So, the hunting didn't work out too well...

LauraBR

Visit site
And it started off so well too!

Loaded no problem, unloaded calmly. Calm to get on, walked beautifully up to the meet with plenty of other horses. Stood about calmly waiting to go off. Threw a big buck and naffed off with me in the first field we cantered in but soon got the measure of him and we had a good twenty minute blast through the countryside- really enjoyed it!

But it all went horribly wrong when he had to stand for ages with us all surrounding the wood. He wouldn't stand still (fair enough) jogging about, threatening to bolt/buck... spinning. Got more and more upset as if the whole concept of standing for so long after bombing round was too much. Got worse and worse to the point were he was running backwards and nearly falling over, rearing, and flybucking on the spot. He was skaking like mad, dripping, could feel his heart racing like crazy.

Got to the point where he was going to flip out completely and I was losing control of him altogether so I hopped off and called it a day. Maybe not a wise move getting off but ho hum- the time had come where it looked as though I'd be off him shortly anyway so decided to make it my choice.

Seemed cubbing was just all too much for him! It was a NIGHTMARE tryng to get him back to the lorry on my own and waiting with him as he just would not calm down. Not fun.

Have no idea whether he was ever been hunting before... didn't think he had but then the way he reacted to the horn and the hounds kind of made me question it.

Anyway, I achieved my aim of not falling off (even if I cheated a bit) and until the standing about he was very good so thinking he'll be ok SJ tomorrow.

I'm very tired!

piaffe

Visit site
Oooh dear!
crazy.gif
I'd have done the same thing to i have to say.

Thats the problem with cubbing, there is quite a lot of "nothingness". Someone suggested i take my boy out but there is no way yet!
grin.gif

least you didn't fall off!
grin.gif

LauraBR

Visit site
Yep, no falling off yay!

There were definite good sides to the day- really I only had him a month or so and it was the first time I had had him out anywhere. I now know he'll be no bother to take away, doesn't come out the lorry guns blazing etc and I also no I can manage him out galloping with 30-40 other horses so definate good points!

guisbrogal

community.webshots.com
Sounds like you did the right thing really jumping off....better to jump than to be pushed
grin.gif

I think all things considered he did very well. I don't think any of them like standing about after they have been having a blast. Sounds like you need to 'break' him in gently to it all will little and often. If you realise they are going to stand around maybe call it a day early.

As you say it is very early days yet and knowing you can manage him in a big group of horses like that is a real plus......if that was me and Ellie I would be in Hartlepool before I knew what had happened
grin.gif

RunToEarth

Visit site
Oh no, that sounds horrible. Bekka brought Bertie out today and he was a total git too, so I really feel for you, sounds a little like Oshka on the "slow" days (although slow days with us are not very slow!) Ah well, no falling off is big plus! xx

seabiscuit

Visit site
Sounds horrible, but if its any consolation, every single horse that I have ever had over the years, bar my two ex-racehorses (who would have believed it?!!) have been exactly the same as yours out hunting/cubbing. It simply was too much for them. But it did not detract from them being marvellous horses in every other respect.

severnmiles

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Oooh dear!
crazy.gif

Thats the problem with cubbing, there is quite a lot of "nothingness". Someone suggested i take my boy out but there is no way yet!
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

We he had a 3mile run (after a sock of course) over the mountain/moor last Saturday, you should come with us! Knacker them out abit.

Don't be put off Lzt, they are always worse the first few times and then they settle, you need to keep moving with youngsters/horses new to hunting, keep their minds occupied.

vicijp

www.vicijpricehorses.co.uk
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Oooh dear!
crazy.gif

grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

We he had a 3mile run (after a sock of course) over the mountain/moor last Saturday, you should come with us! Knacker them out abit.

Don't be put off Lzt, they are always worse the first few times and then they settle, you need to keep moving with youngsters/horses new to hunting, keep their minds occupied.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed! My mare was exactly the same last year, apparently loads had failed and tried to hunt her previously. She soon settled after hacking home in the dark a couple of times!
(finally caught mare yesterday BTW - still in foal!!)

4whitesocks

Visit site
Totally agree - don't be put off by the first time out together - maybe next time plan to only be out for say an hour, hour and half, rather than feel crap about stopping when he freaks a bit....see can you find someone in the same boat or with a young horse they're bringing on and get them to hack home with you, agree a time or that if one of you is having a tough time you both go - that way you don't have to get off to go home if you know what I mean....
(oh and I would have gotten off too at that stage!!)

pagancluf

Visit site
Well done - you did better than me on my first attempt - unloaded off the trailer - saw lots of other horses and pixxed off around the field with his red ribbon in his tail streaming in the air..... One lesson I have learn't - wear gloves next time so the blisters take longer to form!

Sooty

Visit site
More stirrup cup - they serve it for a reason!
grin.gif
It sounds to me as if you made totally the right decision. Horses do get incredibly excited out hunting, and I think anyone who goes is incredibly brave. I think I mean brave...
tongue.gif

LauraBR

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Horses do get incredibly excited out hunting, and I think anyone who goes is incredibly brave. I think I mean brave...
tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Lol!

Aw, thanks for all the supportive comments guys.

Forgot to mention too the other hair raising section of the hunt lol- as a bottleneck of horses was going through a gate from field to field a herd or cows randomly started charging at the horses! About 10 freaked completely (including mine- god he thinks cows are terrifying when they are innocently gazing in a field 20m away from him), 2 loose horses, total mayhem lol!

Come to think about it that happened about 5 mins before we came to a standstill so it may have contributed. Who knows!

LauraBR

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

We he had a 3mile run (after a sock of course) over the mountain/moor last Saturday, you should come with us!

[/ QUOTE ]

Who do you go with Severnmiles?

Was actually thinking of taking him to the beach for a REALLY good blast, might be just what he needs. He'll run out of steam before he runs out of sand.

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
Visit site
Was he good at the meet? Maybe get to one within hacking distance stay for an hour then come home and just build it up slowly so he gets the idea that its not the most exciting thing ever. Hope it works out ok!

icestationzebra

Visit site
lzt - Ice was exactly like this hunting - hated the waiting around and the last time I went we got stuck in a bottle neck on a narrow track and he just blew his mind. He was spinning around and trying to rear - something he NEVER did. Went drag hunting with him and he was the most fantastic horse ever - jumped everything and loved it. He hated the waiting around and the bunching up with the other horses.... worth trying dragging?

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
Sorry to hear it didn't go as planned - keep taking him!

Mine was a total nightmare the first time I took him (he'd been once or twice before I had him but that was all). There was no scent and he just got more and more annoyed at the standing around. Started off pawing the ground, moved on to full on rears. I ended up taking him home, met the Secretary on the way who had taken her old boy to the meet but not hunted. She told me to keep taking him and assured me he would settle.

So he went another few times that season and by the next season he was fab. He's now an absolute gentleman, Secretary came up to me on Boxing Day last year and just said "I told you to keep bringing him!".

So keep trying. Just do an hour each time and he might just settle. Good luck. I think it's just totally mind blowing for them (and us) the first time.

KatB

Visit site
Yep, G is EXACTLY the same. Hates standing around, rears and raers and flybucks. Blood hounding he loves, he still bucks but he enjoys it and isnt dangerous just enjoys it. Even my cob who was the most AMAZING hunter couldnt cope with queing, just something huntig does to them!! Still love it though, just need a saner horse to do it on!!
tongue.gif
grin.gif

Fiona

Visit site
Ben huffs sooo badly when there aren't enough jumps, he just gets stronger and stronger. On a good day when we are moving and jumping all the time he is a different horse.
I think most horses settle eventually though once they have been out a few times.
Hope you try again and have a better day!!
Fiona

LauraBR

Visit site
Not sure I have the bottle to take him again! Not for a while anyway, think I'll get him out more in different situations and get to know more about what sets him off first.

Might see if I can get fearless hunting friend to take him next time
blush.gif

kick_On

Visit site
sound prefectly horrible, but well done for sticking with it
I would suggest if your going to try again, that you hack to meet (i'll hack up 5/6 miles), with friend and make sure friend is senisable (sp) and use friend's gg that has calming influencent on your gg.
Don't stay out to long (is the key) and also at covers walk around friend and then kept asking to stop and settle and then if becomes unsettled kept moving. At gatway be positive about your position don't push but don't hang around and induce trouble.
Sounds like he has been hunted and didn't settle as normally first time out there not as badly behaved, and normally get worst if they can't take it - sorry
So if you want to go for season you'll have to take it slowly, ie out for short time about an hour max and slowly increase time but go with calm friend to 'hold your hand'

hope you recovery soon