So I called the vet..after some thoughts

emfen1305

Visit site
Ok so after my initial overthinking post last night, I had another look this morning and still wasn't happy and he sounded very odd on the trot up. I sent a video to the physio who said there was a definite head bob so he is lame left fore so vet required anyway (or rest but she wont treat him whilst lame). Instructor looked at the video of him on the lunge and confirmed short left hind.

My understanding is when they are short on one hind its because it's the other hind that hurts so in this case the right hind is likely to be the issue which would maybe make sense with the left fore being short too - is that right? My physio has always remarked that he has an "odd" right hind but he's never been lame.

Some other "odd" things about him:
- He is heavy down the left rein on both reins, it really feels like he hangs on it
- I have noticed some clicking in his back legs - no idea where it is coming from, definitely not his feet brushing together or anything
- On the lunge on the left rein, he will tilt his head to the inside (left ear towards the floor) when going into canter and in then in canter
- Struggles to get the left canter lead on the left rein on the lunge
- Ridden he struggles to maintain contact and work over the back, he is quite hollow

Some of these things I was told will get better with time or not to worry about but now with the lameness I am inclined to think they point to an issue. He is booked in for a work up a week on Monday anyway but just looking for some HHO wisdom!

Last edited:

emfen1305

Visit site
@milliepops that's the hardest part. I could have had an earlier slot but want the same vet who dealt with my old horse as I liked her style!

@ester send them over, I am seriously contemplating a normal person hobby