So I've bought a trailer.... Now questions!!

ellis9905

Visit site
So I've bitten the bullet and bought a trailer..now have a few questions:

I'd like to take out a breakdown / recovery insurance for peace of mind if something happens when I'm out and about with the horse... Who do you use? What kinda price are you paying?

What security devices do you use on your trailer? Wheel lock ? Hitch lock??

I've bought a secondhand Bateson- it comes with a removable tack cover that your clip on, it also comes with something bag like made from same material that has two clips ...lady selling trailer wasn't sure what this was for..I'm guessing it could be a haybag?? Anyone got any better idea??

Thanks
:)

FfionWinnie

Visit site
I use a wheel lock on the rear drivers side wheel. It's a BTC lock fast and there are long wheel nuts to put on so you can easily put it on and off. Rear wheel so a thief can't lift it and drive on the rear wheels. Drivers side so more chance of you seeing before you drive off if you forget to take it off.

I use PRPrescue. If you have AA cover you get a discount from PRP.

Michen

Visit site
The trailer I bought in the end came with one of these- so much easier than the ones you have to dismantle etc!!!

I use a wheel lock on the rear drivers side wheel. It's a BTC lock fast and there are long wheel nuts to put on so you can easily put it on and off. Rear wheel so a thief can't lift it and drive on the rear wheels. Drivers side so more chance of you seeing before you drive off if you forget to take it off.

I use PRPrescue. If you have AA cover you get a discount from PRP.

wench

Visit site
AA/RAC cover with horse trailer breakdown as an extra.

If your towing with a truck make sure you have commercial breakdown

TheSylv007

www.ridewelland.co.uk
I've got breakdown with SEIB who insure the trailer as well. It added about £80. I have a Bulldog wheelclamp which is very heavy duty and secure but a bit of a nightmare to fit! I also have a hitchlock which enables me to lock the trailer to the hitch (which is useful if you go to events where you might leave your car for some time, such as pleasure rides). I always put the wheel clamp on a back wheel, on the front the trailer can be winched up and run on the back wheels.

dibbin

Visit site
We have breakdown cover for our tow car which covers the trailer and horses as well, I think it's with Equine Rescue.

Trailer is insured on my horse insurance policy with Scottish Equestrian, we keep it in the driveway at home with a hitch lock (SAS Fortress) and wheel clamp.

Annagain

Visit site
I use a Bulldog SAS clamp. Pretty easy to put on and take off but you do need an allen key. I'm amazed I haven't yet lost said allen key (in 11 years, I'm doing very well by my standards!) I have a certain place in the trailer where I put it and make sure I put it back there every time.

My IW510 has a built in hitch lock. I always lock it when parking the trailer and usually lock the trailer on if I'm going anywhere like the beach where I leave it unattended.

I have breakdown cover through the OHTO which I believe is now part of PRP. About £50 with the AA discount applied. Never had cause to use them yet and hope I never have to!

McFluff

Visit site
ROG your advice and support is excellent - I very much appreciated it :)

OP - I've got my trailer insured through four counties and part of the t&c is to use a wheel clamp. I'm using a bulldog one - so far found it easy to put on and take off.

Recovery is through equine rescue - think it was £50.

Not needed to use any policy yet - long may that continue!

Thanks to others about advice on what wheel to clamp - will move mine to a rear wheel at the weekend.

MagicMelon

Visit site
What sort of Bateson is it? Never heard of a clip-on tack box in a Bateson and dont know what the bag thing is! I'm on my second Bateson Ascot - its got a built-in tack locker but I know ones like the Deauville don't so is it a movable type locker like I know Ifor Williams do?

We have breakdown cover but I cant for the life of me remember who its with... (card is in the car!). I use a bog standard wheel clamp (yellow one that you can get off Ebay). I also lock the hitch if I'm going away with the supplied key. I was going to buy one of those proper box covers which lock over the top of the tow bar but I worried I might not be able to get it off. Just remember to keep the brake off while its sitting about or the wheels can sieze up on older ones - our last one used to do that a lot, even if we didnt put the brake on! New one doesn't but I've always been told not to leave brake on, just to put blocks in front of wheels.

Last edited:

Suelin

Visit site
I have a large wheel clamp and a bulldog hitch lock and a huge chain concreted into the ground with a hefty lock on it that goes around the metal towing frame. You can also buy those stick on letters with your postcode that you can stick to the roof. I have all of these. RAC breakdown with additional cover for the trailer assist.

pepsimaxrock

Visit site
When my hired trailer snaked and overturned on the A1 with two horses inside I was bliddy glad I had recovery for all:
Horses
Trailer
Car.

Car - my 4x4 - was fine but trailer was a write off. Horses had a scratch each. phew.

I used Antony d Evans at the time. Now I have Equine Rescue. It costs 100 per year to insure for complete breakdown n recovery which includes car on its own too. Trailer itself also costs 100. Questioning the value for money of that.

equinerescue

Visit site
When my hired trailer snaked and overturned on the A1 with two horses inside I was bliddy glad I had recovery for all:
Horses
Trailer
Car.

Car - my 4x4 - was fine but trailer was a write off. Horses had a scratch each. phew.

I used Antony d Evans at the time. Now I have Equine Rescue. It costs 100 per year to insure for complete breakdown n recovery which includes car on its own too. Trailer itself also costs 100. Questioning the value for money of that.

Just a small point to clear up the value question, but Equine Rescue Services trailer only breakdown cover costs £52 / year, not £100. Their Equicar products which cover the towing vehicle plus the trailer start at £99. Hope that helps!