so bloody fed with horses!

Jadejods

Visit site
I am really sick of being a horse owner right now, i honestly feel like selling up and never ever having them again.

Muddy water logged fields, and 2 eating machines that are costing a fortune and both of them are losing thier manners.

Is it just me?

I really would get rid of both of them right now without a second thought.

I was mucking out the other day and tears just shot out of my eyes!!!

What is wrong with me?

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
As I said to someone else this morning - Get a grip!!

Love any time of year - rain or shine.

Was only thinking this morning how special it is to be with so many wonderful horses in the mornings. It's quiet, they're happily eating breakfast, eager to go out (regardless of the weather), and are a very happy and contented lot.

I feel lucky every day.

Jadejods

Visit site
I know i should feel lucky, but i dont.

Perhaps i have lost my passion for horses, possibly my age?

Nearly 40 now and aching bones and mucking out does not go down too well any more.

I am just having a rant really.

As for get a grip........i have tried and it is not working.

Time to sell up and relax i think.

welshcobabe

Visit site
Hey hang on a moment I am nearer to 50 and never not had horses. You can find that things get a bit on top of you at times its called hormones they start to do strange things as you approach the 40 something. But my horses got me through try thinking of the last good hack out you did and how good it felt. I had a remark the other day about how young I looked and how good my skin was what did I use they asked. Didnt like to say it years of muck and been outdoors nowt but soap and water. So cheer up its winter and these horses keep us fit and well.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Nearly 40 now and aching bones and mucking out does not go down too well any more

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto in January.

My philosophy is that you are only as young as the man you feel and I make a point of always going out with men that are younger than me!!
wink.gif

You're hardly 80 woman!!
tongue.gif

fairhill

Visit site
Give yourself a bit of a break over the christmas period.
My mum is in late 50's and always struggles at this time of year. She has finally stopped feeling guilty at not riding much through the winter, and has accepted that she is slower at her jobs than she used to be. As a consequence she is much happier, and is (mostly) coping, and enjoys the times she does ride.

EllieBeast

Visit site
Im with JJ at the mo, i love seeing how happy my lass is. i am desperate to get her back to fitness and get going again. I can definately understand that this time of year is getting people down. i just feel lucky that it isnt for me. maybe give yourself and your horses a break for a while?
Good luck

EllieBeast

Visit site
tongue.gif
I think with me its just that my pony is the only thing thats keeping me semi-sane at the mo. She gives me something to look forward to in a day! (bless my little toad-pony)

Tempi

Visit site
yup that was me!!

but i was moaning about the weather or about having horses, just about the fact that my horse is lame as hes lost a shoe!

like amymay the weather/dark mornings etc dont bother me in the slightest, i just get on with it - i guess its my tought up bringing!!

Tierra

dressage.wordpress.com
I think lots of people are feeling this way atm. I frequent a couple of forums and there's a lot of "no enthusiasm left" posts.

Its probably a combination of the weather we've had recently and everyone being ready for a break for christmas. Most people aren't getting to ride as much as usual - I know the weather here isn't letting up at all!

Can you give yourself a small break round christmas? Once the festive period is over, it always seems less demotivating because you can start looking towards spring (alright, it takes forever for the weather to warm up here but the nights get lighter at least!)

There's nothing wrong with you - things are obviously just on top of you.

kirstyfk

Visit site
I know how you are feeling. I remember when I was about 17 I had a horse on loan and I was losing my nerve with him. He was the sweetest horse ever but I would be going into 3'6 fences never quite sure if I was going to my the only one to get to the other side! During the winter I took him down to the beach for a gallop and it made me realise why I have horses but it also made me realise that I couldn't keep him any more.

Could you not sell one and then maybe putting the other one out on loan for a while til you feel better. I think everyone goes through these feelings at least a few times in their life time and I'm sure you will love your horses again after a break!

JaneMBE

Visit site
tis pretty miserable.... but....
I have 8 horses out, and 7 stabled (cos of muddy boggy fields) so went in at 7.30 and started the mucking out (by myself) .. couple of ponies wandering yard whilst I did mucking out; being nosy getting in the bags and buckets; filling haynets, waters etc... well, have only just got in! Found it therapeutic cleaning and was enjoying sweeping the yard! lol.
44 nearly with crappy bones and bad back, but loved it.....
started off grumpy and wishing I didn't have to do it, but at the end was very chilled..

The weather makes people feel like you (OP), bit of sunshine at the weekend should put it right
smile.gif

filly190

Visit site
I am sorry to hear how fed up you are. Sometimes it can get to us all. Perhaps you could ask a friend to help out and give you a little rest for a few days, once we have December out the way the daylight will start to return, just think March is only a few weeks off and the fields will start recovering, the hedges and trees come to live and everything is much nicer.

WelshRareBit

Visit site
I sometimes feel like that - winter feels like all work and no play, early mornings hardly much riding going on..but use the time to relax a bit - so long as they are fed and warm there's no harm in just giving yourself a bit of a break and saying SOD IT! Murphy is coming back into work the week after xmas, until then he's fed and checked and he can flippin well like it or lump it
smile.gif
horses dont mind being not ridden in the main so I wouldnt beat yourself up ! xxx

Enfys

Visit site
You sound like I generally do, although I usually make it until the middle of January without throwing my toys out of the pram and threatening to sell the horse, the husband, child, house et al and run away and live on top of a mountain BY MYSELF!

With me it's a combination of the weather (SAD sufferer, that doesn't help), the constant bind of having horses in and doing the twice daily stable run, the knowledge that it would be at least April before the horses were allowed out again, being cold, being wet, not being 20 anymore. I'm OK this year as I have 24/7 turnout and had a couple of horseless months at the end of the summer.

I used to switch off for a few weeks, didn't ride, just gave myself and the horses a breather and we all came back to things a lot happier.

Winter is pants sometimes, mud and rain are pants all the time.
It's not going to kill your horse for a little bit if it's not schooled or exercised properly as long as it has turnout.........take a break, get your second wind and don't feel guilty about it, or let anyone else make you feel that way.

Solomon

Visit site
And I thought it was just me!! I feel a lot better after reading all your posts! Had a complete flip out last nite - returned from work at 5.45 to find my daughter happily surfing the net! Ponies and my horse still in the field - no nite time jobs even started and then to top it all hubbie arrived home and promptly made himself a chicken curry (i don't eat chicken) and conveniently forgot to make any tea for me and the daughter! I ended up making beans on toast for her and I had a bowl of porridge at about 8.30pm. AARRRRGGGHHHH!

Stella

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
As I said to someone else this morning - Get a grip!!

Love any time of year - rain or shine.

Was only thinking this morning how special it is to be with so many wonderful horses in the mornings. It's quiet, they're happily eating breakfast, eager to go out (regardless of the weather), and are a very happy and contented lot.

I feel lucky every day.

[/ QUOTE ] Bah humbug!!! Okay feel sunny a lot of the time, but every day ......
confused.gif

I think its pretty common and normal to feel like this at times in the winter. Lets face it, it is horrible to be up to your knees in mud and freezing cold with horses that have developed 'winter manners'. That said though, as I've been through this and out the other side in previous winters (I have to fess up to now being on full livery), I'd never make a decision like giving up before March!

I agree with others, back off on the things you don't have to do to give yourself some space. Also drink Port when you are cold, its great for warming the bones.

Chin up
smile.gif

Agent XXX999

Visit site
My friends mum is nearly sixty and has bad arthritis in her hands and still mucks out in the cold and rain….and you never hear a peep out of her.

Just think of the hundred of people that would actually give anything to be mucking out two horses….and how lucky you are to be in the position to afford them.

If you still feel the same why don’t you get a sharer? At least them you will have some help and some extra income coming in. That, or you could sell one of them (or loan – lots of people specify that the horse must stay local) or why don’t you have a horse holiday for a week, gather your thoughts, and decide what to do then.

I admit, I couldn’t cope with a horse on DIY. She was a witch and a complete screw, horrible in the stable and absolutely disgusting to muck out. I used to wonder why I bothered – all of the effort I was putting in I was getting less than nothing in return. So she went to go and live in a field for the winter…and 3 months later, I brought her back into work, and sold her. I didn’t take the decision lightly and I don’t think you should either just because its winter and you have had enough. I think if I hadn’t of turned her out I would have sold her and given up horses (I was that dis heartend!)but the contact that I had was enough to make me realise how much I would miss it if I did.

I now wouldn’t have a horse on anything less than part livery, but that it my choice, and no offence to you DIYers – I have lots of respect for you….. but I spend hours grooming and riding without the worry of mucking out or filling hay nets. It is bliss and works for me. It works out £25 more expensive than DIY.

MarthaRodman1

www.photobucket.com
Hey how nice to read all these posts! I'm feeling rotten at the moment as had work Xmas party last night and didn't go to bed till 3! And gotta go and do horsey tonight, but you know what, I love him to bits - I don't love the fact that he's a grey and I have to spend 30 mins every night scraping the mud of him - sometimes I just leave him - oops!

Come on girls and guys, we'll get there, once Christmas is over the daylight hours will start to get longer, and it's supposed to be v cold in Jan and Feb, I don't know about you lot, but I prefer cold and sunny, to wet and miserable - the fields are trashed and it's like a mud bath turning out or bringing in!

Come on springtime..................!!
MX

MillionDollar

Visit site
I really think people put too much strain on themselves for no reason at this time of year. If possible turn your horses out, give them and yourself a holiday for a few months. I've got 5 horses and i really don't see the problem. 3 are out 24/7 and 2 are in 24/7, and 3 of them are in full work. But i deep litter, don't bother with nets for hay and have automatic waterers. I'm not lazy but i just don't see the point on wasting time on uneccessary jobs. Just try and make your life easier by changing a few things.
grin.gif

miss_bird

Visit site
Wow, glad i read this was having an awful time last night, all 4 horses living out 24/7 and have total winter feed manners and so i ended up getting a hoof in the leg, (no shoes on horse so did not hurt) but as i was sloping through the mud to put the hay out i was very dishartened (sp).
But ho hum shortest day in a few days and then count down to long sunny days, with a bit of rain still.
But have to take the good with the bad and would not be without my horses at any time.

Broodle

Visit site
Poor you! I don't have a horse/pony now, but I well remember the stresses. Think that they should come with a health warning - "Careful! Extreme highs and lows likely!"

A sharer (suggested by another poster) could be a godsend... help with costs and chores, and maybe even some weekend lie-ins. A bit of extra time to yourself might be just the ticket?

Hope you hit the next high soon...
wink.gif

Tia

Visit site
If you really feel like this, then the best thing you could do would be to sell your horses and give yourself the time you need to figure out whether you wish to continue with them. Perhaps a break of a couple of years will help you decide.

I gave up owning horses for a couple of years and I truly loved that time! It was the only time in my life that I was without (my own) horses (although I did still ride others from time to time during this period) and I really did enjoy not being responsible for them. BUT then I started missing them again so out I went and bought another one.....nothing ventured, nothing gained eh?

Leah3horses

Visit site
Feel sad reading how ppl can suggest buying and selling horses like 2nd hand cars.... yes winter can be hard... I have 3 at my own yard, no help by choice..I feel so lucky just to have my own horses...never think of selling them just because I might need a break....surely we have an idea how hard winter can be before we choose to have horses???? You know that saying 'A dog is for life not just for Xmas'... well I think some in the horse world need a new saying...'A horse is for life not just for summer'... Enjoy your horses...all year round!!!

Tia

Visit site
What's really sad is people who keep horses because they feel they have to. Horse becomes unloved, uncared for in the correct manner and often turfed out in the field with little or no attention.
frown.gif

I'm not sure this person is fed up of just the winter? I got the impression she was just fed up with the whole responsibility thing. Horses are not dogs unfortunately - they require vast sums of money, generally they live double the time a dog does and are incredibly time-consuming.