Smart hooves but barefoot

LibbyL

Visit site
For pony club they insist we have oiled hooves inside and out, I have never oiled my mares feet because she is barefoot and I use keratex hoof hardener so I thought oils/balms that soften her hooves would be counter productive.

However now I am attending more rallies and for camp I have to do this so am looking for the best option. I like the look of both Silver Feet and Effol because they make the hooves look so smart but I don't want these to soften her hooves up.

Sorry for sounding so stupid but does anyone have any ideas please?
She has black hooves so want it to be black to enhance the colour.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
As someone who has three BF horses, I'd rather pop a bit of grease/olive oil on them for a rally than let Keratex Hoof Hardener anywhere near them, it's nasty stuff.

catkin

Visit site
My ponies don't wear shoes and their little black feet have a natural gleam if you brush the mud off - and that comes from feed and exercise rather than products. When we go showing I wipe round the hooves with a little olive oil just before they go in the ring - it doesn't 'stay put' for long, but doesn't harm the feet either. Rest of the time I don't put anything on them. If you need oiled hooves just for PC inspection perhaps this will do just fine.

Last edited:

MuddyMonster

Visit site
As someone who has three BF horses, I'd rather pop a bit of grease/olive oil on them for a rally than let Keratex Hoof Hardener anywhere near them, it's nasty stuff.

How so Faracat? I don't use anything on my BF boy, but I must admit, I've heard Keratex HH recommended by various people, so would be interested to see why you wouldn't recommend it :) I'm assuming it is to do with what is in it?

LibbyL

Visit site
Thank you for ideas, will look into that lindsay1993, however also need to do underside so not sure that would be ideal.

Faracat my farrier recommended it and seems to have good results so I have always been happy with Keratex, but interesting to know you don't recommend. What is so nasty about it if you don't mind me asking? :)

FfionWinnie

Visit site
I would use veg or olive oil if you have to. Otherwise I wouldn't bother using anything, particularly keratex which as Ester says is formalin. Formalin is used by some people on sheep and cattle with soft/lame/sore feet. In my opinion all it does is seal the infection inside and dry the foot out. It's not a good way of toughening up feet, in the long term, for any animal.

Greylegs

Visit site
I scrub my lads feet clean and put a very light coating of Megatek on them. It's basically coconut oil so makes them look nice for dressed up occasions but doesn't do them any harm or make them soft. Also used for conditioning his mane ...... (Or just use coconut oil on his feet)

Eta ... My boy is a highland, 17 years old and never worn a shoe in his life.

LibbyL

Visit site
Stupid question time...it's just come and is really solid, do I just use a normal hoof oil brush with it? Can't really imagine it picking up enough of the balm to do anything? Probably just me being silly though!