So disappointed

EventingMum

Visit site
I took my horse back to the vet hospital today and feel very low tonight.

The back ground story is he presented lame a fore leg at the start of July. My vets recommended bute, cold hosing and box rest for 6 weeks but unfortunately he was no better so they extended the box rest. Eventually I persuaded them to refer him to the equine hospital and scans revealed he had damaged his check ligament. Given that we were nearly 12 weeks into total box rest it was decided that we could start walking out in hand, initially for 5 mins twice a day gradually increasing to 30 mins twice a day. He then developed an almost identical swelling with heat on the opposite fore limb and today's scans reveal he has damaged that check ligament more severely than the original one. Just to add insult to injury he's also mildly lame behind but that could just be attributable to being in so long. So we're no further on, another ten weeks of box rest with walking in hand :( Goodness knows when the poor boy will get turned out again but at least I don't have to worry about him in the winter mud this year. My son is resolutely refusing to let me ride his horses so I may have to high-jack a riding school horse - alternately I may just hibernate and hope when I wake up in spring he's also ready to start some light work.

EventingMum

Visit site
That's really horrid news, I think your son might need a clip round the ear!!!!!
Wishing the lad a speedy recovery!

Not really, to be fair my son's horses are slightly sharper types and since I became disabled a few years ago I've been forced to realise my balance isn't what it used to be. Before that I used to do all the horse's pre event season fittening work and schooling while he was at uni, I just like to pretend I could still do it. Now he claims he's concerned for my well being although it's possibly his horse's well being that's utmost in his mind!

PorkChop

Visit site
Oh gawd, bloomin horses.

At least you have the best outcome possible because he was box rested from the very first day. I haven't any experience of check ligament damage, so no pearls of wisdom, but I have everything crossed.