Smelly haylage

holeymoley

Visit site
Probably a bit of a trivial problem...

I’m not bothered by horse ‘smells’ or farmy ‘smells’ and I’m in no way precious about anything like that at all, however I have came across a rather frustrating issue. One of the horse’s in the barn area where my horse is stabled is the only one in our area on haylage. And it is extremely smelly. Not in a good way. The bale itself smells fine but once in the stable it smells very very sour. It wouldn’t bother me in the slightest normally but, the smell sticks to your hair, you skin, your clothes, everything! It’s a very sour smell, the only way I can describe is if your clothes have been washed and haven’t dried correctly. Not ideal if I nip up before work or such. So, is this haylage bad? Has it gone off? Any tips other than piling my hair in to a hat and wearing a hazmat suit?!

Any tips greatly received ?. Totally a trivial problem but I’m having 2 showers a day, washing clothes after one wear and I can still smell it?

Birker2020

Visit site
We used to have haylage like that when the yard produced their own for a time. After doing my horses nets with it, I went to Tescos and there were two lads in front of me in the queue and they said"'Euugh can you smell baby sick?". I was mortified.

I wouldn't say there was anything wrong with it, if you are concerned you could get it analysed to check its okay to use.
You could always get some fabric spray, Wilko do a lovely one and it's only £1. I tend to cover my clothes with it as my horses wee is very strong and some times I feel like I smell like I've been bathing in it, I reek!

https://www.wilko.com/en-uk/wilko-exotic-ylang-freesia-fabric-freshener-750ml/p/0438813

holeymoley

Visit site
Thank you. Yes that’s also an accurate description of what it smells like! I have some fabulosa spray too.