SNAKES anyone??

ticobay831

Visit site
Hi, well ive come home from work with the latest addition to the family, a corn snake
grin.gif
. Reason why ive got him is a long story, basically i know hardly anything about them, i am checking out websites right now to get some info. obviously the previous owner is on hand anytime and has given me a few tips. I would very much like to pick hi up but apparantly he can be a bit nippy and basically im having problems with that. Ive been told to pick him up gently just behind the head and be positive, yeah right, not sure whose more frightend me or the snake
smirk.gif
Dose anyone here own one? can you give me any tips.
thanks
Debs x

Tia

Visit site
Nope I don't own one but we have tonnes of free snakes over here and we can pick them up with no problems whatsoever. They often crawl around the garden so I pick them up and take them down to the fields in amongst the stone field bottoms.

SSM

Visit site
No sorry - they turn me cold - I can cope with any insect or reptile as long as it has legs!!!

Snakes, worms, maggots etc and I run a mile!!!

parsley

Visit site
Isn't there anyone else in the family that you can persuade to have a go first - if they get bitten then you know not to do it
grin.gif

calon

Visit site
we have had loads keep the temp right and make sure it has ample water and can get in the water if it wants handle gentley and make sure lid very secure they are great escsape artists there are plenty of keepers books around i would get one of those also u will find out plenty from search on web they are very cute our biggest was an indian python 7ft but we have had the little ones too . good luck with it

henryhorn

www.narramorehorses.blogspot.com
Euch Tia, I am absolutley terrified of snakes!
Are you saying you pick up totally wild ones in your hands and carry them?
I only ever saw one adder in our indoor school a few years back and I have never ever walked in there since without looking for the thing. (it was coiled ready to strike at the cat who was dancing round it tormenting it )

eohippus

equi-librium.mysite.orange.co.uk
My snake is sometimes okay to handle, sometimes not, expecially when due for feeding. I tend to use something other that the hand to feed, so when giving it is furries use a long tong or something to put it in with not your hand. You could also use a thick glove to pick it up with for the first few times, even though they can be quick the bit does not really hurt, it is more likely to make you jump than hurt you, so with glove on you will feel protected for the first few times until you get used to it. once you have hold of it, it will just move around your hands. As said previously make sure the vivarium is completely escape free, they can get out of the smallest gaps.
Good luck
Dawn

hairycob

Visit site
We used to have 2 corn snakes - had them for about 12 years. One of hours was very relaxed being handled - it liked to go up your sleeve & sleep there. The other one was always more edgy & never seemed to relax. He did bite a couple of times, but a bite from a corn snake is just like having a couple of pins stuck in you (although fingers can bleed dramatically!). Just handle for very short periods until they get used to you & make sure they don't go inside an armchair - one of ours did & wouldn't come back out until he was hungry again. We had to turn the chair upside down to make sure no one sat on it as we were worried he would get squashed. Once they are used to you handle them regularly or they forget. Despite what people say snakes do have different personalities & some are friendlier than others.

Tia

Visit site
Yeah, they really aren't scary at all. Even Meg picks them up and finds them a new home in amongst the huge rocks. They're quite nice and very pretty colours. We don't have poisonous ones in Ontario thankfully - don't think I would be picking those up! LOL!!

ticobay831

Visit site
fancy popping over here and hadling this one Tia
grin.gif

Only joking, would be great if you could though.
Well had a good read about them and felt really confident, i was going to do this, got my self siked up and then....... i got my daughter to pick him up, cause i bottled it
frown.gif
well it shot from under its bark, hissed and bit her
grin.gif
sorry
frown.gif

It didnt really hurt but she wont do it again, what am i going to do now
confused.gif

Ive got a friend at work whose been brought up with snakes so i am going to ask her if she will have him for a couple of weeks, get him used to being handled.
Grumpy little bugger, him.
mad.gif

Thanks for your advice guys, cant beleive im being a wuss
smirk.gif

Debs x