So, Millie’s Wolfheart advocates.....

{97702}

Visit site
I will freely admit, I have been a total 🐑 and have ordered a sample bag, purely because so many people on here have said it is so good 😊

I had an online chat with an advisor today about the 3 slightly skinny girls (one hyperactive and two elderly) and Marty-who-is-built-like-a-tank, they suggested some products so I’m going to give it a try

Now at the very least I expect ALL of my dogs to turn into a cross between Lassie & Hong Kong Phooey (which totally shows my age, Google is your friend there!) as I have read so many times how great it is 😄

Only joking of course, this is very much tongue in cheek and I really hope it is taken that way as I really don’t want to insult anyone 😊 it’s a shame Skinners doesn’t quite fit the needs of my current Greyhound Gang, but I’m a great believer in adjusting as the individual dogs require so fingers crossed 😊

Clodagh

Visit site
I love it, although some is incredibly high protein, and I search out the lower end stuff off season. Which ratio did they recommend?

{97702}

Visit site
They said 40/60 for the hounds, as they need high carbs but cannot tolerate high protein. I’m aware there will be a transition phase but I can work through that if it suits them otherwise, they did say Marty might need 50/50 as he holds weight a lot better 😊

Annette4

Visit site
Welcome to team Millies! I’m thinking about moving Dobby only 40/60 as he’s still very slim on 50/50 but I can’t help think it’s partly the Saluki as he’s not underweight just pointy 😂

Clodagh

Visit site
They said 40/60 for the hounds, as they need high carbs but cannot tolerate high protein. I’m aware there will be a transition phase but I can work through that if it suits them otherwise, they did say Marty might need 50/50 as he holds weight a lot better 😊
Good call, mine do better on the 40/60 than the 50/50, weight wise.

Chiffy

Visit site
I have tried MWH three times because it’s been recommended but it never worked and my dogs are not difficult to feed. They were constipated on it and I couldn’t adjust the levels for them to look well, the right body weight and correct poos!
I noticed on facebook you found the website confusing, too much choice. I so agree!

Kat_Bath

Visit site
So far, Harvey has had Farmers and he's on a bag of Riverside at the moment, with a bag of Gamekeeper waiting in the cupboard.

His transition from the food he was on (Morrisons own brand I think) to Millies was amazing. His poos decreased significantly (only one hand required now 😂) and his coat is shiny and he looks great. He has also lost a fair amount of fat and gained muscle - he's lost a kg and is now 29kg but looks like he's lost a lot more. I was a bit concerned he was loosing too much but then he got a skin infection in his paw and hasn't been out for walks for 4 days but still had his normal amount of food - lucky boy!

{97702}

Visit site
I have tried MWH three times because it’s been recommended but it never worked and my dogs are not difficult to feed. They were constipated on it and I couldn’t adjust the levels for them to look well, the right body weight and correct poos!
I noticed on facebook you found the website confusing, too much choice. I so agree!

Yep I think their website is crazy - I still actually have no idea what the splits are meant to represent? Is it the protein/carb split?

The online advisor was very helpful and answered very quickly, but made no allowance for the fact that the dogs all get the same time duration of exercise but have massively different energy outputs during that time. Flick trots at my heels, Millie is on the go the whole time!

It will be interesting to experiment, I must admit I found the Barking Heads website equally uninformative - different products with various stupid names, but no indication what the product would do for your dog? Surely this isn’t too much to ask from a feed company 😊

Chiffy

Visit site
I agree Levrier. The Barking Heads name itself and the names for their individual foods really annoy me, but by my own experimenting it suits my dogs. All are retrievers but different ages and energy levels so they eat a different amount of the same food.

TheresaW

www.justgiving.com
Our 2 have been on it for about a year now, 13yo Border Collie who is overweight, and 16 month old husky who is a perfect weight. We have slowly got weight off Aled, he came to us grossly overweight, but probably got as much off him now as we are likely to. Both dogs probably do 2 poos a day each, and as poo goes, they’re a nice consistency if you know what I mean. Huskies apparently are prone to sensitive tummies, but not had any issues with Luna (touch wood).

CollieMum

New User
Visit site
Hi all, I’m new to this forum and I’ve come to ask for your opinions on something that’s causing me concern about MWH. I’ve been feeding it to my dogs for a year or so and been generally happy with it, although I agree with the comments about website complexity.

However, my last delivery of two large bags arrived with seriously damaged packaging which caused me to inspect the actual bags to make sure they were intact. On looking closely, I noticed that the bags had rows of puncture holes across the tops and bottoms on both sides. The plastic is punctured right through by rows of spikes, leaving the kibble exposed to the air. Thinking that there had been a faulty handling machine or something, I contacted MWH, only to be “reassured” that it was deliberate and they puncture the filled bags to allow ventilation without which there would be a condensation problem inside.

I was shocked by this, having assumed that the product was safely packed into airtight bags to protect it from contamination and oxidation. But this is definitely not the case and the holes in the bags leave the kibble at risk of contamination by bacteria and vermin during warehouse storage and transportation. I have fed my dogs many brands of dry food over the years and never encountered this before. I’d be very interested to know what others think of this. Am I worrying unnecessarily?

twiggy2

Visit site
Hi all, I’m new to this forum and I’ve come to ask for your opinions on something that’s causing me concern about MWH. I’ve been feeding it to my dogs for a year or so and been generally happy with it, although I agree with the comments about website complexity.

However, my last delivery of two large bags arrived with seriously damaged packaging which caused me to inspect the actual bags to make sure they were intact. On looking closely, I noticed that the bags had rows of puncture holes across the tops and bottoms on both sides. The plastic is punctured right through by rows of spikes, leaving the kibble exposed to the air. Thinking that there had been a faulty handling machine or something, I contacted MWH, only to be “reassured” that it was deliberate and they puncture the filled bags to allow ventilation without which there would be a condensation problem inside.

I was shocked by this, having assumed that the product was safely packed into airtight bags to protect it from contamination and oxidation. But this is definitely not the case and the holes in the bags leave the kibble at risk of contamination by bacteria and vermin during warehouse storage and transportation. I have fed my dogs many brands of dry food over the years and never encountered this before. I’d be very interested to know what others think of this. Am I worrying unnecessarily?
I have seen it on quite a few different plastic feed bags

Chiffy

Visit site
I don’t feed MWH, CollieMum as I am one of a minority who don’t get on with it but I went to check my feed bags, Barking Heads. They have a small plastic disc attached to the inside top of one side of the bag, from the outside there is a circle of tiny pinpricks. The bags themselves are very strong and are lined with a tough silver foil. Beautifully packaged I would say but obviously there is some sort of breath ability there.
Hope you get some package info from other MWH people.

Clodagh

Visit site
I just went and looked at the five big bags of it I have in the larder and although at a glance I can't see any holes there obviously are some because if you squeeze the bag there is no trapped air. Also I imagine in sealed bags you get condensation with temperature changes?

rabatsa

Far from the madding crowd
Visit site
My sheep nut bags have ventilation holes in them. When I asked about them it is because the nuts are still warm from the cubing process when bagged and would sweat/clump/mould if the bag did not let them breathe.

CollieMum

New User
Visit site
Rabatsa, that's interesting and I think it must be the reason MWH do it. But there has to be a better way of tackling that problem, surely? After all, when we buy packaged dried goods for human consumption they don't have ventilation holes in the bags and they're airtight. I haven't seen holes like the ones in my MWH bags in any other dog food so think other manufacturers have found a way of dealing with the potential for condensation - maybe by not bagging the kibble until it's dry and cooled. We're warned about storing dried dog food properly to avoid the risk of oxidation - keeping it in it's original, closed, bag rather than tipping it out into another container, for example. But here is the manufacturer itself punching a lot of quite large holes in the bags and allowing the air in, creating the perfect conditions for oxidation. Not to mention the open invitation to insects while in the warehouse. Think I'm going to ask them again to explain why this wouldn't be the case, and hope they can set my mind at rest.