Snobbery over Ready Made Horses

dieseldog

Visit site
I just don't get why there is such a stigma attached to buying a horse that is capable of doing the job you want when you buy it. It seems that unless you struggle for a few years with a youngster/difficult horse that what you achieve is some how less valid.

It is even stranger when you consider all the 'no one will buy my horse posts, its a superstar at this and that....' what do people expect when it seems that anyone buying this superstar will automatically be labelled a pot hunting, rich, spoilt, unprepared to put any work in person?

I work full time and know my limits. I have no desire to break in a youngster and then train it for X years until it gets to the point I want to be at, nor do I want some 'he's so talented but has issues' moron horse. I'd rather pay a bit more for something I can enjoy straight away, and you are probably only looking at about a £1-2K difference (not a lot on an interest free credit card!), even less of a price difference if all you want is a horse to hack.

Murphs_Mum

Visit site
I was willing to pay quite a lot for the type of horse I wanted when I got Murphy (didn't have to in the end luckily) I just didn't want any hassle, just something schooled well mannered and straightforward. Can see why people like the achievement of making a horse themselves though and personally I would probably buy a younger unmade horse next time. Think it just depends on your circumstances - and your finances although there are some really expensive horses out there at the moment.

TGM

Visit site
I think people ride horses for many different reasons - some people just want to compete, some people really enjoy schooling, whilst others get an adrenalin rush from getting on something dangerous!

Personally I have no desire to get on something that rears or is a looney on the roads, but I do enjoy schooling and I don't think I'd get much enjoyment from buying something that could just go out and do the job straight away. But that is just my personal viewpoint and I can see why some people want something they can compete with straight away, especially if they have a busy lifestyle.

lisan

pets.webshots.com
I bought a ready made one, still taken some time to get to grips with her, would hate to think how long it would have taken with a youngster! Don't care what people think, she does everything I want her to do (apart from dressage which we do badly
blush.gif
) but we have loads of fun, which is what is should be about!

the watcher

Visit site
I agree, if I had the means to buy a ready made horse for the disciplines I wanted to do, I would have..and broken less bones in the process. Sadly I have never been in that situation.
I think some of it is the old green eyed monster from those who can't afford to do it, others genuinely might feel that the horse they have brought on themselves is the greater acheivement. I can sort of understand that, the horse I bought last year that I was starting to despair of, has turned into a superstar at PC/RC level and we have grown together.
In my dreams, and with a lottery win, I would, of course, be shopping for a PSG level dressage horse tomorrow (and a personal trainer to do it justice)
grin.gif

racingdemon

www.facebook.com
having had very few push button rides, and a very large number of talented morons (LOL) people do ask me why on earth i don't sell my useless horses and buy one decent one! TBH, for me its about the achievement, my 'easy riding' on my push button horse is out hunting, sit, steer and try not to fall off, and for that i want a clock work horse (although my current one is 'home made' if i had to replace him it would be with a ready made one, as i have spent too many years riding rubbish and not enjoying my hunting, but, for 'normal' riding, i like a challenge, to have Ian where he is now is a bigger achievement than anything else i've done (remind me of that when i get fed up!)

with a ready made horse i would have the worry of my bad riding showing the horse up, where as now if it all goes wrong i can just say the horse is difficult (LOL) yes maybe it would be nice to be abe to get on & go round, but i'm just not like that, maybe i'm just stubbourn!

i think it depends enourmously on what you want from your riding, for me i like young/green/inexperianced horses, doesn't make any of us any better or worse, and thank heavens there are people out there who will pay a little bit more for experiance, otherwise who would we all sell our babies to once we've produced them, it makes the world go round

MagicMelon

Visit site
I personally have only ever bought youngsters because I love the sense of achievement I get from bringing them on. I think it very much depends, like you say, on your circumstances. What irritates me is the ones who genuinelly only seem to buy an amazing horse to ponce about on and look good! There are a few round here (especially teenagers with rich parents) who get the horse and all the gear for the shows but barely ride it at home or put in any work whatsoever (on full livery). THEY irritate me as I think everyone should put in work to be able to compete, even if this is simply maintaining a decent horse. The ones who just ride at the shows get all the credit for doing nothing!! I think this is what bugs a lot of people.

I couldn't afford a ready made horse who's at the level one of mine is now at. That's another reason I buy babies, they're cheaper! I dont think "paying a bit more" like £1-2000 difference is correct. I bought mine for under £3k un-made. To buy what he is now, would cost me probably about £8000. But yes, of course - if the horse is just for hacking then yes the price difference between a youngster and ready made will be far less.

Rambo

Visit site
What is a 'ready-made' horse anyway
tongue.gif

When I bought Bo I wanted a horse that could take me straight back into BSJA at a decent level. I had had a very long break from riding, and so needed something to get me going again. In the past I had always had youngsters to bring on, but now working full time and enjoying competing at weekends I wanted and needed something that was already rolling. To that end we bought a young enough horse that was jumping 1.30m's, but with the intention of stepping him down a level or two for a year until I was ready to get back to where he was at. A horse jumping 1.30m's isn't a ready-made horse to many though....it's just a stage in their education, and I would hope to be able to take him beyond that level (he has the ability, we'll have to see if I do
blush.gif
) in time.

To someone else, a horse jumping 3' local opens would be considered a ready-made animal....it's all down to individual perception at the end of the day
smile.gif

racingdemon

www.facebook.com
good point re: price MM, i have that with pickles, i paid peanuts for him, price of a decent pair of boots LOL!!) and now after some seasoned campaigning he'd cost me thousands to replace, even if i'd paid 1-2k for him, i'd still be looking for a big jump to buy a ready made hunter

Weezy

Visit site
I totally agree with you DD - for instance, at this time in my life I have a busy life and 2 children, If I want to go back into SJing competitively then I will certainly buy a horse that is jumping NCs and Fox comfortably, is well schooled on the flat and has manners

Kelly1982

Visit site
I would love to be able to buy a ready made horse so i could be out competing at the same level as my mates but unfortunatly money is a big issue with me and i cant afford an extra £500 let alone £2000. If i had an extra £2000 spare then something slightly older would be my first choice.

I do also enjoy bringing horses on though as (and i know this may sound silly to some) it makes me more confident in my riding abilities if i can see what i have achieved. This is not to say that i wouldn't make achievements on a 'ready made horse' though but i think you have a different kind of acheivement with younger horses and you tend to learn so much more so having no money to buy a more experienced horse suits me just as well i will just have to wait a bit longer.

Thats just my opinion though so dont shout me down
crazy.gif

severnmiles

Visit site
I'm sorry, I'm in the snobbery zone! I like everything I achieve with my neds to be my own work and not bought achievements! However, I personally love breaking mine in, I bond better with them and they don't have someone else's vices! I guess its not everyone's idea of fun to be bronc'd with by babies!

Sorry
crazy.gif

Rosyryan

Visit site
Poo, I bought my husband a "made" horse for his birthday, she's great ok we paid £6k, but as he doesn't have the time to school on a youngster or I didn't have the inclination to do it on his behalf! I bought her with the proceeds from 2 geldings i brought on. Of course we get the occasional sarcy comment when they win competitions but we don't "pot-hunt".

In fact I had a huge laugh last week as I had entered them for elementary dressage comp and he was delayed at airport he couldn't ride her,---so yard "know-it -all/expert volunteered to ride her i agreed as she had been making comments about the fact that she makes him "look good". Anyway she got on and our mare was totally confused by her "aids"? They had to retire 2 mins into test the woman couldn't ride 1 side of her! Hahaha, had to go and have giggling fit in loo with friends!!!!

dieseldog

Visit site
I'm not saying that there is anything wrong with buying a youngster or a difficult horse, it just for me lifes too short. It's just some people seem to have the attitude that somehow you are less of a rider if you havn't struggled to get there.

Be honest, for those of you who compete, do you have more fun at a show when you are succesful (I don't necessarily mean winning, just your horse has done what you wanted) or when it has ended in disaster for whatever reason (horse/rider ability)

EllieBeast

Visit site
i completely understand. when i bought Ellie, she was already far more capeable than me at what i wanted to achieve. (a bit of low level local confidence building sj and a bit of xc), however it takes time for anyone to get used to any horse, be it 'ready made' or not. it just so happened that my ambitions and targets changed
- at the time Ellie could'nt have reached those new goals with me, but i chose to work with my her to enable her to be capeable of my new targets - which she can now easily reach, and beyond. i have really enjoyed the challenge of taking up a new discipline, and schooling my horse to it. i certainly couldent have afforded a horse like i have now with the budget i bought her on. she was bought as 'not a novice ride (and she certainly wasnt) and if i were to advertise - i would say the same. as although she is now capeable of a lot, she is no 'push button'
i see no shame in buying a horse who is already capeable of your goals. riding is a sport to be enjoyed, too many loose sight of this when critiquing (sp!
tongue.gif
) others choices.
Sarah xXx

Rambo

Visit site
It's very interesting to hear everyone's comments...particularly relating to the money aspect of buying a 'made' horse. On the BSJA circuit you get all sorts....and believe me there is a LOT of money floating around
shocked.gif
What makes someone who buys a 'made' horse for £5/£6/£7k or more, any more or any less of a pothunter, than the person who spends £50k on a 4yo with amazing 'potential'
confused.gif
Both are trying to achieve a goal, and both are spending money doing so. Whatever anyone says, the horse is only half of the equation....it still needs to be ridden to achieve the results.

Taz975

Visit site
Im with DD on this one. One horse of mine is being ready-made right now by someone who knows better than me!
I can produce a horse to foxhunter level, but after that I need help. So i go and get it!

Theresa_F

Visit site
I think the problem is when people pay for very expensive horses that have done high level and then take them to small local events and win everything time and time again.

Apart from my first pony, all mine have been either brought back into work from a long break or been very green.

I now have bought a youngster to do from scratch - which I am still anxious about though we are doing fine.

Realistically I would have been far more sensible to buy something older and ready to go as I have little free time, but rightly or wrongly I fell in love with Chancer at first time.

I enjoy the challenge, but here are many days when I wish I had something that I could just get on and go out and compete.

Vey

Visit site
I quite see why people buy 'ready made' horses - and I totally realise for many it is a sensible decision - what gets ME is when people look down on ME for working slowly to bring on a youngster, and assume that because the HORSE can't do XYZ yet is is (not because the rider is taking their time to achieve their goals but) because the rider will never be able to do XYZ. For me the greatest pleasure in in bringing on a youngster, who can do more today than he could do yesterday .... but due to my age (54 now!) I suspect this youngster will be the last, and we develop together and then grow old together.

Farrieress

Visit site
I completly agree with what your saying, there is nothing wrong with "ready made horses" there are plenty out there and yes you may have to pay more but you get what you pay for. A again buying youngsters and bringing them on is great, lot more work but cheeper initially, ofter all "ready made horses" arnt born that way! lol

I payed quite a bit for mine, supposed to be fine at everything until i found out just how green she was, had to put a fair bit of work in, but then my job allows that. I completly get you full timers who like to enjoy your weekends as much as possible x
smile.gif

What i dont like are the numpties who waste peoples time, are looking for a "ready made horse" have seen the price but arnt prepaired to go anywhere near it. Yes there are some over priced horses out there but the majority are good quality horses, well priced. And at the end of the day nothing is perfect, there is always something to work on
smile.gif

Kelly1982

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Be honest, for those of you who compete, do you have more fun at a show when you are succesful (I don't necessarily mean winning, just your horse has done what you wanted) or when it has ended in disaster for whatever reason (horse/rider ability)

[/ QUOTE ]

Obvioulsy you have more fun doing well, after all thats what your competing for, but i think that with a yongster when things start going well it means so much more and makes me a lot happier than if i was to get a ready made horse that done well. Its kind of expected of an older more experienced horse where as with a youngster every small step is an achievement and one step closer to your goal

katelarge

Visit site
I think the problem people have is more with people with very little interest in the actual HORSE, coming in and buying something that they want to sit on and let the groom do the rest! There's a world of difference between the wealthy rider who buys a cracking, expensive animal and does everything for it themselves, and someone who just sees the horse as a cog in an operation - "Operation Make me a Dressage/SJ/etc star." Of course that will breed resentment, whch comes across as snobbery.

Super_Kat

www.myspace.com
I for one would love a ready made horse who I can go out and compete straight away. sadly I don't have the funds for that so the last two horses I've brought to ride and compete have been completely green. My older mare has taken me years to get going and at last I'm starting to see results and yes it's very rewarding. I have recently brought a youngster at a very cheap price (who won't do what I want to do) to bring on and make quite a bit of money on (she is the type of horse people wil chwe your arm off for so I have no doubts that once I've put the work in I'll get a high price for her) so I can go out and buy a horse who's been there and done that, I don't care if people look down on me as being a pot hunter. At the end of the day I want a horse who can show me the ropes and I can learn something on. Buying another green horse to bring on in order to event would be incredibly pointless because it woulld be a case of the blind leading the blind and I want to have some mileage under my belt before I start taking the baby through the levels.

Rosyryan

Visit site
I would never look down on someone who had "made" their own horse it's just that, after my last fall8 years ago from loony pony -2 broken ribs, fractured elbow, husband put a block on me riding other people'sproblem neds. I have a good friend who has worked miracles on a very tricky mare, and knowing this various people still make stupid comments about her eg "Well it doesn't look like such a problem to me",resident yard expert/know-it-all. Btw loony pony who chucked me off was a "made pony" who had gone sour to due to horrendous riding. I did enjoy working with youngsters when younger but don't bounce so well now!!!

teapot

Visit site
Totally agree with you

If and when I start looking for a horse of my own, I will be on the look out for a schoolmaster who has been there, seen it and done and possibly with comp results too.

However I do know that a couple of my friends will be "but it's ready made, you haven't done any work for it blah" but tbh if if it's what I want - what's it do with them?

TequilaMist

Visit site
I personally don't see a problem with buying either a ready made horse or a youngster.It all down to personal choices and abilities.Would look at youngster for my daughter but not for me, I prefer something thats at least done a bit.Tho I wish some people would buy appropriately(she says looking for 4/5 yr old for 15 yr old daughter!! but at least she can ride),girl on our yard bought 3 yr old unbacked mare and can't even mount properly(did witness this) and I have been told she can't really ride
crazy.gif
accident waiting to happen(sweet mare on ground tho!)Also hate it when people buy youngsters and push them on quite quickly.Maybe cos I'm a bit old fashioned and like to do things slowly specially as don't want to see them burnt out too soon

tigers_eye

Visit site
I think there are several issues here and there's "reverse snobbery" too - some people have said they have been looked down upon for taking on a youngster, while others feel the same but for buying a horse with more experience.

I've seen more of the latter. I think this is dangerous as it puts people off buying something that will ultimately teach them to be a better rider. Instead they go out and buy a youngster because they believe it will be so much more satisfying or they will be more highly regarded for doing this, but can end up doing neither themselves nor the horse any favours. I'm not in anyway saying this is always the case, but I have seen it happen time and again.

On a slightly diffferent point I think some people choose to buy a blank canvas as they have had their fingers burnt buying a "made" horse that had been made to look good but was in fact quirky/green/difficult - ie it had the results on paper but was not a schoolmaster as such.

dieseldog

Visit site
I would never buy a horse that had only been ridden by professionals, learnt that the hard way, they are so used to being ridden by someone who tells them exactly what to do that when someone like me gets on them, and you have the odd 'moment' they haven't got a clue what to do. I would want something that had been competed by an amateur - by that I mean someone who isn't a Whitaker equivalent.

Greyhound

Visit site
As I bought a horse ealier this year I probably fall into the ready made horse category. She was competing BSJA Discovery, and is pretty well push button, would do a good dressage test and take me around a course of SJ's. Point her towards a fence and programme the Sat Nav and off I go!

So I am classed as an inexperienced rider probably so I feel I am better with a push button experienced horse rather than something I couldnt understand / help.

Anyway I will enjoy my riding

Gh