Snotty nose

Pippity

Visit site
This evening, Blue put her head down for her bridle and we got a river of snot dripping out of one nostril and onto the floor. It was very runny, clear/white, no smell to it. She wasn't having any trouble breathing, and she was her usual self when being ridden.

I'll be keeping an eye on her, and calling the vet for advice if it continues or I see any change in behaviour, but just wondering if anyone had any idea if I should be worried?

She had her flu/tet vaccs last week, and did a farm ride on Sunday which was a lot tougher than anything she usually does, if that could have any influence? No new horses on the yard, no change in grazing.

Mule

Visit site
I'd be sure to get the vet to check it out. Mine has asthma and its a pita to treat and very expensive to manage. You want to be sure to catch any breathing problems at an early stage because mild problems can turn in to asthma (copd). If the problem is an allergy, then the horse becomea more sensitive to the allergen as time goes on. It's far better to be safe than sorry.

Another sign to watch for is a frequent trickle of clear discharge from the nostrils. It's easy to brush off, but it's a sign to be mindful of, as something is acting as an irritant.

The best prevention is to, keep the horse out 24/7 if possible, if not, use dust free bedding and don't feed dry hay. The hay may be great quality but it's all full of spores. Soaked hay is fine but it's messy, haylege is easier.

A few months back, when my horse was sedated and his head was hanging down, a river load of mucus poured out of his nostrils. His asthma is well controlled with steroids now but back then it was bad. I don't mean to be all doom and gloom but it's something i would be very cautious of, given my experience.

Another thing is, always feed hay/haylege from the floor and if the horse is muddy don't groom in the stable. Dont muck out when the horse is in the stable either.This cuts down on dust exposure.

Last edited: