Smelly dog!

siennamiller

Visit site
Can anyone give me any advice on how to stop my dog smelling?
He’s a fox red labradoodle (3/4 lab), 4 year old neutered male.
He has a chunk or raw chicken in the morning, and complete raw dog food in the evening (nature’s menu).
He’s full of beans, not overweight at all (after a diet to remove 5kg), has a walk of 5/7 k per day.
He had his anal glands squeezed on Friday, and the vet couldn’t understand why they were full as he’s raw fed, and the smell was a bit similar. My living room stinks!
Any help would be appreciated.

{97702}

Visit site
Sounds like he isn't getting enough roughage to manage his anal gland problem - is it a kind of sickly fishy smell? It's vile...

Do you feed him bone as part of his raw diet? Although not actually roughage, it does make the poo firm which improves anal gland problems - otherwise I'd recommend investigating feeding him some roughage to improve his digestion. I know one of mine was prone to problems, but when I switched her to a raw diet (including bone through chicken wings etc) the problem went

siennamiller

Visit site
Yes, his mouth is ok pr1nce, Lévrier, the chicken he has in the morning is raw thigh or drumstick on the bone, he sometimes has bones, but he’s not that fussed with bones. Any ideas on roughage I could safely add into a raw diet?
Girl Friday thanks, I’ll have a look.

Widgeon

Visit site
Yes, his mouth is ok pr1nce, Lévrier, the chicken he has in the morning is raw thigh or drumstick on the bone, he sometimes has bones, but he’s not that fussed with bones. Any ideas on roughage I could safely add into a raw diet? .

Our dog likes bran flakes, just human cereal ones from a cheap brand. I've found that the cheaper brand ones actually contain more wholewheat than expensive ones. I don't know whether that would help? It definitely helps him with poo consistency wherever it's a bit off! (ah what a lovely topic)

siennamiller

Visit site
Lol, he’s a 3/4 lab, he eats anything since he’s had his bits off, I tried giving him carrots and he will eat a whole one!
I’ll try some bran flakes.
Thanks everyone :)

twiggy2

Visit site
It might be worth changing his diet by taking out the chicken.
Yes you would need do find another meat to feed in the Morning and make sure you feed a chicken free meal in the evening, if you do this for 10 weeks and the smell goes it may be than he has an allergy to chicken-its one of the most common allergies.

siennamiller

Visit site
It might be worth changing his diet by taking out the chicken.
Yes you would need do find another meat to feed in the Morning and make sure you feed a chicken free meal in the evening, if you do this for 10 weeks and the smell goes it may be than he has an allergy to chicken-its one of the most common allergies.
That’s an interesting thought, I’ll give that a go. Thanks

siennamiller

Visit site
Will try some sweet potato, he does like it.
Cinnamon toast, no, I washed everything to make sure he hadn’t squirted on the bedding ����