So cross...... your thoughts please

gass

Visit site
After looking high and low for a yard to move my horse too, I found what I thought was the ideal place, lovely big school, 4 acres, 3 stables, storage for everything, plus land being extended to take on more grazing and expanding the school.

Only little snag was that 2 of the stables were being let out, but we only wanted one, plus a small area for pony to live out. Met with the owner about 6 times to discuss all this and even took others to look at yard in view of moving with us. Finally verbal agreement that we could move in and they would allow us 2 months to look for others to share with us. Great so put all plans in place and on that basis handed in my notice to current yard.

Have been ringing since monday to finalise the details and arrange to get keys - moving day looming 31st. Kept leaving messages etc.... Finally today managed to catch the owner at home, very vague about it all, seems had been avoiding my calls, turns out that they are having a rethink as they want 2 horses on the land, I nearly exploded down the phone said it was not fair to leave it this late in the day to change their minds bearing in mind they have know i have handed in my notice at current yard, told her i need a definite answer one way or another by the end of the day, was told "I will ring you back" and the phone was put down.

Now we had agreed terms, contract had been sent to me too, surly the meetings and negotiations before are a verbal agreement?

Sorry guys am so cross - need to leave current yard due to problems with the horses staying in and my boy getting colic because of it. Plus I was barricaded in stable by YO and verbally abused.

gass

Visit site
New yard is closer to home!

People wont move - problem is if you stick your head above the parapet to defend your horse it gets bitten off by YO.

Everything is fine when the sun shines and horses are allowed out, people only moan when they stay in during wet and winter months, but wont do anything about it.

Jojoeena

Visit site
Thats so crap and can see why you'd be so cross, however, best you find out now that the YO is so flaky, personally I wouldn't want to move there now anyway and would be trying to find something as an interim measure untill you can find something that you really want - you'd never be able to trust their word again after this ... hope you sort it out soon

fidleyspromise

Visit site
would the new yard be any better though?
it sounds like from the way they are already being, that they may be as bad or worse than the current yard?

I really hope you get something sorted out x

gass

Visit site
You are right, CRAP it is, I feel so depressed and upset now, thought there was light at the end of the tunnel - now its very dim. Problem is there is not much else here, its all too far out of the way.

Feel really bad too, as had taken on this pony to keep my lad company, and though we have not paid anything for him, he is still with his current owner and I am dreading making that call to say it has all fallen through and we can't now take him.

Dont know if I can trust these people now,

gass

Visit site
would the new yard be any better though?
it sounds like from the way they are already being, that they may be as bad or worse than the current yard?

I really hope you get something sorted out x

Yep it seemed it would have been better - they assured me that they don't intrude and let us get on with things, only time we need to contact them is when muck needs clearing etc.

Archangel

Visit site
That is very unfair to let you down at the last minute. Even if they had changed their mind they could have just rung you. Perhaps the owners of the two horses already there have been chuntering to the owner.

Grrr on your behalf.

gass

Visit site
That is very unfair to let you down at the last minute. Even if they had changed their mind they could have just rung you. Perhaps the owners of the two horses already there have been chuntering to the owner.

Grrr on your behalf.

Thats just it, there are no other people on the yard - it would have been just us, its standing empty at the moment. I just dont know what they want. GIVE UP and accept my fate at current yard I think, better the devil you know.

Thanks for support just needed to rant !

Last edited:

JennBags

HHOSS Wonder Woman
Visit site
I'm a bit confused....are you saying they don't want you to move in because they want MORE horses, not less :confused: If so, I would imagine that it's got to be about money & contact hasn't it - they would rather have one owner to deal with who is paying for 2 or 3 horses there than 2 or 3 owners with one horse each....especially if they have to find the other owners.

If this is the case, why don't you offer to rent the yard as a whole with the proviso that you can sublet?

gass

Visit site
I'm a bit confused....are you saying they don't want you to move in because they want MORE horses, not less :confused: If so, I would imagine that it's got to be about money & contact hasn't it - they would rather have one owner to deal with who is paying for 2 or 3 horses there than 2 or 3 owners with one horse each....especially if they have to find the other owners.

If this is the case, why don't you offer to rent the yard as a whole with the proviso that you can sublet?

That is it in a nut shell.
It has already been agreed over a week ago that they would give us 2 months to find someone, preferably someone we knew to move in with us. (They are keeping the 3rd stable vacant because their daughter has a horse on full livery at another yard, but sometimes likes to come up and stable him overnight.)
But today they have said that they are still not happy, I do have a sharer who has been wonderful through this and has offered to pay the extra to cover the yard.

I just can't work them out or what they actually want. I will give them till the end of today to come back to me and then will speak to my current YO about staying.

JennBags

HHOSS Wonder Woman
Visit site
OK - so have you offered to pay for the 2 stables? If you have, and they are still umming & aahing, then they probably have reservations as well. Some people would rather have unused land & stables than deal with the stresses of mad horsey women ;)

I rented a field a couple of years ago for the summer from some people I vaguely knew - they had not had horses on it for 10 years because of the stress they had with previous tenants; they had turned everyone else who had asked away - I was very lucky that they agreed to rent to me.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
so essentially they want to secure their income from this yard without having to advertise for another person to move in with you that you didn't know and without having two separate owners to deal with (one with two horses is easier than two owners a lot of the time I'm sure!) I think you have to decide if you can take responsibility and pay for the whole yard as one (and then sublet if you can) or let it go.

Jenn, yes someone we know is a bit like this, she has 3 lovely stables behind her house and 5/6 acres of land, she won't rent to horses though as too much hassle had previously.

JennBags

HHOSS Wonder Woman
Visit site
Jenn, yes someone we know is a bit like this, she has 3 lovely stables behind her house and 5/6 acres of land, she won't rent to horses though as too much hassle had previously.

They are lovely people - but had had terrible problems with previous tenants neglecting the ponies, letting them run wild (wrecking fencing, then they'd get into neighbour's fields, and weren't contactable, so the very non-horsey land owners had to sort them all out).

They asked me to stay on permanently, and it was a heart-wrenching decision but I had to say no. Their stables were tiny (10x10) and there was no school - it just wasn't going to work for me, such a shame as I can see the field & stables from my house. They've rented it out to someone else now (who funnily enough used to be at my yard!) and seem very happy with them; good for them, but shame for me as it means I've lost my summer grazing!

gass

Visit site
OK - so have you offered to pay for the 2 stables? If you have, and they are still umming & aahing, then they probably have reservations as well. Some people would rather have unused land & stables than deal with the stresses of mad horsey women ;)

I rented a field a couple of years ago for the summer from some people I vaguely knew - they had not had horses on it for 10 years because of the stress they had with previous tenants; they had turned everyone else who had asked away - I was very lucky that they agreed to rent to me.

Yes - the original agreement is that we get 2 months to find someone, whilst paying for one stable and then we would have to pay for the other.

They have had someone on there over the winter and it has been standing empty for a month now, the previous occupant had caused some damage to the fencing and they seem to be hung up about that too. we even offered to repair the damage when we move in.

They want it rented out - they gave us first refusal as another was interested, now they just seem to be dithering about.

I think that with the expansion etc. they are going to be asking for more money too. Think I will cut my losses and put it down to experience.