So fed up

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I am feeling quite sorry for myself today the broken ankle thing is really getting me down its so frustrating I literally can't do anything as still on 1 leg, I really love this time of year cold sunny days are my favourite for riding, and I would be doing some Christmas shopping resigned myself to the fact I will have to do it all on line, I think it's worse as I am not a sitting around type person it's bloody driving me mad keep crying and then I get really angry !

sorry for the poor me thread I know there are probably a lot of people a lot worse off than me just can't seem to snap out of it :(

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
PB, I feel your pain! I did same in December 2012 - the 13th! Was supposed to be having family for xmas lunch, my brothers wife took over and we all went there.
DH is useless at shopping but luckily the freezer was part full of instant dinners, so we lived off those and takeaways, till I got myself together to order on line (never done it since!). Those 6 weeks in the aircast were hell, so boring, friends at work, so not many visitors. The worst was no downstairs wc, so I had to heave myself upstairs - thus not drinking much for the first fortnight or so in daytime. At least DH made me a 'packed lunch' before he went to work & helped me get downstairs & left me with a hot drink.
Travel mugs and a small rucksack were saviours as i could then take bits and bobs with me. Even making a drink took ages till I got sat back down!
I hadn't done cards, was planning on doing my xmas present shopping the next day, hand't got any xmas food in except the turkey booked for collection!
The housework was what was the worst - it was due for a proper clean & I sat there loking at dusty surfaces & hairy carpet from the cat for the first few days, grr!
Worst was only getting taken to the yard once at a weekend each week by long suffering friends, as I had to hand over everything to my only livery to look after my 2 I had then.

Honestly, it wont be long, once you get to week 4, start doing exercises on the floor - lying down and things like cycling your legs, stretching etc. I ended up a bit more fit after 7 weeks (3 weeks of twice daily invented exercises) and felt ok to get on a week after I had boot off. I did get a mechanial horse lesson first, then got someone to come with me walking out for 20 mins the first time on board - it felt odd and I was v apprehensive!

Sit it out gal, you'll look back in the summer and think it wasn't so bad. Sending hugs xx

Pinkvboots

Visit site
PB, I feel your pain! I did same in December 2012 - the 13th! Was supposed to be having family for xmas lunch, my brothers wife took over and we all went there.
DH is useless at shopping but luckily the freezer was part full of instant dinners, so we lived off those and takeaways, till I got myself together to order on line (never done it since!). Those 6 weeks in the aircast were hell, so boring, friends at work, so not many visitors. The worst was no downstairs wc, so I had to heave myself upstairs - thus not drinking much for the first fortnight or so in daytime. At least DH made me a 'packed lunch' before he went to work & helped me get downstairs & left me with a hot drink.
Travel mugs and a small rucksack were saviours as i could then take bits and bobs with me. Even making a drink took ages till I got sat back down!
I hadn't done cards, was planning on doing my xmas present shopping the next day, hand't got any xmas food in except the turkey booked for collection!
The housework was what was the worst - it was due for a proper clean & I sat there loking at dusty surfaces & hairy carpet from the cat for the first few days, grr!
Worst was only getting taken to the yard once at a weekend each week by long suffering friends, as I had to hand over everything to my only livery to look after my 2 I had then.

Honestly, it wont be long, once you get to week 4, start doing exercises on the floor - lying down and things like cycling your legs, stretching etc. I ended up a bit more fit after 7 weeks (3 weeks of twice daily invented exercises) and felt ok to get on a week after I had boot off. I did get a mechanial horse lesson first, then got someone to come with me walking out for 20 mins the first time on board - it felt odd and I was v apprehensive!

Sit it out gal, you'll look back in the summer and think it wasn't so bad. Sending hugs xx

arr thanks it's so bloody annoying isn't it one god send is we have a bungalow I can imagine doing stairs is a nightmare poor you, I have been given a zimmer chair which I must say has made everything so much easier as you can put things on it to transport and sit on it, doesn't do much for your street cred though classy it is not!

The house is in need of a good hoover I did try and do it on Thursday but it was just to much I think the oh is going to do it later, I did manage to clean the bathrooms zimmer chair came in handy for that.

Last edited:

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
Oh I don't know, maybe 'pimp my zimmer chair' could be a thing.... :p
Sorry you're feeling so pants :( if it's any consolation I would feel exactly the same.
The one time I was laid up I spent a small fortune on online courses to keep me from going mad — I'd recommend it as it did keep me going and I did end up with a couple of useful qualifications from it (along with some delightfully pointless ones :D)

honetpot

Visit site
I am not a depressive person, but I was off my feet for four weeks is January, I had to stay in the house and it made me realise how going outside kept me sane. I was getting really down, and my husband kept wanting to do things for me which was lovely but made me feel worse.
We just have to be thankful it will be temporary.

paddy555

Visit site
having been in your position twice, have you considered a wheel chair? sounds horrible but it is freedom. I found in hospital if I could get hold of one that you turned the wheels yourself I could go anywhere, whizz around, spin corners etc. Could be worth hiring one? May even be possible to use at home. I shopped in Tesco. They had an electric scooter. Used that and managed the shopping on my own. People were helpful about stuff on the top shelves but I was free and mentally it was great. There are lots of mobility centres in towns where you borrow a scooter to go shopping. If you can get to one then you can be off around town and free.
You get to see the world and people from a different viewpoint but mentally it is a real boost that you can do things for yourself. Just being able to go around town and buy yourself a cup of coffee becomes rather wonderful.

Midlifecrisis

Visit site
After breaking my ankle in Jan of this year I understand your frustration...couldn't get out to do anything...couldn't do anything indoors...very very frustrating. I watched seriously stupid amounts of TV - all of Westwing twice..Solitude..films..and slept listening to plays on radio 4 and 4 extra. The frustration will pass...you will heal and you will resume your life just cut yourself some slack and go with the flow (of tears if need be).

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I am feeling quite sorry for myself today the broken ankle thing is really getting me down its so frustrating I literally can't do anything as still on 1 leg, I really love this time of year cold sunny days are my favourite for riding, and I would be doing some Christmas shopping resigned myself to the fact I will have to do it all on line, I think it's worse as I am not a sitting around type person it's bloody driving me mad keep crying and then I get really angry !

sorry for the poor me thread I know there are probably a lot of people a lot worse off than me just can't seem to snap out of it :(

I understand how you feel, I broke mine just before Spring Bank holiday one year and spent the next 5 weeks on crutches unable to weight bear. A good friend kindly invited me to stay in her bungalow, as we were in the middle of renovations on a Weaver's Cottage, which was lovely of her but I was bored rigid!
Are you still taking pain meds? They can make you feel very down and emotional.
All you can do is tell yourself that 'this too shall pass'. I hope you feel better soon.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
having been in your position twice, have you considered a wheel chair? sounds horrible but it is freedom. I found in hospital if I could get hold of one that you turned the wheels yourself I could go anywhere, whizz around, spin corners etc. Could be worth hiring one? May even be possible to use at home. I shopped in Tesco. They had an electric scooter. Used that and managed the shopping on my own. People were helpful about stuff on the top shelves but I was free and mentally it was great. There are lots of mobility centres in towns where you borrow a scooter to go shopping. If you can get to one then you can be off around town and free.
You get to see the world and people from a different viewpoint but mentally it is a real boost that you can do things for yourself. Just being able to go around town and buy yourself a cup of coffee becomes rather wonderful.

I was thinking about a scooter they have them at welwyn which is near me might give it a try I can drive as I have an automatic and it's my left ankle that's knackered.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I understand how you feel, I broke mine just before Spring Bank holiday one year and spent the next 5 weeks on crutches unable to weight bear. A good friend kindly invited me to stay in her bungalow, as we were in the middle of renovations on a Weaver's Cottage, which was lovely of her but I was bored rigid!
Are you still taking pain meds? They can make you feel very down and emotional.
All you can do is tell yourself that 'this too shall pass'. I hope you feel better soon.

thanks I have cut the pain killers right down I was on 2 codeine 2 paracetamol 4 times a day but I get side effects on codeine so only take one now and I often can get away with 3 lots in 24 hours it just depends, I still have a very bruised leg which really hurts but the bruise is yellowing so is getting better.

paddy555

Visit site
I was thinking about a scooter they have them at welwyn which is near me might give it a try I can drive as I have an automatic and it's my left ankle that's knackered.

like many I couldn't cope with the frustration and not doing stuff. I am also not the type to sit down and watch the box. It worked best for me was by trying to work out ways of doing things. That way at least I was achieving something. In the kitchen I used a chair. Stood on the good leg and rested the bad on knee down on the chair. That way I could at least prepare food and wash up.. I trained some of my quiet horses to being led with me on crutches. Had a high bar stool with wheels which meant I could move a little to do housework. I know how you feel I nearly went mad with the inactivity.

However I did discover one good thing. I was sent to physio and their exercises were slow and not that helpful. I then found my perfect physio. My Horse! Strapped my ankle up once the aircast was up with an ankle brace bandaged on and rode my quietest horse. Kept one stirrup a little longer. The rocking action of walking acts to gently move the ankle but it is strapped up so it is safe. Then you can start shortening the stirrup back to normal.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
like many I couldn't cope with the frustration and not doing stuff. I am also not the type to sit down and watch the box. It worked best for me was by trying to work out ways of doing things. That way at least I was achieving something. In the kitchen I used a chair. Stood on the good leg and rested the bad on knee down on the chair. That way I could at least prepare food and wash up.. I trained some of my quiet horses to being led with me on crutches. Had a high bar stool with wheels which meant I could move a little to do housework. I know how you feel I nearly went mad with the inactivity.

However I did discover one good thing. I was sent to physio and their exercises were slow and not that helpful. I then found my perfect physio. My Horse! Strapped my ankle up once the aircast was up with an ankle brace bandaged on and rode my quietest horse. Kept one stirrup a little longer. The rocking action of walking acts to gently move the ankle but it is strapped up so it is safe. Then you can start shortening the stirrup back to normal.

I have just gone outside and made up 8 hay nets which is not easy as it's haylage from a large round bale but zimmer chair really does make it easier as you can sit down a lot of the time it's just pulling the stuff off I struggle with, I also filled up the water out side with the hose pipe which was easy enough, my horses snort at the crutches and the zimmer chair I think I would be pushing it handling them there just living out at the moment getting hay nets which I can tie up over the fence, I do feel I can do a bit more each day the pain is not as bad as it was, thanks for taking the time to reply it has made me feel a lot better.