So much fun!!!

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
Kia and I pootled off to a local arena for a play today. We had a blast :D

He was stiff as I expected, we haven't done any schooling since summer 2015 but I asked for him to stretch down and change the pace of the walk and trot and then I left it at that, no collection even attempted as he was finding this a challenge.

We put some poles out as well and trotted and *ahem* cantered over them then I though oh hell why not and we had a Tiny jump, intact I wouldn't have called it a jump but hey it's more than he's done since 2015 so I'll let him off :D

We didn't just do the one rein all the time but my photographer was one sided it seems ;) I also learned that layers and stripes don't make for a good picture but hey ho :D

Enjoy the pics :)

Warm up pics

Pole work

Small jumps

This was our first attempt lol he stood on it with one back foot but lifted it so he didn't bring the poles down, I'd post the vid but it's not pretty lol

Trying again

He hasn't jumped since summer 2015 so he was a little rusty and so was I lol but we had fun and he was certainly willing, not bad for a 26yr old. It's given me some mojo back as well so I think more schooling and stretching will be included in out hacks instead of just wandering the countryside :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Annagain

Visit site
He's lovely and doing great for his age. I was about to ask if he was an older horse but you answered by question so I'll ask another. Is the grey age related or has he always had those marks? My old boy was black and went a bit grey in his mane but not on his body. He made it to 27.

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
He's lovely and doing great for his age. I was about to ask if he was an older horse but you answered by question so I'll ask another. Is the grey age related or has he always had those marks? My old boy was black and went a bit grey in his mane but not on his body. He made it to 27.

He has Appaloosa in him so he has always had roan and also being a rabicano but he is getting whiter and developing more spots as he gets older. He was almost black when I bought him, now in summer he is very roan :)

Thanks damnation and SA :) He was diagnosed with Cushings in sept with quite high levels, it hasn't been plain sailing but we are doing our best to enjoy life again :)

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
lovely to see him looking so well and enjoying life :) Well done OP, you're obviously caring for him so well - I've followed your threads about his cushings so this must be extra special for you.

Lintel

Visit site
I must have missed you... Looking at your pictures I was thinking.. I recognise this arena. Its the yafs we are at lol! Hope to see you back didn't realise you were as close Black Beastie :)
Pictures are lovely looks like you both had a ball!

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
lovely to see him looking so well and enjoying life :) Well done OP, you're obviously caring for him so well - I've followed your threads about his cushings so this must be extra special for you.

Thanks you I have been worried at loads of different points but I've decided we just have to enjoy the little things the most and deal with what comes our way now :)

Oh it's so nice seeing the two of you looking so enthusiastic. :)

Thank you very much, he was very up for it today, I couldn't get him to walk for the first 5mons of being seated lol :D

He looks really keen! And amazing for his age!

Thank you :) I try my hardest for him within my abilities.

I must have missed you... Looking at your pictures I was thinking.. I recognise this arena. Its the yafs we are at lol! Hope to see you back didn't realise you were as close Black Beastie :)
Pictures are lovely looks like you both had a ball!

Hi :) yes we will be back we were there for an hour just before lunchtime :) he had a blast, first time in an arena in years :)

Cecile

Visit site
5th picture down I would want framed, your smile says it all. I really enjoy such lovely photo's thank you for posting them
Well done he is a credit to you

Lintel

Visit site
Thanks you I have been worried at loads of different points but I've decided we just have to enjoy the little things the most and deal with what comes our way now :)

Thank you very much, he was very up for it today, I couldn't get him to walk for the first 5mons of being seated lol :D

Thank you :) I try my hardest for him within my abilities.

Hi :) yes we will be back we were there for an hour just before lunchtime :) he had a blast, first time in an arena in years :)

Great, glad you had a lovely time! Weather has been pretty good to us recently!

mytwofriends

Visit site
He looks amazing for 26! And you sound like a lovely, kind and sympathetic owner. He is lucky to have you!

What a lovely happy post. Thanks for sharing with us! 😀

Amye

Visit site
Oh you both look like you're having so much fun <3

What a lovely old boy, he looks amazing and sounds like he has a lovely owner too :)

I love these kind of posts, thank you for posting. Reminds you what we all do it for!

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
Great, glad you had a lovely time! Weather has been pretty good to us recently!

It has :) long may it continue :D

He looks amazing for 26! And you sound like a lovely, kind and sympathetic owner. He is lucky to have you!

What a lovely happy post. Thanks for sharing with us! &#55357;&#56832;

Thank you :)

I appreciate your kind words :)

Oh you both look like you're having so much fun <3

What a lovely old boy, he looks amazing and sounds like he has a lovely owner too :)

I love these kind of posts, thank you for posting. Reminds you what we all do it for!

Thank you :)

I was actually half expecting someone to come on and pick us apart (it is HHO after all ;)) but I'm glad people are just enjoying the pictures and fun for what it is, veteran pony and his mad long suffering owner having some fun :D

sav123

Visit site
I love old horses! And yours is no exception. He looks fantastic, a true credit to you.

(PS - looks like there's a bit of brake failure going on in the last pole pic (green & yellow)! Only old horses are allowed to do this ;-))

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
I love old horses! And yours is no exception. He looks fantastic, a true credit to you.

(PS - looks like there's a bit of brake failure going on in the last pole pic (green & yellow)! Only old horses are allowed to do this ;-))

Lol the one with the blue pole wasn't supposed to be an levitation exercise either but he was keen :D

He does get more slack than I would ever give a youngster but on the other hand I trust him more than anything, had him 15+ years now :)

Makes me happy seeing oldies well cared for and having fun :)

Thank you, his vitality is something I honestly enjoy, even when he's being an opinionated twit :D

sav123

Visit site
He does get more slack than I would ever give a youngster

The oldies get away with absolute murder! My friend's 30-ish y.o. is probably the most opinionated, demanding horse I've ever met, proper grumpy old man who is always shouting at everyone to attend to his every need. He has his own routine which is completely different to all the others and heaven help anyone who tries to change it. However, he thrives on it and looks set to carry on for a good while yet (he's just coming through his seventh or eighth 'last winter'....).

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
The oldies get away with absolute murder! My friend's 30-ish y.o. is probably the most opinionated, demanding horse I've ever met, proper grumpy old man who is always shouting at everyone to attend to his every need. He has his own routine which is completely different to all the others and heaven help anyone who tries to change it. However, he thrives on it and looks set to carry on for a good while yet (he's just coming through his seventh or eighth 'last winter'....).

He lost his attitude when he was first diagnosed with Cushings and some other things were going on as well, if he hadn't perked up and his character hadn't returned than I was seriously not considering his future but as the pics show he is feeling good and although not the best muscle wise at the moment it's a work in progress.

They need cheek and character when they are older I think, it is great isn't it to see the oldies demanding stuff they never would have when younger lol :) I love his I have to admit lol :D