So much changes when you're out of the loop!

Durhamchance

Visit site
I've mentioned before that I'm getting back into horses/riding after a lengthy break and I'm currently reading and digesting anything and everything 'horse' to bring me back up to speed while I'm waiting for my lesson to come around.
So much has changed in the last decade!

First of all I keep seeing these strange bridles everywhere, I had to Google 'bridle that looks like a head collar' to learn about the Micklem!

Then I couldn't understand why horses were being ridden in showjumping in a fly veil? Are flys really so troublesome when you're jumping?! Apparently it's to muffle the crowd noise, tannoy system? Or is it a fashion statement?

That brings me on to 'matchy matchy' Now I have to say I love this! All those lovely colours to co-ordinate your horse, I remember the days when polo bandages only came in black, navy, bottle and burgundy. Now I'm drooling over peacock green and raspberry sets.

Coloured stirrups? Again, I'm quite taken with these, but £200 a pair for the high tech safety ones?! Ouch.

When did Robinsons stop making a catalogue? And when did they get taken over by sports direct? :(

Then finally I had to fill in a rider registration form, and it asked how high I can jump. I go to enter about 3ft and find everything is in cm? I had to fetch the tape measure to figure it out. I'm sure we always used to jump in feet and inches. Thankfully we do still measure horses in hands!

So what else has changed? Have I made anyone else feel as old as I do now lol (I'm only in my mid thirties too :eek:)

fattylumpkin

www.thestoryofhorses.com
I feel the same still and I've been back in the game for a couple of years now! I love some of the newer developments that didn't exist for me as a teen, like TREC competitions, and how big Working Equitations has grown.

The realm of treeless saddles and bitless bridles and hoof boots is massive, with its own factions each warring upon the other, and changes so fast that you can never make heads or tails of anything.

Horsey nutrition has come a long way, but also gotten quite scary at how easy it is to believe that everything we feed our horses currently is WRONG and BAD and UNNATURAL and your horse can only ever be healthy if fed Company X's special supplement. I don't think people had the time or money for that years ago. Similarly, horse management has changed a lot from what I remember, and everything has become quite tailored to the wishes of individual owners. How turnout is managed, the type of turnout, stabling, rugging, and all things in between aren't straight forward processes anymore, they're a major palaver because so few people have lost the ability to make a compromise. Being able to kick up a massive fuss and get your own way is essential.

The traffic situation is dire, I need say no more.

But to end on a positive note, the internet had transformed horse ownership for me. I don't know how I got on without it!

Pippity

Visit site
Then finally I had to fill in a rider registration form, and it asked how high I can jump. I go to enter about 3ft and find everything is in cm? I had to fetch the tape measure to figure it out. I'm sure we always used to jump in feet and inches. Thankfully we do still measure horses in hands!

Measuring them in cm does seem to be growing in popularity, though! Thankfully a hand is roughly 10cm, so it's not ENTIRELY incomprehensible.

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
I've mentioned before that I'm getting back into horses/riding after a lengthy break and I'm currently reading and digesting anything and everything 'horse' to bring me back up to speed while I'm waiting for my lesson to come around.
So much has changed in the last decade!

First of all I keep seeing these strange bridles everywhere, I had to Google 'bridle that looks like a head collar' to learn about the Micklem!

Then I couldn't understand why horses were being ridden in showjumping in a fly veil? Are flys really so troublesome when you're jumping?! Apparently it's to muffle the crowd noise, tannoy system? Or is it a fashion statement?

That brings me on to 'matchy matchy' Now I have to say I love this! All those lovely colours to co-ordinate your horse, I remember the days when polo bandages only came in black, navy, bottle and burgundy. Now I'm drooling over peacock green and raspberry sets.

Coloured stirrups? Again, I'm quite taken with these, but £200 a pair for the high tech safety ones?! Ouch.

When did Robinsons stop making a catalogue? And when did they get taken over by sports direct? :(

So what else has changed? Have I made anyone else feel as old as I do now lol (I'm only in my mid thirties too :eek:)

Such a funny thread OP, I like your writing style :D...

Micklems - suits some, but not others. I'd say the reason it was invented to "be more horse face friendly relieve pain/sensitivity etc" is a gimmick. If people didn't over-tighten a conventional bridle in the first place, there would be no such issues.

Fly veil - we have resorted to fly veils due to flies! Its made a difference to the incessant head shaking in summer. For us anyway.

Matchy - quite like it too :)

Coloured stirrups - I like the lighter composite ones you can get for £30. Couldn't justify £200 for a coloured pair (or is it each?).

Robinsons - no idea, forgotten all about it as I do everything online now... and never even knew they got taken over.

Imperial/metric - does my head in!!

Fattylumpkin mentions feed but I went through a learning curve when I picked up the reins again many years ago after a 5 year college/uni break in the 90's and was excited there were all these compound feeds - then had a horse go down with laminitis due to the high sugary content :(... back to old fashioned straights for me, in fact I feed very little and horses never looked better and I have turned into somewhat of a hoof-geek! (Look that one up ;))

Bernster

Visit site
Love the observations. I didn't ride much as a youngster so am not so aware of the changes but there is a huge amount that you can now spend your time and money on! And make it public for all the world to see via social media.

Durhamchance

Visit site
It's honestly blowing my mind! Lol

Arena evening is a new one on me too, I've been watching YouTube videos and it looks like so much fun! I've not heard of Trec too, so I'm off to Google that :)