So Angry!

Hippophilia

Visit site
I am bl**dy furious this morning. This week my livery rates got more than doubled to $275 in the summer and $350 in the winter for GRASS LIVERY which is more than I can afford as I am about to go on maternity leave (unpaid for complicated reasons). As I see it I have 2 choices: get a sharer or sell my mare. So clearly a sharer is the obvious solution. I contacted a girl who knows my mare well and who has ridden her in the past, she was willing. Then my YO steps in and says that having a sharer is breaking my contract and if I want to do that I have to leave. She also sends a message to my potential sharer demanding $75 a month from my sharer paid directly to her to cover 'insurance'.
I am so mad at this interferring and controlling behaviour. I am considering sending the YO an email explaining why I need a sharer, but then part of me gets indignant and thinks it's none of her damn business. I am literally grinding my teeth - and looking for another yard!
Not the kind of stress you need at 34 weeks pregnant.

guido16

Visit site
First of all, pull your contract out. Find out which bit it is that she claims is being broken.

If there is no such part to the contract, ask her to point out where in the contract has been broken.....She what her next move is....Now....DEEP BREATH

Littlelegs

Visit site
Unless its excellent full livery type grass livery, that is very expensive. Yo sounds highly unhelpful too. Could you maybe look round at small private fields too, someone might be willing to share the costs?

Magnetic Sparrow

Visit site
That much for just ONE horse? Blimey, that's steep (well, it would be here, anyway). I'd be looking for another yard, but that's not ideal with littl'un so imminent. I've never been asked to pay extra to have a sharer. Sounds a bit like grasping for money to me. I'd be furious too.

Capriole

Visit site
Wow, doesnt sound great, doubling livery costs for starters, never mind the rest!

(I just converted it out of interest and thats approx £172-£219 (per month?) which would be a lot for purely grass livery here (but for 'full livery' at grass I dont know), is that representative of your area?)

Hippophilia

Visit site
guido16 - had a look through my contract first thing and there is nothing specifically against sharing, but it does stipulate that only the owner and another named rider can ride the horse. My OH is currently the named rider, but he never rides so I figured I could just change who the named rider is.

And yes, it is terrifyingly expensive. For that price I have 24/7 turnout in pasture with a shelter, salt lick, automatic water and a round bale in the winter. The bathroom is a portaloo (rarely emptied) and I have to boil a kettle if I want warm water. The big plus is that we have a heated arena (handy in -20 Canadian winters). It made sense when I was teaching there part-time and only had to pay cost ($80 in summer and $180 in the winter). Now it's just insane.

Hippophilia

Visit site
Capriole - this is DIY and while at the pricer range it is not that out of step with the rest of the area. I think I may have found somewhere more reasonable ($175 grass livery, DIY) so I am hoping they have space and I'll be off to see them this weekend. Mind you, I have no trailer so god alone knows how I am going to get her there. YO is just so unpredictable I am dreading speaking to her about the whole situation. Kind of tempted to take my OH along and let him deal with it...

Magicmillbrook

Visit site
Capriole - this is DIY and while at the pricer range it is not that out of step with the rest of the area. I think I may have found somewhere more reasonable ($175 grass livery, DIY) so I am hoping they have space and I'll be off to see them this weekend. Mind you, I have no trailer so god alone knows how I am going to get her there. YO is just so unpredictable I am dreading speaking to her about the whole situation. Kind of tempted to take my OH along and let him deal with it...

I agree - let OH fend her off, you just dont need it. I am 35 wks preggers so know how you feel. Not a time for stress and upheaval

Enfys

Visit site

$175 is full pasture board at my place!:) (Mind, I don't have an indoor , but I do have a respectable washroom;))

Good luck with finding a new barn, if dealing with the BO is causing stress take OH along with you, BO may not be so bad then if she hasn't got you alone.