So, how was your horsey Christmas?

Annagain

Visit site
Today's my first day back in work (in the spare room) since the 23rd. Just before Christmas, I had a great lesson and was feeling really positive about riding every day during my time off. It was just what Charlie and I needed as things have been a bit stop start over the last few months.

OH was working Christmas Day and Boxing Day so we spent Christmas Eve together. Then Christmas Day I was at my parents so didn't ride. That was fine as still plenty of time to ride.

Boxing day, I could only ride early as was doing lunch for my sister and the kids and my parents. It was too foggy at 8 am and I couldn't wait as had to be home to cook by 10. Never mind, plenty more opportunity.

27th we were due to meet in-laws half way for lunch which would have given me time to ride first but FiL ended up in hospital so had to go all the way to theirs instead, we then ended up having to stay over as MiL wasn't really coping on her own so that ruled out the 28th. FiL is fine, turned out to be something and nothing.

We then had friends arriving on the 30th for new year so I spent all day on the 29th cleaning (rather than a bit each day for the two previous days). I then got called for my booster (in Wales, you get given an appt, you don't book) on the morning of the 30th and friends had arrived by the time I got back so no riding that day either or for the next two days as entertaining them.

Finally, on Sunday it was my day. OH was in work, I had nothing else to do, I made arrangements to ride with a friend.... I woke up with a huge swelling in my armpit, reaching all down the side of my body to my waist. I googled and it's an 'uncommon' side effect of the jab. It wasn't hugely painful and I could have managed to ride with it but I couldn't get a bra on and there's no way I could have ridden without one! Lots of ibuprofen later, the swelling went down enough for me to tame the beasts but by then it was dark and a sports bra was still out of the question so I'd have only managed a walk anyway.

Never mind, there was always Monday. I turned the boys out at 7 as Monty won't wee in his stable so has to go out early, then mucked out and did all my jobs. By 8 it was light enough to ride so I went to get C in only to be met with a shoe in the mud near the gate where they roll. I knew straight away it was his. I thought, "don't worry, I'll ride in the school instead" but as I started bringing him in I could see he was sore so that put an end to that.

So now, instead of having had a great couple of weeks of riding, I'm worrying about getting on him after he's had the best part of two weeks off. He'll actually be fine but it doesn't stop me worrying :rolleyes:. On the plus side I thought I'd do a tiny bit of ground work with him in the school yesterday and he nailed the one pole challenge within minutes. As long as he's not sore, I'm planning to lunge him tonight and have a sit on and walk around the school tomorrow morning. The Farrier's due on Thursday anyway. In some ways it's easier when you're in work as you have to manage your time so much better!

Has anyone else struggled to ride as they'd planned over Christmas?

Last edited:

Antw23uk

Visit site
Your 'worry' emotion is unrequired, let it go. You know he'll be fine, by your own admission, so pop that emotion out of your head immediately. Thank you :)

I couldnt even tell you what day it was over the Xmas period but i rode most days ... I think! .. not a clue, lol! I do know i rode about as much as i wanted and that i am thoroughly bored of our hacking route and the mud now!

I cannot wait for us to inch forward in daylight so i can get up to my friends school and back in the light midweek (even semi light will do for hacking back, i can light myself and horse up like a Xmas tree) i am keen as mustard to crack on with some schooling and lessons ... i am bored.com of hacking at weekends!

Annagain

Visit site
Your 'worry' emotion is unrequired, let it go. You know he'll be fine, by your own admission, so pop that emotion out of your head immediately. Thank you :)

I couldnt even tell you what day it was over the Xmas period but i rode most days ... I think! .. not a clue, lol! I do know i rode about as much as i wanted and that i am thoroughly bored of our hacking route and the mud now!

I cannot wait for us to inch forward in daylight so i can get up to my friends school and back in the light midweek (even semi light will do for hacking back, i can light myself and horse up like a Xmas tree) i am keen as mustard to crack on with some schooling and lessons ... i am bored.com of hacking at weekends!

I know but telling my peri-menopausal brain that is another issue. I never used to worry about much at all! Glad you rode enough to be bored of it. Here's to lighter nights and mornings (as I try to ride before work in winter)

Last edited:

Alibear

Visit site
I was lucky and got plenty of riding in and managed to focus on hacking to make use of being around in daylight hours :) We even managed to get out for a jaunt around Thetford forest.
That eases the guilt that now we will mainly be back in the school in the dark for the next 3-4 months.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Sorry your riding plans didn't go to plan OP ?

Poor B has been out doing stuff every day, her last non riding day was 20th December, but..... she is going to have a light January as of later this week due to both extra time at coal face for me and that I detest getting frozen. She didn't get a proper break in Nov or Dec as I'd promised due to mostly decent weather!

MuddyMonster

Visit site
Sorry you didn't get to ride much OP.

I was off from the 17th and packed in loads, so feeling really pleased. Lots of hours spent hacking, explored a few new places, took part in TREC and had a lesson.

I suspect pony might be pleased I'm back at work as he just had a 45 minute ride out via a headtorch today ?

Chippers1

Visit site
Buzz had ulcers so has had the whole Christmas off (now clear!), 4 weeks of not riding! My lovely boyfriend bought me a Pivo for Christmas and i'm itching to try it so hoping to get back on board today. He's hugely fat so really needs the work!

Annagain

Visit site
Buzz had ulcers so has had the whole Christmas off (now clear!), 4 weeks of not riding! My lovely boyfriend bought me a Pivo for Christmas and i'm itching to try it so hoping to get back on board today. He's hugely fat so really needs the work!

Glad he's better. Pivo is a great invention but I hate watching myself ride so doubt I'll get one!

Chippers1

Visit site
I seem to have developed a wobbly right hand so it'll be really useful to watch and keep it in check, videos will most definitely not shared on here though, I can't cope with that much criticism :D

dorsetladette

Visit site
My xmas riding went completely out the window.

Arranged to ride xmas day with friends like we did last year. All dressed up as santa riding round the village. But, it didn't happen. I had my drink spiked on xmas eve so felt rubbish on xmas day and boxing day, we didn't even have xmas dinner until boxing day evening.
Felt a little better on the monday, went for lunch with the mother, got back to horses and OH was refitting the lorry living so felt I should stick around and help - no riding.
Tuesday I had my booster jab in the morning and then caught up on jobs that hadn't been done for a few days due to feeling rough. no riding
Wednesday - wiped out by the booster jab. After poo picking was knackered - no riding.
Thursday - did some shopping in the sales. Jobs at the horses. OH did a bit more at the lorry. no riding/still feeling a it rough from jab.
Friday - ended up ordering new fencing for the yard area, delivery was late. No riding.
Saturday - took yearling out for a walk. Right arm is now officially 2 inches longer than left. no riding.
Sunday - weather was horrible, 'what's one more day'
Monday - erecting new fencing around the yard area. It does look nice - no riding.

So no riding for the whole break for me. I'm disappointed, but it can't be helped. B certainly doesn't mind.

Peglo

Visit site
I got out twice which was a bonus for me. ? I worked a few days between but the weather wasn’t great for a fair weather hacker like me anyway

the one day it was a beautiful morning. Had a lovely ride.

second time was on Hogmanay and she was on her toes. We met up with a friend for the first time and she was also on her toes (and she’s 24) so was maybe something about the looming new year. Had a lovely walk and chat along the beach though.

85E28A4B-CC0A-405A-9D1B-2D6A3DF4F4C1.jpeg

dorsetladette

Visit site
@dorsetladette that is awful you were spiked!! I’m so sorry
I was about to say the same thing. It seems to be happening more and more to a much wider range of people now. Sorry that happened to you.

Peglo - what a beautiful part of the world you live in.

Thank you guys - we haven't been out since the lockdown to a pub unless to have something to eat. It's really put me off going out or drinking. I'm just glad I was with my OH as I remember absolutely nothing from a certain point onwards. He carried me about a mile and a half home. I'm about 9st so not light. He said I was completely out of it. Taxi's wouldn't take me. He didn't realise I had only been drinking shandy as I was up early to ride the following morning, so just thought I had got over excited about christmas. It wasn't until later the following day that I started asking questions about the evening and he realised it wasn't drink.

We only arrived at the pub an hour before they were due to close.

Talking to some friends teenage kids, it seems to be a really common thing on a night out now.

flying_high

Visit site
Think I’ve ridden most days!

23rd Pony was super sharp in his lesson before work on so decided he didn’t need much downtime!
24th Hacking before work
25th Festive tinsel and reindeer ears hacking in the morning
26th Schooled and ground poles
27th video dressage tests at home
28th group polework lesson
29th schooling and vet check up
30th lesson before work
31st hacking
1st Groundwork, long reining, raised walk poles
2nd Boxed out for arena hire, schooling homework and test practise (forgot there was a jumping clinic at home)
3rd 3 hour long slow exploring hack (got off to rest his back a few times)
4th – Day off and massage

I also have acquired all the wet weather gear which helps! Waterproof over trousers, waterproof gloves, water proof breeches, range of waterproof coats etc.

Annagain

Visit site
Call me a fair-weather rider, but I was somewhat put off riding over xmas by the thought of trying to get THIS clean enough for a saddle. :/

View attachment 85356
You're a fair weather rider!

To be fair, at least this one is retired. I swear he's just making extra sure he doesn't get ridden. He's been known to roll as I'm on my way to catch him in the past.
r3uKsCT.jpg

J&S

Visit site
My daughter was staying and she wanted to ride so we went round the village a couple of times. Christmas day was a wash out but we had sunshine on Boxing day. It was lovely to ride with her, just like when she was a teen!

SEL

Visit site
I didn't manage to get out anywhere near as much as I wanted due to the rain - it's just been relentless. Our off road bridlepaths are deep mud and although I don't mind riding on the roads the behaviour of drivers when the roads are wet doesn't make me feel safe.

Lottery win and an arena for 2022 please!! (& If it's a big win then an indoor one ?)

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
Apart from the weather being crappy I rode every day except Xmas day and New Years Eve out of choice. One of my former sharers was home for crimbo so we rode Boxing Day and the Monday. My current sharer rode Tuesday and Thursday. I had a lesson on Wednesday and the Monday after New Year. I also hacked after my lesson on the Monday with another friend. I also finally managed to do a second clip on New Years Day as it was the first day it wasn’t raining since Christmas Eve. I didn’t get any additional yard chores done as it wasn’t nice enough to hang around at the yard.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Today's my first day back in work (in the spare room) since the 23rd. Just before Christmas, I had a great lesson and was feeling really positive about riding every day during my time off. It was just what Charlie and I needed as things have been a bit stop start over the last few months.

OH was working Christmas Day and Boxing Day so we spent Christmas Eve together. Then Christmas Day I was at my parents so didn't ride. That was fine as still plenty of time to ride.

Boxing day, I could only ride early as was doing lunch for my sister and the kids and my parents. It was too foggy at 8 am and I couldn't wait as had to be home to cook by 10. Never mind, plenty more opportunity.

27th we were due to meet in-laws half way for lunch which would have given me time to ride first but FiL ended up in hospital so had to go all the way to theirs instead, we then ended up having to stay over as MiL wasn't really coping on her own so that ruled out the 28th. FiL is fine, turned out to be something and nothing.

We then had friends arriving on the 30th for new year so I spent all day on the 29th cleaning (rather than a bit each day for the two previous days). I then got called for my booster (in Wales, you get given an appt, you don't book) on the morning of the 30th and friends had arrived by the time I got back so no riding that day either or for the next two days as entertaining them.

Finally, on Sunday it was my day. OH was in work, I had nothing else to do, I made arrangements to ride with a friend.... I woke up with a huge swelling in my armpit, reaching all down the side of my body to my waist. I googled and it's an 'uncommon' side effect of the jab. It wasn't hugely painful and I could have managed to ride with it but I couldn't get a bra on and there's no way I could have ridden without one! Lots of ibuprofen later, the swelling went down enough for me to tame the beasts but by then it was dark and a sports bra was still out of the question so I'd have only managed a walk anyway.

Never mind, there was always Monday. I turned the boys out at 7 as Monty won't wee in his stable so has to go out early, then mucked out and did all my jobs. By 8 it was light enough to ride so I went to get C in only to be met with a shoe in the mud near the gate where they roll. I knew straight away it was his. I thought, "don't worry, I'll ride in the school instead" but as I started bringing him in I could see he was sore so that put an end to that.

So now, instead of having had a great couple of weeks of riding, I'm worrying about getting on him after he's had the best part of two weeks off. He'll actually be fine but it doesn't stop me worrying :rolleyes:. On the plus side I thought I'd do a tiny bit of ground work with him in the school yesterday and he nailed the one pole challenge within minutes. As long as he's not sore, I'm planning to lunge him tonight and have a sit on and walk around the school tomorrow morning. The Farrier's due on Thursday anyway. In some ways it's easier when you're in work as you have to manage your time so much better!

Has anyone else struggled to ride as they'd planned over Christmas?
I don't celebrate Christmas anymore. I have worked 3 weeks continually no day off through Xmas and New Year. I stuck to my usual routine of riding, except xmas day as i drove over to see mum as she was on her own in care home.

up to 23rd work as usual then

23rd did my livery yard as usual .................. schooling
24th did my livery yard ........................ lunged as usual
25th .................................. did my yard as usual
26th yard as usual........................................... hacked
27th yard as usual.......... lunged
28th yard as usual .............................. schooled
29th yard as usual............... mare had day off
30th l yard work as usual...................... schooled
31st yard work.............................lunged
1st.. yard as usual.......................................hacked..
2nd yard as usual........................hacked
3rd yard work as usual.................................lunged
4th – yard work as usual .................................. trainer schooled her

Last edited: