So down. Need a bulb and a hug

little_critter

Visit site
I've been struggling with my mare for a few months now. There is no energy or 'go' to her. She used to be a fun but sensible pony. She has totally switched off and it feels like every time I ride her I'm beating her up because I need so much leg and whip to get her moving. I HATE treating her like this and today got off after 10 minutes of trying to get her moving. I just didn't want to treat her like that. I don't know if shes saying "shan't" or "can't". I've left blubbing message for my instructor to see if she has any ideas. The standard response on the yard is feed her oats/higher energy mix. But I'm not convinced it's s feed issue. A native sort like her in light work shouldn't need as much feed as I give her and she's a good weight and has a good looking coat on her. I love her dearly and hope we can get this sorted, I just want her to be the pony she was a year ago. Sorry for the ramble. I just want riding to be fun for both of us.

Sugarplum Furry

Visit site
Oh dear, doesn't sound like a great situation. I'm going to get this in before everyone else does (you know what's coming!). Teeth, tack and back need checking, also a vet visit for an MOT and bloods. And all the usual other questions, what's her age, height, day to day routine etc? It sounds like something's not right, especially if you say she was previously OK. Hugs to you, I can tell how worried you are.

Persephone

Visit site
Oh dear, doesn't sound like a great situation. I'm going to get this in before everyone else does (you know what's coming!). Teeth, tack and back need checking, also a vet visit for an MOT and bloods. And all the usual other questions, what's her age, height, day to day routine etc? It sounds like something's not right, especially if you say she was previously OK. Hugs to you, I can tell how worried you are.

All the above, plus consider Gastric Ulcers!

little_critter

Visit site
Saddler was out 2 weeks ago and said saddles were fine. Teeth done in jan. Physio was out in November. She's 11 , 14.1hh worked for approx 40 mins 5 times a week a mix of schooling hacking and jumping ( tried doing more hacking and less schooling to get her interest). Vet is due out again in a month for routine bloods so I may ask for a full mot (is there anything in particular I should get looked at?) she's out during the day for 4 days a week at the moment. Fed half a scoop chaff & nuts and a handful of oats plus vits

Mrs C

Visit site
Cross posted then! Good that you're varying. Sorry, not much help but i'm sure there will be others with advice

little_critter

Visit site
Oops hit post too early. Vits and mins and a liver detox supplement ( had liver issue but last blood test showed it had pretty much cleared up)

Izzwizz

Visit site
Round our way there is a virus going around. I would be tempted to get your Vet out sooner rather than later and get her fully checked out, inc bloods. It does sound like a health issue from what you have said.

little_critter

Visit site
Ok so I'm thinking of bringing her routine vet check forward. Any suggestions on any specific things I should get the vet to check for?

lachlanandmarcus

Visit site
see what the red and white cells counts are. My boy had a recurring virus that took well over a year to clear up and he still got periodic bouts for a couple of years more, it was like ME in humans. He was very down.

His white cell count was very low during this period.

Marydoll

Visit site
Ok so I'm thinking of bringing her routine vet check forward. Any suggestions on any specific things I should get the vet to check for?

Your horses behaviour has changed quite a bit from your description of her normal.
I would definitely bring her blood test forward, the vet if theyre any good, will know what to check for. Until then i'd just field rest her.
If your farrier is around first, get him to check her feet to try to rule out foot pain, there may be sensitivity there not showing as lameness yet, making her reluctant to go forward

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
My mare was like this for months and nothing showed up on her bloods, but then suddenly she developed a cough and had a serious lung infection. She had obviously been fighting it for weeks and the only way it showed was when I rode her and could barely get her to trot. She was bright in every other way and eating fine. So don't ride her until you find out what is wrong. I bitterly regret pushing my mare so hard.

milesjess

Visit site
If you have done all the usual health checks then maybe try and give her a good long break? A couple of months off turned out with her friends might help...

Then maybe bring her back into work with some nice hacks to different places and beach rides.

A change of scenery and some time off might help refresh her :)

honetpot

Visit site
If she's a native shes doing too much work. I have a vareity of naitives of every sort and they have a very low boredom threashold. We competed in showing,jumping and dressage without the use of a school as 15 mins in a corner of a field is about all they can stand and as soon as they 'get it' move on quick. The most they are school in an arena is 25mins and thats rarely.
The problem may be that a lot of the people on your yard have horses and therefore they need a lot of work to settle them. At PC my daughters pony would be in the same ride as the horses and jump the same jumps but basically was bored out her her head after warming up, all she needed was a quick trot round and she'd ping over the jumps.
I would give her 2 weeks off and then just hack out 2-3 times a week different routes until she perks up. If it was winter I would suggest hunting to get her blood up.