So now i have the oppurtunity, need a little guidance...

kayleigh_and_rocky

www.kayleigh-nicholls.piczo.com
I posted a while ago about my horse being VERY on the forehand and downhill. Someone mentioned starting from the very beginning with him and retrain him. Well now hes been off work for nearly a month, and am just starting to bring him back into work now. So the question is, when i start schooling him again, what approach should i take to help him to get off his forehand (or not even start on his forehand!!) and tips now i have the oppurtunity to start from scratch again? Before i start schooling him i'm building up his fitness and muscles using the pessoa and hacking so this will help him be strong enough again. So yeah any schooling advice soooo welcome!!

eohippus

equi-librium.mysite.orange.co.uk
you could try doing lots of halt to walk to halt transitions, place walk poles on the diagonal, longside and on circle, after each, halt, ask to walk but make sure he is going from behind, whilst lungeing you could raise the end of the poles to encourage engagement, and when riding do above but use lots of leg,seat to hand aids. When working on transitions make sure he go through round and from behind, if he falls, hollows, resists ect, halt and try again.
When fittening, never allow to fall onto forehand when going up or down through the paces, use gentle low steady inclines but go up and down slowly to make him use his behind.
hoope this helps a little.
Good luck
Dawn