Small rider ...big horse

Gerilew

Visit site
No point to this thread really but does anyone else get fed up with the constant comments about "how small you look on yr horse"
"Why did you buy a horse so big"
"What a big horse for such a small person"
I wouldn't dream of telling someone they are too fat for their horse so why do people feel the need to tell me how small I am!!
Rant over

FlyingCircus

Visit site
Hm, I'll bite!

I do think some people buy horses at a size to suit their egos rather than their needs. For example, I am 5ft2. I wouldn't dream of buying anything 16hh + (or even above 15hh to be honest!), because I'd not be able to ride it effectively.

Yet I know many people who have big horses for no other reason than wanting a big horse - usually warmbloods.

I don't call them out, but I do raise a brow occasionally when I see the pictures!

Frumpoon

Visit site
No point to this thread really but does anyone else get fed up with the constant comments about "how small you look on yr horse"
"Why did you buy a horse so big"
"What a big horse for such a small person"
I wouldn't dream of telling someone they are too fat for their horse so why do people feel the need to tell me how small I am!!
Rant over

No I take it as a massive compliment but I do think we should all practice telling people as kindly as possible they are too fat for their horses

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Hm, I'll bite!

I do think some people buy horses at a size to suit their egos rather than their needs. For example, I am 5ft2. I wouldn't dream of buying anything 16hh + (or even above 15hh to be honest!), because I'd not be able to ride it effectively.

Yet I know many people who have big horses for no other reason than wanting a big horse - usually warmbloods.

I don't call them out, but I do raise a brow occasionally when I see the pictures!
I had no intention of getting a big horse, he was my job and I was lucky enough to be given him.

Mrs. Jingle

Visit site
I do get remarks (or did before I had to temporarily stop riding last summer) but not so much my size and his size, I am 5'4" and he is 17.3, more my age and riding a big horse. I have owned and ridden larger horses back in the day.

Even my vet tells me I am 'very brave' to ride him lol! But I do think my vet sees me as this rather frail old lady who isnt quite right in the head! He does have a great deal of presence about him and people seem to think because of that he is this huge black horse that prances about dangerously, it couldn't be further from the truth he is actually one of the steadiest and safest horses I have had. In particular he is brilliant on very narrow lanes with big farm machinery thundering past him.

I was looking for something no bigger than 16.2 for my 70th birthday present to myself - but I was offered him at a bargain price and I felt so safe on him and he ticked almost all the other boxes I had for my 'last ever, ever' horse. So it is what it is.

Lipglosspukka

Visit site
I don't really get it either. Especially when the bigger ones as a general rule will break easier and die sooner and cost more to feed and are further to fall from and need bigger trailers and all the rest of it.

I suppose it makes bigger jumps feel smaller though ??‍♀️

Bernster

Visit site
It doesn’t matter if it works for horse and rider but one thing I hadn’t appreciated is that it can have an impact on riding. I had a lovely 16.3 for a while, I’m 5’3 and my short arms and her long neck did mean it was a challenge riding her properly!

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
I don't really get it either. Especially when the bigger ones as a general rule will break easier and die sooner and cost more to feed and are further to fall from and need bigger trailers and all the rest of it.

Sometimes they fall on your lap, or you just fall in love with them.. same as a horse of any size. I know more than most the downsides of a big horse, and I probably wouldn't have set out with the intention of getting a 19hh'er, but it happened and I wouldn't have changed him for the world in any respect, apart from his health of course! Saying that I am 5ft7 and long legged (and a bit chunky).

Agree that it does sometimes come with ego - but with anything there are exceptions to the rule.

Last edited:

coblets

Visit site
I can't really can't criticise as I'm not more than 5ft but can't stop looking at ads of Shires and Percherons...

What I do raise an eyebrow at is all the 13 year olds on Instagram with their 16/17 handers. Just think that it's more of a trend, and less of a "this was the absolute perfect horse for me".

teddypops

Visit site
I wouldn’t care if someone said that to me and I would think it’s just people making conversation rather than being mean but in the horse world it could be I guess. My friend who is 5’0” tall bought a 3 yo to make 16hh. He made 18hh and she was tiny on him but he was amazing to ride and it didn’t matter she was so small on him.

smolmaus

Visit site
I'm also 5'2" and love riding big horses. All the ones I've ridden regularly were very well schooled though so I never had a problem with feeling out of control or like I wasn't strong enough or anything. One of the steadiest and kindest horses at my old instructors yard was a big chunky 17.2 ID mare and I was on her from childhood and built like a twig at the time so I wasn't aware I was supposed to be apprehensive of riding big horses!

I don't see myself buying one though for uh, financial reasons.

muddybay

Visit site
I tried a 16.2 hh last year and he was taller than me at the wither! When I rode him I realized he was way too much horse for me and I couldn't use my leg how I'd like to so I got a 15.1 instead! I'm a whimp though

minesadouble

Visit site
At our yard there a few people with '17 hand' horses that would be lucky to measure 16hh on a stick ?

One of our liveries has a 17.1 that when it grazes next to my 16.1 is noticeably smaller than him!

RHM

Visit site
I wanted a 14.2-15.2 being only 5”4 and used to ponies but they are like hens teeth! Tried my mare and fell in love. She is only 16.1 but I also get the comments that I look tiny on her.

stormox

Visit site
What does it matter what horse someone else rides, or if you think they 'look to big' 'too small' or even too fat? Their horse their business!!
Unless its clearly a welfare issue - a 16 stone rider on a 14hh TB say - leave them to enjoy their horses.

blitznbobs

Visit site
I dont get it… i like riding big horses - i like their atride length- im not tall but im not a waif either… its not about ego its about enjoying the experience

Green Bean

Visit site
I bought a 'size' of horse that I thought I couldn't go below in height due to my weight, I am not hugely overweight but conscious that I would be too much for a 15:3hh TB. So yes, I set myself a minimum height. Was a bit put off when a saddler asked me why I had such a big horse. I am around 5ft5 and didn't think my 16hh ISH horse was too big for me!

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Then you don't fall into the above category. These people actively seek 16hh ++ horses for literally no reason.
That wasn’t part of the original question though, it was simply people commenting on riders having big horses..

sorry I reread. I thought you meant I shouldn’t have commented on the original question ??‍♀️ It’s been a long day!

planete

Visit site
I am a midget who used to like riding thoroughbreds when I was much younger. The depth and width of body are more of a problem than the length of the horses' legs for me. A 16.2 lightweight horse was just fine for a 5ft rider as far as I was concerned. I did hear a few 'pea on a drum' mutterings but who cares? Enjoy your horse.