Smith's Lawn... dithering

LoneRanger

Visit site
So went and walked the PN course at Smith's Lawn yesterday in preparation for tomorrow. I was expecting the going to be appauling and anticipated that I'd only do the dressage. In fact, apart from fence one, three and the final fence, the going is ok (mostly sandy though woods). Now the showjumping arena on the other hand has hard, rutted going even though they're watering (the water is making no difference at all).

The show jumps will be tiny and the course fairly short but I can't decide if it's worth the risk. It only takes him to put his foot in a rut at a funny angle and that's a tendon done. On the other hand it's only a remote possibility that this will happen. I can't believe he'd be jarred up from one show jumping round and I'll give him physio on Wed and Thurs anyway just in case. I hate these decisions. What would everyone else do?

SillyMare

Visit site
Think it is a descision you will have to make yourself - impossible to comment without actually seeing the ground.

See what the professionals do with their good young horses - if they are all withdrawing then that is probably a good guide.

wodger_woo

Visit site
I agree with SillyMare, see what the pro's are doing.

You could also see how the course is riding, if the rutted ground is causing a problem with tripping etc then save it for another day. You could even jump the first and if you think your horse isn't coping with the ground then retire.

I appreciate how hard the descion is to make, we work so hard for these days of compettion.

LoneRanger

Visit site
Yes it's a shame that I'm the only one who can make the decision! It'd be so much easier if someone could make it for me! I will go and see how it's riding. I'm late in the day so hopefully everyone else will have broken the ground up for me a bit.

The decision's all the more difficult when you've only got one horse. Ho hum.

dixie

Visit site
It sounds like your head is saying don't do it. Why risk it especially if you've only got one horse. I personally wouldn't follow what the pro's are doing - they have several horses and they are often not even theirs., so their decision are based on a different criteria, if this makes sense.

I can appreciate how frustrating it is as it is something we all work and practise for.

LoneRanger

Visit site
Well all reports say that the watering is having effect and has softened the ground. Very few withdrawals today so fingers crossed it's improved since I walked it. Have to say it's the first event where I've seen them watering the arena so am hoping their efforts have paid off. Will let you know.

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
If you've got any doubts in your mind then go with your feelings. If you have these doubts in your mind it will affect the way you ride it. If its rutted ground then steer clear from the event, there will be other events but you only have the one horse. Your decision though.