Smallish cars for towing

mangobiscuit

Visit site
Does anyone know or have any info on which cars are suitable for towing a trailer but are on the smaller side of some stuff on the market....?

Was looking at Rav4 (Toyota) but not sure if this is powerful enough or heavy enough to tow????

HELP!

And yes......I too would love a Range Rover Sport but I have a price limit of around 11grand

katiejaye

Visit site
I wouldn't personally tow with a Rav4 as I don't think they have enough power/weight. I have a Jeep Cherokee which is on the smaller side and does a fantastic towing job and was very reasonable to buy second hand.

mangobiscuit

Visit site
Thanks for your feedback - think I'm gonna have a job finding something small enough for London but big enough to tow - LORRY IT IS THEN!! yeh right!
smirk.gif

Louby

Visit site
In my opinion Rav4 not suitable for towing, neither is the Honda?? Santa Fe (friend had one that just couldnt cope, something to do with the axels) Freelander can cope with trailer and one smaller horse on shorter journeys. We have a Diahatsu and love it, they can tow 3.5 ton and although not the most luxurious car are cheap and reliable. Indespension do (or did)a great book/manual which tells you the max weights, (towing, braking etc) of almost every car going.

mangobiscuit

Visit site
Do you find it fairly economic too? Am just about to have a look at what I can get for my money (far too easy to get carried away with this!)

lizzie_liz

Visit site
my parents tow with an isuzu trooper which has towed 2 16hh horses 230miles in one trip every 6 weeks when sis and i were away at school, we have had it for about 5 years or more and are about to get a new car, probs a land rover discovery but trying to find one thats not automatic!

mangobiscuit

Visit site
Yes there seem to be a lot of automatics about (not that there's anything wrong with them!!) but definately looking for a manual, diesel thing. The Cherokee is looking very appealing - God only knows how I will park the thing - am used to minute car!

Visit site
With any vehicle for towing you must rmember other than needing something powerful for pulling you must be able to stop to. No point haveing something that goes like a rocket and needing the london Heathrow runway to brake.

K9Wendy

Visit site
This website is great for matching cars and caravans, though I imagine it would do similar for horse trailer. http://www.whattowcar.com/ As horse trailers are not mentioned, work out what weight your trailer, horse & gear weigh then click on select car (put in your car make) then select any large caravan (I would suggest Hobby as they are heavy vans) then you will get an option to add car model and caravan model. Pick a caravan model with same weight as your trailer combination (all weights are listed) and it will tell you how good a match your car is for that weight. I hope this make sense!!

Clodagh

Visit site
Oops, just read your post, the Santa fe is the hyundai I think? Why couldn't it cope? I wanted one of them when my subaru dies!

K9Wendy

Visit site
We have the Hyundai Terracan, it boy can it tow.. You'd have no trouble with that. Hubby says i has a different frame to the Santa Fe making it a much better tow car. I'm sure there is a technical site somewhere that could it explain it better...

mangobiscuit

Visit site
grin.gif
maybe! Fin and Ty off on their travels across the country (of course they'll have to go together as they seem bloody inseperable!)

I have flu
mad.gif

I got progressively worse on the journey home and have dosed myself up with a million and one remedies...back to bed for me.

Was gonna ask if you could do Fin for me tmro?? I will do Ty sun if you want aswell as sat.....will txt you anyway.

x