, I had the 15h with a bigger mare before these 2 together and I couldn't do it with them either, so it's something to consider if you want one to stay out personally it doesn't bother me bringing them both in, they are both ridden and are quite happy with a haynet left in alone.

Not_so_brave_anymore

Visit site
If your land isn't holding up to 24/7 turnout this year with one horse then odds are it won't next year with two. Are you happy stabling a 2yo every night? Is this yearling really right for you, or are you just taking it because you think no one else will? Why does no one else want it? You're not a rescue charity, you need a pony for a job. It sounds like this pony will not do that job, and it might give you a whole host of extra headaches.

You'd do much better with something a bit older, more of a known quantity. In fact, you'd do better with two minis (I know you said no "companion for a companion" but two minis will eat as much and do as much damage as one 12.2ish. And when you ride/ if you need to separate with electric tape for grazing reasons etc, the minis will have each other. And next winter you might be able to get away with bringing big horse in and leaving little ones out.

I really wouldn't take on this yearling if I were in your shoes!

MrsMurs

Visit site
to share my experience,
I’ve recently acquired a companion pony in need of a home, he’s a 14.1 gelding, 13 years. My ridden horse is an ID 16.3 and he has been kept very similar sounding to you, in that he has immediate neighbours in the next field but is happy to come in at night and watch his friends from his stable. He’s always been happy with that.

New pony isn’t quite such a chilled character as my own horse but I know him well from previous owner and cared enough about him to regime him with me when the owner became ill. I made sure his routine was established and from the outset he discovered that my gelding will come and go from the field most days. He objected initially and threw one big tantrum, but after that he seemed to learn that this was the deal. He generally seems ok about my gelding leaving the yard now, even when the other horses are in another part of their field and out of sight. Everyday there is another improvement from him as he adjusts to his new little world and settles.

as me and my lad are (lockdown notwithstanding) out and about a lot, I really needed the newbie to feel happy about being left alone, otherwise he couldn’t have stayed with me.

It’s lovely to feel as though you are ‘rescuing’ a horse or offering one a better home, but in my mind the realities need to be thought about in advance especially if you’re horse is happy l and settled.

I will add that ‘I’ feel happier knowing my boy has a friend in his stable, especially as I’m having to bring him in a bit earlier now because of the ground. Not that he seems to give a toss either way ?

Melandmary

Visit site
I moved my pony home from livery where she was used to being led in/out 1 at a time and being left while her field mate was ridden either in her stable or field ( with a treat ball). I got her a companion. For whatever reason they have both got too attached to either. They spend a lot of time grooming. The down side was that I couldn't do anything where they could not see each other at all times. Bring I / turn out. Standing on yard. Everything done as a pair or the newbie would try and jump out of stable( she did break the door down) or jump out of the field or try and run through the fence. Riding is out of the question unless someone brings the pony. I have been working with a behaviourist and they can tolerate a little more distance now but I have done alot of work to get here. I don't thi k my riding life will be normal again unless I get another ?. This yearling might be fine now, already on his own but once he has a field mate he might decide he never wants to be alone again. His age makes me fearful that this will be the case. It is lovely for your horse to have a friend andcertai ly preferable but I would rather get a asure thing companion rather than a risky choice. You might even find it is your horse that becomes the clingy one. Good luck a d think carefully

Flame_

Visit site
I have a very similar set up to you 3 stables but just under 3 acres I have 2 horses 15h and 15.3, I am surrounded by fields with horses in as well but I can't leave just 1 horse out in the field, I have to bring them both in when I rode either of them, they just gallop around screaming and it just upsets them both then, I had the 15h with a bigger mare before these 2 together and I couldn't do it with them either, so it's something to consider if you want one to stay out personally it doesn't bother me bringing them both in, they are both ridden and are quite happy with a haynet left in alone.

My arab's sidekick comes in and goes out with him, he doesn't deal with being in the field on his own. He's ok with staying in his stable while I ride my horse. This arrangement presents no problems for any of us either, except when the arab was at Leahurst for a couple of days and pony lasted all of a few seconds of his leg stretch before crashing through an electric fence screaming. Anyway, it's workable and if the pony is a handy companion and has other stuff going for him, as long as you've got a stable to put him in while you ride, I wouldn't discount him.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
My arab's sidekick comes in and goes out with him, he doesn't deal with being in the field on his own. He's ok with staying in his stable while I ride my horse. This arrangement presents no problems for any of us either, except when the arab was at Leahurst for a couple of days and pony lasted all of a few seconds of his leg stretch before crashing through an electric fence screaming. Anyway, it's workable and if the pony is a handy companion and has other stuff going for him, as long as you've got a stable to put him in while you ride, I wouldn't discount him.

Hey am not discounting the companion it's sometimes the pony or the whole environment that just dosnt work, both my horses are quite confident but they won't stay in a field on there own, and I accept that and I won't put them in that situation and I think that's the thing some horses do some don't

Scotsbadboy

Visit site
Rather than another horse or pony what about a goat? It would give your ID a grazing buddy and should be less stressed when you go out riding.

I hear nothing but bad things about goats so it hasnt even entered my radar, lol!

Thanks to those anti the idea, it really does help and thank you mrsmurs thats really helpful. Plenty more to think about then :(

pansymouse

Visit site
I don't think size difference is the issue, what is critical is that the companion is the same sort of doer as the first horse. If they have essentially the same feeding needs and neither is strongly dominant they it should be fairly simple.

Flame_

Visit site
Hey am not discounting the companion it's sometimes the pony or the whole environment that just dosnt work, both my horses are quite confident but they won't stay in a field on there own, and I accept that and I won't put them in that situation and I think that's the thing some horses do some don't

Sorry, if I wasn't clear. I was kind of agreeing with you. What I meant was that if SBB has a stable to put the companion in while the other horse works and the pony is happy with that but not with staying out, this can work fine :)