snaffles ...

Visit site
My pony is currently ridden in a French Link Eggbutt snaffle for everything but my instructor has suggested it might be a good idea to try him in a loose ring snaffle (as he has a tendency to lean on the bit)

Would this make a difference?
confused.gif

morgan4eva

Visit site
it can make a difference, but i'd try a copper roller snaffle. like the title the bar ofthe bit (which is where he's leaning) has lots of peices of metal the roll.
1) it keeps him occupied
2) it stop him grabbing and holdingthe bit. or leaning on it.
Give it a go.
XX M4E
smirk.gif

christian

RaThEr-bE-RiDiN0610.bebo.com
ye the loose ring would work because it has more movement then the normal eggbutt s makes it more diffucult for him to lean. I used a waterford fulmer on my mare that did this because allthough it is still a snaffle, all the links in the mouth peice made it very difficult for her to lean- worked a dream!

finnegan

New User
Visit site
To be honest, I don't think there is a miracle bit for lightening him on his forehand - thats something that needs to be worked on with you as a partnership, but the waterford will help to minimise his leaning, which will go someway to lightening him up in front.

miller

Visit site
Will definitely give him less to lean on - geting off the forehand will take time to build up the correct muscles and get him used to a more correct way of going.

Personally, would swap to the same bit but loose ringed and go from there.

Nic

Visit site
I have just changed my boy from a hanging snaffle to a loose ring french link Kangaroo one and it has meade a big difference, he has stopped leaning on me altogether

pocket

Visit site
I would try a loose ring first and work on lightening through transitions, leg yields, half halt etc. Your instructor will give you exercises to do. My old pony had a tendency to go on the forehand but I maintained him in a snaffle. My horse also has a tendency to do this as well, so I changed him over to a springer KK (similar principle to copper bit that was suggested, aids salivation) and with help from my instructor, he is now lovely a light. Persevere before going for a stronger bit, especially if you fancy having a go at dressage, good luck, patience is a virtue...........honest
wink.gif

Visit site
yes we are working on the schooling too and I make much difference. I have been bringing him on for a while now lol snd he has improved so much already!
laugh.gif