snotty nose and cough

mrussell

Visit site
My fella has had a cough over the past week and the occassional snotty nose. My paddocks are bald so Im feeding hay, but Ive been soaking his night nets as a precaution.

The others are on the same hay and paddocks - and no one is coughing.

Any thoughts as to what I can try? He is only coughing at the start of exercise but I dont like it!

mrussell

Visit site
I hadnt even thought of that - *blushes* - I had just gone down the dust avenue!! He seems fine but I will check this arvo ! thanks

fairhill

Visit site
Are you feeding his hay from the ground during the day?
Just thinking that the bald paddock is probably quite dusty as it's been so dry, and he might be snuffling up the dust from there, which is causing some irritation.

rrose

Visit site
the ground is quite dry so it is fairly dusty.... hang the haynet on the fence and see if it decreases the cough. but if you are conscered talk to the vet

I_A_P

Visit site
mine was like this-put them on haylage and shavings..had a course of ventilulmin and seems ok now *touches wood*

mine was the same not that bad apaert from start of exercise-or after a lot of fast work.

mrussell

Visit site
He has no temperature and the coughing/nose has improved with wetting his hay but its just hanging on a bit too long for my comfort.

Hes on shavings (with eucalyptus) but they seem dustier than the rape straw he was on...hopefully I can get some more of the rape straw by mid May (ruddy company burnt down at Christmas).

He hasnt been off the yard for 6 months and Ive only got my 4 on the yard so Im happy its not strangles (he has been innoculated before as we had a local scare a year or so ago before we moved to our own place).

I do feed hay from the ground as I was told its healthier (and less dangerous than hanging nets from the fencing) but I might try it if he doesnt improve soon.

Thanks all.....

belly

Visit site
There have been a lot of virus' about this year so it could well be one.
If you think, when we have a cold the cough can hang around for a couple of weeks after. It might be worth ringing your vets and just asking if there has been anything like this doing the rounds.....and if s/he thinks it warrants a visit!

MagicMelon

Visit site
My horses noses get a bit snotty this time of year, as they do every year. Think in their case its just because its the first bout of warm very dry weather so the dust has got up, plus the farmers have been spraying their fields etc. and stirring stuff up which I dont think helps!