So I bought a Cobbler....tell me about them

GoldenWillow

Visit site
She's lovely, love her markings. I've a traditional cob with full mane and feathers. He was trimmed and had a pulled mane when when I got him albeit growing out and despite never really being a fan of the hairy look I let it grow and love it. We go with the neglect route mainly but I do do a few things. I'll spray his feathers with pig oil every so often, I just use pig oil not with sulphur, don't use a neck rug even when he's fully clipped as his mane fully covers one side, have a good check through his feathers regularly and he does occasionally get scabby bits behind his knees which get sudocrem on them. When it's very hot I'll put his mane in long plaits, under the mane is the perfect hand warmer in winter! I do trim his beard and ears, probably not correct but they were a hairy step too far. Have loads of fun with her, J is the most traffic proof and basically sensible horse but is also a fun forward ride and puts a smile on my face every day.

Carlosmum

Visit site
I'd had nothing to do with cobs until the loan loan pony arrived 18 months ago. He is a lovely chap, but entirely motivated by his stomach. The first place he located in the farm yard was the feed room ( lots of yummy rolled barley) followed by the silage clamp!!

meleeka

Visit site
Also peeps am I allowed to trim her face fluff if I want to keep her traditional? I do trim my Shetland ans show her as full native but is allowed for a Cobbler? She doesnt have a tache.
I do the beard. Mine has a lovely pony head that looks like a brick if I don’t! I think trimming rules are similar to shetlands, in that it shouldn’t look trimmed.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Mine was 14.2hh when I got him at 5. He was in 5'6 rugs then grew to 15.1hh and went up to a 6'3 rug. Expect her to grow!

I hog because his mane is rubbish but he has the big feathers. They're oiled with baby oil, I pay particular attention to behind the knees and the heels as the joint areas seem to be hotbed for malllenders/sallenders/mud fever and needs to be felt for under all that hair.

I echo the feed thing, mine lives on fresh air and needs a muzzle or strip grazing if possible. Very trainable, just wave a carrot near him to make him do anything! I'll post a show photo.
1545991962711.jpeg
And what he looks like in summer:
1545992062358.jpeg

Last edited:

Apercrumbie

Visit site
She's gorgeous! My main advice is to be firm with ground manners - they can easily turn into bargy thugs if allowed to. Brush her feathers as often as you can bear in winter and definitely use pig oil or an equivalent. We didn't find the manes too onerous as long as we had a certain brush - can't remember the name but will try to. It has a long handle, a round head with stiff plastic bristles reasonably spaced out - great for long manes!