Small Moan re electric fencing & attention seeking horse

Visit site
My mare has learnt a new trick - running full speed through electric fencing in a 'the grass is greener on the other side' manner. It isn't and she has ample hay and is warm and much loved but it is a real pain and not going down well with me or the livery owner. We have tested and refenced. She gets on well with her field mate and the horse on the other side - we have also stoped her getting to the one weak point in the fence so fingers crossed! On hols as from 2.00pm today so will be able to go and get her in earlier - which i think may be some of the problem - attention seeking! Roll on summer (as long as the grass can grow through the mud again) Anyone else had experience of the above?

Newbie_77

New User
Visit site
I've seen this before, unfortunately once they've learnt it there's not much you can do. You've got to give it to her, there's not many that learn that one!

We had a Perchron mare who'd break through the fencing, she once got it caught round her legs and went bombing down the track trailing meters of this elec tape and ping'ing off all the plastic stakes. Luckily the track led to no-where, one of those almost comical moments were you think this is going to take me ages to sort out.

We had to post & rail the field divider to get the mare fenced in safely in the end.

Good luck!

xoxalicexox

Visit site
i have the same problem, except i have to have electric fencing about 1 and a half metres in from the actuall fence because my horse has the attitude that the grass is greener on the other side aswell and was getting caught in the fence, the electric fence in working because when any other horse or human touches it they get a very big belt off it!! yet i found him the other day between the real fence and the elctric fence... it drives me mad!! though he hasnt done it for a while.
*touches wood*
Hope you can sort it soon, i know how fraustrating it is!!
xx

sojeph

Visit site
Does she wear a rug? Could you turn her out without it so she gets a good zapp?!
crazy.gif
grin.gif

Broodle

Visit site
My old pony used to do this too. She started, oddly enough, by breaking through post and rails (!) once she learned that if you lean and lean on them they will eventually give way. She then applied this tactic to the electric fence but quickly realised that this hurt. Finally she worked out, like your mare, that running at full pelt through it had the same effect with less pain... Expect that lots of you will be horrified at this but in the end my Dad rigged up the fence to some horribly high voltage (can't remember what now) temporarily, and only while we were there and supervising. It really did the trick! Wary of endorsing this approach, but deterrent is the only way for a really greedy/determined pony in my view...

Good luck!

xoxalicexox

Visit site
i think that is his problem, he knows that he is strong enough to get through anything that isnt a brick wall as hes a chunky 15.2 irsih cob X. I just had a thought aswell that hes is wearing 2 rugs atm as fully clipped and living out so he wont be getting nearly as much shock off it as the other pony is.
xx

Broodle

Visit site
Mine had the thickest coat imaginable so supect she only got a tickle from the normal voltage!! Hopefully your girl will respect the fence more when she encounters it naked...(ouch)!

OWLIE185

Visit site
If your horses are wearing rugs and the rug comes between the electric fence and the horse then the horse will not receive an electric shock.

Regarding hoirses going through post and rail this is only possible if the rail are not sufficiently thick and heavy duty. If one use heavy duty post and rail with equifencing on top they will not be able to damage it.

(I had a traditional cart horse that would go in to reverse gear with her rear end to destroy the fencing). However heavy duty rails and Equi-fencing sorted this problem out once and for all.

JoBo

s11.photobucket.com
Otto use to do this, and to be honest not much would stop him! I just knew he could so he would!

No Pain, No Feeling we used to say, he was a bit thick, bless him!

pottamus

Visit site
She won't be getting a shock off it if she is rugged. I find the best way to ensure a good belt is to lead the horse up to the tape, hold the horse so you are touching skin and touch the tape yourself....it hurts like hell because you get a bolt off it...but not half as much as the horse gets! Some would say cruel, and yes, it hurts you, but it sure does work! (not to be advised if hooked up to the mains though)!

MagicMelon

Visit site
Yep, one of mine does this - just charges really fast through it so he barely feels it. Its funny as hell coz I can watch him surveying the fence in the distance, approaching and then testing the weakest electric fencing poles which will fall down when he charges through. He used to jump it but for some reason decided that was too much effort (and not enough distruction....!) plus he gets to let out all the other neds too..... great.

Another one of mine has a very thick mane, he doesnt seem to feel the jolt through it! So he simply munches underneath it until suddenly, woopsie! The fence flicks over his back and he's out. I think it surprises him though as I dont think its intended!!

miss_bird

Visit site
i have this problem as well my 2 year old just keeps walking throught the electric fence whether she has a rug on or not and did even put the voltage up but she just walked through it right in front of us and for no reason as it leads no where only to the post and rail fencing.
A lot of people of here have told me to get a light chain and hang it round her neck with a piece hanging down also lightweight wire holding it all together incase she gets caught. am going to try it as it seems a well used practice over here on horses and cattle