small cut, swollen leg

rforsyth1984

Visit site
Ned got a small, shallow cut on his hind leg in the field on tuesday (inside leg, about 1/3 down between hock and fetlock). I cleaned the leg, but didnt put anything on it.

Yesterday, his leg was swollen a bit from below the hock down to the fetlock and slightly warm, and he didnt like it being touched though not really lame. I cold hosed his leg, put some BR antibacterial jelly on, and he had bute in his tea and breakfast (on advice from vet to make sure he doesnt go sore on the foot where he lost a shoe).

It was still swollen this morning (but no worse) - he seemed less sore (because of the bute I assume?) but still a bit funny to have it touched. Have cold hosed and put BR on again. He is stabled because of the missing shoe, but will hopefully be back out at the weekend.

Should I be doing anything else? How long should it take for the swelling to go, i.e. should I call the vet if it is still swollen tomorrow?

katylee

Visit site
if he is stabled and not going out his leg might swell anyway. bandaging will help both. mine swell at the slightest nick!

AandK

Visit site
i think you are doing all you can, the swelling is the body's way of dealing with the trauma and as he is stabled due to the lost shoe, he will not be moving around so the swelling will not go down naturally..
could you not pad out (gamgee/nappy..) his shoe-less foot and walk him out a couple of times a day to get him moving.? unless the area gets hotter/more swollen/more painful i don't see much call to get the vet out, although may be worth keeping in touch..