Snowflake Softchip bedding

hopscotch bandit

Visit site
Anyone use this please? How does it compare to 'normal' shavings? I assume its heavier? So does it spread less? What's absorbency like? Lost usual Metsa Wood Stable Choice supplier and really struggling.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
It doesn't compare to metsa and I am currently struggling to get anything that is even half as good at the moment, no one near us seems to stock it anymore.

hopscotch bandit

Visit site
From what I can remember, Snowflake is ok, but pretty much like other standard shavings. Metsa wood is by far the best, but sadly, I can't get it locally any more.
Annoying isn't it. I was getting my Metsawood from Buildbase for around 7.68 a bale which for 22kg and free delivery is amazing. But after using this for last 4 years was told last year it would be back in stock March 19. Now been told August 19. Apparently cheaper to import window and door frames than import timber and mill over here and get shavings as a by product. My friend knows someone selling the snowflake softchip at a good price per weight but googled product and as its so different to shavings i am doubtful.and think it weighs heavier because of what it is so mot necessarily going to spread far.

hopscotch bandit

Visit site
Snowflake%20Soft%20Chip.jpg
As you can see they are chisel like pieces. I am not sure how they would bed down or muck out.

Reactions: tda

tda

Visit site
I quite liked softchip, it settles down really well, you need a decent depth. I don't think it is the most absorbent product tho.
Use wood pellets now.

Scarlett

Visit site
I used to use this and loved it before moving onto straw. Much better than shavings IMO.

Ditto, we used it for years. Its more like flax than shavings. It's heavy so it doesn't give you the fluffiness of shavings but its absorbent and great to deep litter as the wet stays together at the bottom. We gave our horses big thick beds of it, skipped out 5 days a week and lifted the wet twice, it worked a treat.

Milliechaz

Visit site
I'm struggling to get hold of stable choice too. has anybody tried bedmax shavings? I'm not a fan of snowflake, they just don't come close to stable choice

hopscotch bandit

Visit site
I found an old bale of Thoroughbred Shavings in the lock up shed round the side of Mums the other day along with four Metsawood Stable Choice. At least four years old, forgot they were there. The Thoroughgood were incredible spreadable volume (and weight) and my stable bed is looking amazing nearly a week later. They went further in those days.... and were a lot cheaper too!