smelly dog!

touchstone

Visit site
Hi, I was hoping you knowledgable lot had some tips for getting rid of a doggy smell from my lab. He's a chocolate 2 year old male, neutered, no ear or anal gland problems, but his skin itself seems to smell :confused:

He does enjoy a dip in the river everyday and I'm wondering if this is a contributing factor. He's fed on Skinners hypoallergenic duck and rice with a tiny bit of Butchers meat mixed in.

Any suggestions please:confused::D

horsemadelsie

Visit site
I bought companion brand dog shampoo from my local saddlery, its with aloe vera so is very good for the skin, and isn't too expensive. I wasn't expecting much as its cheap, but my dog has rolled in some pretty bad stuff over the years and it has always got the smell out!
Also, if you look around, you can buy 'doggie perfume' to cover bad smells in between baths!! :D

Wundahorse

Visit site
My blond Labs got exactly the same problem and it doesn't help when she rolls in fox poo and other pungent things.I bought some spray from pethead yesterday so will be trialling this.My Border Collies are so clean in comparison and i wonder if it is a Lab trait.

touchstone

Visit site
Thanks guys, it's nice to know I'm not the only one with a smelly hound!

I think the yeast overgrowth sounds a possibility, so I'll give the malaseb a go.

I've had loads of dogs over the years and none have been so smelly bless him, and thats without rolling in the obligatory fox poo or dead creature.:eek:

Dobiegirl

Visit site
My friends Lab had this a few years ago and I thought it was anal glands but she said her vet had checked. After a few visits back to the vet he discovered that yes indeed he had impacted anal glands and cleared them out and the smell disappeared.

touchstone

Visit site
My friends Lab had this a few years ago and I thought it was anal glands but she said her vet had checked. After a few visits back to the vet he discovered that yes indeed he had impacted anal glands and cleared them out and the smell disappeared.

Hi Dobiegirl, thanks for that. I'm pretty sure its not his anal glands, it's quite a different smell, and after reading up on yeast infections in dogs I'm pretty sure that it is likely that.:) Will give the shampoo a go and see what happens, but will make a visit to the vets to check if there's no improvement.