small show dilema

alfirules

Visit site
my horse has recently been kicked on his hind fetlock and it is swollen. he isn't actually lame and the swelling has gone down so now it isnt swollen at all. i have been hosing his leg for 20 mins 2x daily and have been putting ice blue cooling gel on it every 4 hours (apart from nightime). it is a real disappontment as we have got a show sunday and we rarely go to shows so i really wnt to go. he has also been doing really lately with his jumping and showing. But i dont want to risk further damage to his leg.

so, what shall i do? is it best to not take him to showor will he be ok as he's not lame??

also, do you have any other suggestions on getting the swelling down?

thanks for reading, replies wil be very much appreciated

sharni

Visit site
If the horse was mine i wouldnt be working him at all let alone taking him to ashow. irreparable damage could be done to the weakened injury site. its just not worth risking your horse.

fjudge

Visit site
Maybe you should check with your vet? If it was me, i would do this and explain my concern....that way, if the vet says yes, you will have no after thoughts!! But at the end of the day, its your horse, so its totally up to you. Hope the horse is ok!

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
Visit site
I often lead horses out by hand as it will bring the swelling down but it depends on the swelling. If it is hot then its a definate no. If the swelling feels quite solid and has no real heat then walking out will often bring it down. Is there a scab for a cut? It could just be a mild infection. If the swelling comes down then that is great, keep hosing and for a small local show I feel you would be fine. I find Tbs are prone to getting big legs from scabs/wounds and have found purple spray used instantly to stop a lot of this.

alfirules

Visit site
thanks, his swelling eventually went down and i rode him day b4 the show and he was fine and swelling has not come back at all even after show!