Smarten me up for day to day riding please?

Fifty Bales of Hay

Visit site
I tend to go to the farm with as many layers on, and a thick waterproof below bottom length coat, to warm off the wind and cold.

Then do the horses, and get ready to ride out - we only hack so sometimes can be just walking so not particularly energetic or warming work. But of course I finish off in my thick coat and just put my hi vis on over the top and off I go.

I must look a right state - and when I see reflections in the windows I just look away as I don't like the look.

So please can you suggest what I could buy to smarten up my day to day hacking? Mainly I think it's my jacket - it needs to be:

Waterproof
Not bomber jacket style, longer length to cover my whole back
Any colour, although I prefer darker colours as show less dirt
A hood is useful but not a deal breaker
Warm lining
Not overly expensive

Boots I wear my longer leg Dublin River type boots, which look OK - but they even on my short length legs tend to slip down and don't make my legs (short and fat) look the best. But they are practical as I can do all the yard jobs, then brush off and get on with riding. But open to suggestions on boots also. I could go back to boots and leggings but not sure these when I did, improved the overall look.

Tarragon

Visit site
I have ordered new jods and I have washed my florescent coat in preparation of warmer weather, and pony's coat is coming out in handfuls and gets a good groom when it is dry enough, so I do make an effort

atropa

Visit site
I look like a bag lady at the yard so no help, BUT I don't understand how anyone can work on the yard with layers..I am constantly sweating inside my jacket or fleece as soon as a I start to do anything physical, starting to think I might actually have a problem!

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
I look like a bag lady at the yard so no help, BUT I don't understand how anyone can work on the yard with layers..I am constantly sweating inside my jacket or fleece as soon as a I start to do anything physical, starting to think I might actually have a problem!

You don't, I am the same. I wear a fleece long sleeve top and that is about it, and has been for a while now. Whereas everyone else seems to be in jumpers and coats. I am sweating as soon as I muck out/ride.

NLPM

Visit site
I know what you mean... I often meet some immaculate people and horses on my hacks, and I feel terribly scruffy! I also think it's difficult to find smart horsey coats as they're generally quite bulky and have to be certain materials - my (non-horsey!) smart coats are all nicely fitted in a way that would make riding/mucking out difficult, and/or they're wool or similar so would smell awful after a while near horses.

For starters, what about these coats? Are either of them vaguely on the right lines? First one doesn't look that warm even though it's fleece lined, so could be good for this time of year. They've both got side or rear zips so would be comfy to ride in.

https://gsequestrian.co.uk/collections/coats-jackets/products/hkm-hickstead-rain-coat

https://gsequestrian.co.uk/collecti...s/dublin-black-wendy-waterproof-jacket-ladies

Steerpike

Visit site
I have long ago given up on trying to look presentable at the yard or when working the horses it's only me and them and they don't give a hoot what I look like. The only time I do make an effort to look smart is when I go to an endurance ride. I have a musto coat I save especially for endurance rides which is clean and smart and one for home which is covered in mud my noble outfitters balance riding tights look reasonably smart again I have a pair especially for rides and others I use just at home.

Starzaan

Visit site
Ok, I’m actually a pro at this as running a yard and charging high prices for so many years taught me how to be horsey but smart.
If you don’t like a bomber jacket, go for something like the Weatherbeeta Kyla coat - ticks all your boxes.
You need base layers - collared ones look smart, polo shirts or rugby shirts, and a good gilet.
On legs I would always go with either smart dark breeches (I like grey, navy or brown) or skinny jeans (Topshop Joni jeans are amazing as high waisted and very stretchy) and a good pair of yard boots.
The key then to looking smart when hacking is switching to your nice riding boots, and keeping yard boots for yard work. Will make both pairs last a lot longer.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Everyone jokes saying I look like an equestrian cat walk model I don't know why because it's just how I dress! My key thing is I do always match which helps a lot, I tend to wear thin roll neck thin fleece then a bodywarmer gillet type thing, skinny jeans or jods or breeches and always riding boots I never ride in country boots, if it's freezing I have big coats I bung over the top, I often wear leggings under my leg wear to keep warmer
Or other option is buy a really smart riding jacket and only wear it for riding so it stays clean and nice.

In summer I wear the same but just a t shirt a collared one normally with a thin gillet or a vest if it's boiling.

tatty_v

Visit site
I’m not the smartest and am often jealous of those who look a lot more put together than me, but these are my tips:

Avoid fleeces if you have a grey, within minutes I’m covered in grey hairs!

I keep my riding boots just for riding in (bareback equestrian, bought them at YHL last year and loving them) and muck out in my wellies.

I also keep my navy and fluoro horsewear coat just for riding in and muck out in one of my old musto ones.

I like breeches - Mark Todd denim ones are lovely and smart without being too pricey and this winter I’ve got a lot of use out of a dark plum soft shell pair with fleece lining.

OrangeAndLemon

Afraid of exorcism
Visit site
I like my Musto BR1 jacket. Waterproof, longer in the back and washes well. I usually go with plain colour jodphurs and breeches without logos so they don't obviously age. And headbands to avoid hat hair.

As for layering, I have a M&S thermal long sleeve top which keeps me very warm so I can just pop a fleece over the top. I love noble outfitters cowls. Any half zip fleece will work well between a good coat and a thermal layer underneath. Look at walking gear for nice things that work.

Fifty Bales of Hay

Visit site
I know what you mean... I often meet some immaculate people and horses on my hacks, and I feel terribly scruffy! I also think it's difficult to find smart horsey coats as they're generally quite bulky and have to be certain materials - my (non-horsey!) smart coats are all nicely fitted in a way that would make riding/mucking out difficult, and/or they're wool or similar so would smell awful after a while near horses.

For starters, what about these coats? Are either of them vaguely on the right lines? First one doesn't look that warm even though it's fleece lined, so could be good for this time of year. They've both got side or rear zips so would be comfy to ride in.

https://gsequestrian.co.uk/collections/coats-jackets/products/hkm-hickstead-rain-coat

https://gsequestrian.co.uk/collecti...s/dublin-black-wendy-waterproof-jacket-ladies

I do like the first one, but not so keen on the second one. But yes along these lines, just smarter and more "fitted" I guess than my general coat, which is great as it never lets the water in and keeps me warm on the coldest of days.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I have Mountain Horse boots for stable duties and add some nice half chaps or gaiters to ride. Ariat or Treadstep.

I have the Derby House breeches, they cost less than £50 on eBay and fit beautifully. They look expensive - not the stuffed sausage look.

For jackets I go to Mountain Warehouse for the showerproof micro fleece jackets. For warmer winter ones I like Mountain Horse or Ariat again.

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
Red beat me to suggesting mountain warehouse, so I'll second that suggestion - they have a great selection of coats, at reasonable prices.

Fifty Bales of Hay

Visit site
Thank you everyone for your replies, Tarragon - mine is fuzzy and with beard also, but I do always get the mud off before I ride in an effort to look half reasonable.

Ok, I’m actually a pro at this as running a yard and charging high prices for so many years taught me how to be horsey but smart.
If you don’t like a bomber jacket, go for something like the Weatherbeeta Kyla coat - ticks all your boxes.
You need base layers - collared ones look smart, polo shirts or rugby shirts, and a good gilet.
On legs I would always go with either smart dark breeches (I like grey, navy or brown) or skinny jeans (Topshop Joni jeans are amazing as high waisted and very stretchy) and a good pair of yard boots.
The key then to looking smart when hacking is switching to your nice riding boots, and keeping yard boots for yard work. Will make both pairs last a lot longer.

Thank you Starzaan - some very good pointers in here, and I like the Weatherbeeta Kyla coat - this time of year I don't mind so much the bomber style - its just the harsher winter I really prefer to have my back well and truly covered. I need some smarter base layers too rather than "making do" with old gear. Yes I must try and change boots from my yard boots.

SOS

Visit site
I like to look smart on the yard and have found it very easy now I have a wardrobe of outfits.

Base layers and roll necks look very smart with jumpers, fleeces or gillets layered over. Mountain warehouse and similar are great for picking up cheap layers just make sure they are fitted and not baggy for a smarter look. A set of colours that match so all your outfits go and can be interchanged...I.e grey, navy and burgundy.

Puffer jackets look smart and again can be picked up cheaply at walking shops. Along with a smart longer coat for cold days (down to knee) ideally with some sort of shaping or belt.

Make sure your breeches fit and are of good quality as they look much smarter than jods. Similarly skinny jeans are a favourite of mine.

Wear long boots for riding and riding only and jod boots or a nice pair of country boots for yard work. Keep both clean!

Keep everything clean - smelly, stiff horsey jackets don’t make you feel great. Regular washing keeps you feeling clean and put together. Gloves, hat silks and hiviz are often forgotten about! Wash them regularly and when hole-y or past repair replace!

To look absolutely fabulous: For after riding a bobble hat, cap or ear warmer to hide that sweaty hat look. A spritz of dry shampoo before going to the yard can absorb the sweat, and tie your hair in a bun to ride so it has a natural wave to it rather than getting blown about in a pony tail.
Also a good quality moisturiser applied before going to the yard and regular chapstick keeps you looking fresh.

Fifty Bales of Hay

Visit site
Everyone jokes saying I look like an equestrian cat walk model I don't know why because it's just how I dress! My key thing is I do always match which helps a lot, I tend to wear thin roll neck thin fleece then a bodywarmer gillet type thing, skinny jeans or jods or breeches and always riding boots I never ride in country boots, if it's freezing I have big coats I bung over the top, I often wear leggings under my leg wear to keep warmer
Or other option is buy a really smart riding jacket and only wear it for riding so it stays clean and nice.

In summer I wear the same but just a t shirt a collared one normally with a thin gillet or a vest if it's boiling.

Pinkyboots what types and brands of clothing do you buy out of interest? Oh gosh I'd love to look like an equestrian cat walk model or be referred as one! I'm not sure that's going to happen, but I can dream lol.

I could buy a really smart riding jacket and keep it just for riding in - any suggestions or links to any in particular or could you have a look and give me a few ideas please, much appreciated.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Pinkyboots what types and brands of clothing do you buy out of interest? Oh gosh I'd love to look like an equestrian cat walk model or be referred as one! I'm not sure that's going to happen, but I can dream lol.

I could buy a really smart riding jacket and keep it just for riding in - any suggestions or links to any in particular or could you have a look and give me a few ideas please, much appreciated.

I have a really massive horse clothes wardrobe pricing varies I have equestrian clothing from Aldi and more high end like Ariat, Dubarry, joules, I just tend to make sure I have lots of things that match and look nice I don't care particularly that it's expensive as long as it looks good, I buy quite a few of my jackets and gillets on EBay as I like a lot of the older styles of some of them, even charity shops are worth a look I much prefer an individual look so I have picked up some really good things and have paid very little money for a lot of my stuff and the rest I buy in sales when it's cheaper, it doesn't even have to be equestrian stuff I just buy what I like.

I really love everyday clothes anyway and have always really enjoyed buying them and putting them together, so I just do the same with my riding and yard clothes, you really don't need to spend a lot of money to look good as much as I love some expensive stuff you can still look good without the cost.

Fifty Bales of Hay

Visit site
I like to look smart on the yard and have found it very easy now I have a wardrobe of outfits.

Base layers and roll necks look very smart with jumpers, fleeces or gillets layered over. Mountain warehouse and similar are great for picking up cheap layers just make sure they are fitted and not baggy for a smarter look. A set of colours that match so all your outfits go and can be interchanged...I.e grey, navy and burgundy.

Puffer jackets look smart and again can be picked up cheaply at walking shops. Along with a smart longer coat for cold days (down to knee) ideally with some sort of shaping or belt.

Make sure your breeches fit and are of good quality as they look much smarter than jods. Similarly skinny jeans are a favourite of mine.

Wear long boots for riding and riding only and jod boots or a nice pair of country boots for yard work. Keep both clean!

Keep everything clean - smelly, stiff horsey jackets don’t make you feel great. Regular washing keeps you feeling clean and put together. Gloves, hat silks and hiviz are often forgotten about! Wash them regularly and when hole-y or past repair replace!

To look absolutely fabulous: For after riding a bobble hat, cap or ear warmer to hide that sweaty hat look. A spritz of dry shampoo before going to the yard can absorb the sweat, and tie your hair in a bun to ride so it has a natural wave to it rather than getting blown about in a pony tail.
Also a good quality moisturiser applied before going to the yard and regular chapstick keeps you looking fresh.

Some good ideas in here too. I like the idea of layering as thats what I am used to doing - just not with the right things. The top layer has to be my most important as will be on view mostly.

Again wearing my boots only for riding seems an important change I have to make, and perhaps get a proper pair of boots for each job is better than trying to manage with one pair.

Thanks.

vam

Visit site
Have a look at Kramer Equestrian, they do nice rider wear that isn't bank breaking and looks stylish. I tend to ride in a hoodie with a high neck base layer in the winter, breeches and proper boots. I don't really like wearing coats as find them restrictive so live in body warmers. I have a coat for wet weather but that tends to come off when I'm doing jobs out of the rain.
Summer is easier to look smart but i think boots are important to the look and for everything to fit well.

TPO

Visit site
Second the suggestions for outdoor shops and Kramer equestrian.

Outdoor shops do sensible, practical clothes without the price tag that "equestrian" attracts.

Depending on budget try supermarkets and Primark or M&S for layers. Long sleeved cotton tops, poloshirts, polonecks and gilets are all cheaper from there then equestrian brands.

If you have some money to spend then investing in a good coat and boots will give you value for money.

Ditto the advice to swap yard boots for riding boots but remember to swap back for yard work.

A cheap hack is to get overalls and/or thin waterproofs to pull on at the yard. Keeps your clothes cleaner/fresher/hay and hair free.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
I have been told that I looked smart when out hacking in the past which was nice. :)

I shall share my secret... my Musto Suffolk long coat.

Apart from in hot weather I put this over my scruffy self and it covers all sorts of holes, poo stains, hair covered jumpers etc... Teamed with my *clean* riding hat, which is kept nice by being put on only for riding and then taken off again straight away after dismounting it gives a good impression. I try to keep my hi viz clean too and replace it if it fades.

Annagain

Visit site
I can 100% say I've never really considered what I look like when I ride and couldn't tell you whether any of my friends are smart or not. It's not just something I think about.

bouncing_ball

Visit site
I can 100% say I've never really considered what I look like when I ride and couldn't tell you whether any of my friends are smart or not. It's not just something I think about.

I don’t much either. Nor for horse as long as mud off tack areas.

I do try and wear clean (ish) clothes for lessons. Though sometimes aren’t that clean anymore by time get to lesson! Dark clothing helps I think.

Fifty Bales of Hay

Visit site
I have been told that I looked smart when out hacking in the past which was nice. :)

I shall share my secret... my Musto Suffolk long coat.

Apart from in hot weather I put this over my scruffy self and it covers all sorts of holes, poo stains, hair covered jumpers etc... Teamed with my *clean* riding hat, which is kept nice by being put on only for riding and then taken off again straight away after dismounting it gives a good impression. I try to keep my hi viz clean too and replace it if it fades.

Clever idea just get a nice coat and cover everything underneath LOL. Do you not get too hot sometimes though in the Musto Long Coat?

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
I have one with no padding (I think some of the most recent ones were padded so more for winter only) so it is fine for most of the year with appropriate clothes underneath. I don't have an answer for warm, dry weather yet. ;)

s-l1600.jpg

indie1282

Visit site
I like long sleeved base layers as they are nice and lightweight and dry quick if you get caught in a shower but rather than pay for le meuix or other equestrian brands I get mine from Sports Direct, usually for £10 - £15.

I think one of those with a nice gillet/bodywarmer paired with neutral coloured breeches/tights looks smart. I'm not a fan of country boots and will always wear my boots and gaiters when riding.

In the summer I like a nice polo shirt or sleeveless thank style top, never strappy.

Fifty Bales of Hay

Visit site
So in the boredom of self isolation I've gone onto the Kramer Equestrian website and done some shopping, sitting nicely in my basket (but not paid for) is £350 worth of things to smarten me up. But I think I've got to scale it down a bit, and add to my collection gradually lol rather than two of everything all at the same time.

I've gone for matching and co-ordinating colours of Plum and Petrol and got new breeches, polo short sleeves, polo long sleeves, gilets, and a summer and a winter coat. Think I might have gone a bit mad and excited.