So relieved I might cry! (pointless thread aleart!)

Pennythetank

Visit site
Sorry for the pointless thread but have nobody at home right now and need to share my happiness!
Old mare (retired) went slightly lame last Thursday(?) and got progressively worse since. First thought was oh cr*p! since it was the leg she has the most arthritis in (hock area-doesn't normally affect her badly unless super cold) but called the vet anyway and he said box rest and a small bute for a few days and see how it goes. (Normally on the very rare occasion she has a flare up after 1-3 days her arthritis settles down again) Didn't get better so yesterday morning my thoughts progressed to oh cr*p she's done a bloody tendon or something stup*d. Called the vet, they said they would be there either that day or this morning. Yesterday evening suddenly her fetlock swelled to twice it's size and although it wasn't a good sign, all I could think was 'thank God, this means not a tendon or her arthritis!!'
The vet has been and gone and my poor girl has a massive drop! Lots of tubbing and polticing and she will be as right as rain. It's one of the rare times we can celebrate over a drop and I feel like a right idiot for not recognizing what it was straight away but that's life.
I can offer flapjacks and lukewarm tea for anyone that bothered to read that whole pointless post. 🐴🐴

Sukistokes2

Visit site
Phew!!!! My boy had such a bad one a few years ago , his leg was so swollen I thought he had broken his leg in the field. I called the vet rather then get my farrier out. It was such a relief when that pus shot out on to the floor.....I feel your relief!

L&M

Visit site
Its ridiculous the relief when you realise it is 'only' an abscess!!!

Our lovely little hunting cob went very lame last Autumn, a week before opening meet, and couldn't get hold of my farrier, so had the vet out instead. Although she hoof tested him, he didn't react, so she diagnosed a stifle issue - cue me googling and imagining the worst.

However once my farrier got back to me, he insisted on coming out for a 2nd opinion and straight away found an abscess and infected nail hole - I could have kissed him!

Pennythetank

Visit site
Tonight was the happiest I've ever been to rewrap a poltic! *does a little happy dance at the sight of my girl walking normally with weight on her leg*

Peregrine Falcon

Looking forward to drier days
Visit site
Oh I get you! When April was going lame a few weeks ago after poulticing/hot tubbing etc and getting nowhere I started the "what if she's fractured pedal bone etc?" Grit in her hoof was her problem. These damn abscesses can take some getting drawn. Pleased to hear you have a good result. :)

Pennythetank

Visit site
Thanks guys xx It was so lovely to see her walking around the yard this morning as I mucked out. Now just have to stop feeling cruel when I have to put her back in the stable. I don't know who hates the box rest more, me or her! :)

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Oh good news! I nearly had a horse put down last year after 4 1/2 months of on-off lameness, x-rays, bute, hoof testers did nothing. Finally had a very brave new vet excavate an ENORMOUS hole in the sole of both front feet to discover two old, foetid, undiscovered abscesses. Been sound as a pound ever since!

Mylife

Visit site
I panicked when you said 'can't believe I didn't recognise a drop' thinking omg I do t even know what a drop is let alone how to spot one!! Glad it was just an abcess have fun polticing! X

Pennythetank

Visit site
I panicked when you said 'can't believe I didn't recognise a drop' thinking omg I do t even know what a drop is let alone how to spot one!! Glad it was just an abcess have fun polticing! X
Haha sorry guys I didn't realise that the word drop is so unknown on the other side of the sea! :D