So angry my blood is boiling!!!

Bex7

Visit site
Get to the yard after work to find my boy absolutely soaked with sweat and standing in the cold with no cooler on!

Not only had the girl that rides him twice a week wound him up so much he looked like he was soaked through, she then fed him!!!!!! and left him with no cooler!

now I am panicing about colic and sat here fuming!

Bex7

Visit site
I have called her mum and left a message for her to call me back!
frown.gif

GTs

Visit site
More then likely he will be fine!! If I was you I would call her up and let her know she can either spend the night with him and make sure he is OK, or she is not welcome to ride him anymore.

She will learn her lesson that way for sure.

Bex7

Visit site
Her mum has not called me back yet and I left the message over 2 hrs ago!

I live about 25 minutes from the yard so my friend is going to check on him in a couple of hours. I am sure he will be fine but I am gobsmacked over how irresponsible she has been.

Mel85

Visit site
I'm sure he'll be fine - we tend to panic more than we need to over these things!

Don't blame you for being angry - totally irresponsible. It's common sense!

GTs

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Her mum has not called me back yet and I left the message over 2 hrs ago!

I live about 25 minutes from the yard so my friend is going to check on him in a couple of hours. I am sure he will be fine but I am gobsmacked over how irresponsible she has been.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is more of a punishment to make sure it does not happen again, and she learns her lesson, than he needs a sitter tonight.

Tufty

Visit site
I would definitely not allow her to ride again until you have some serious creeping and a reassurance she has learnt her lesson. Makes your blood boil - wonder if she would have done the same had she owned the horse

Mid

www.just-dreaming.webs.com
Aw
frown.gif
I don't own a horse so I wouldn't know, but it could just be lack of experience on her part? Still, if I did have a pony, I'd probably be really overprotective and bite her head off. ¬¬

spike123

Visit site
assuming this girl has never had her own horse before and this is the first proper involvement with horses she has had chances are she wouldn't know about allowing the horse to dry off safely or about waiting to feed afterwards.I doubt this was done with any malicious intention but more than likely through a lack of knowledge.Had anyone checked to see if she was aware of this before leaving her to do the horse alone. I'm not saying this is your fault btw and I understand your anger as I would feel the same.The answer here is not to shout and rant at her or her parents but to make sure she is fully aware of what she should and shouldn't do with a horse after exercise.This is not something that would be taught at a riding school after all. I know this sounds like I am defending the girl but I am putting myself back (somecough 20yrs ago)to when I was a horsemad girl who couldn't have her own horse but would do anything I could to be around them and I have to say that it is something most kids would do unintentionally out of lack of knowledge.Try not to worry too much about your horse.He will more than likely be fine but give the girl a lecture about how to care for a horse properly and ensure that she understands the reasons why you shouldn't feed immediately after hard work and why they need to be cooled down properly without them becoming cold to quickly.

Zebedee

Visit site
Agree 100% that this is the best way to deal with situation.

Educate rather then alienate. We were all young once & caring for horses is learned rather then instinctive.

(Given a choice the average horse woud choose the bucket over the rug any day!!!).

Bex7

Visit site
Hiya, your response is a good one as it will give me the chance to clarify.........
This girl has been riding for 10 yrs and bert is her 7th horse/pony on share/loan. Even with this in mind it is still possible to think she might not have known and if this is the case then it is all a learning experience....however I have told her on 3 occasions to put the cooler on him and why she must do it......She also used to do it as standard after she rode the last horse she had on loan (also at our yard) if she hadn't the woman that owned that one would have shouted at her until she cried!!
shocked.gif

Also she always has a parent there so is supervised there really is no excuse for this one.

Needless to say that Bert survived the night without Colic
crazy.gif

spike123

Visit site
Given that info then yes she does deserve to be told off and had your horse presented with colic or caught a chill and needed the vet then I would give her the bill.However saying that she was supervised is it possible that her parents were rushing her to get home.If so then its their fault not the girls.

Parkranger

Visit site
My god that is so out of order - particularly as you're letting her ride him.

I think you have to cull her - you're not going to be able to trust her now are you?

x

Bex7

Visit site
Having calmed down now things are in perspective!

She was very concerned when I rang her and asked me to let her know he was alright. I will have a chat with her mum so she can make sure the important things are done before they leave and explain the dangers of not doing thing properly.

filly190

Visit site
Sit her down and get her to watch Black Beauty!! We all remember that.

I would say that she's had her fun, been too lazy to see to the horse.

I would tackle it in a calm manner, no use loosing your rag and you wont be able to say/explain things and you'll walk away feeling cross that you havent put your point across as you would have wished.

Good luck with speaking to her.