So we tried a hackamore....

FoxTrotx

Visit site
My mare is incredibly fussy in the mouth (something that has been checked and we have come to the conclusion that she may have some old psychological trauma as no physical reason can be found). She had actually got a lot better at home but I took her to a small show and appear to have gone back to square one :rolleyes:

So today we tried an english hackamore. She was immediatley confused as to why there was nothing in her mouth and actually seemed to be searching for a bit (opening her mouth and chewing alot). Once she relaxed I took her for a potter around the field to get the feel of it. I was quite pleased that she accepted it straight away and worked nicely in the same sort of outline she does with a bit.

Then she spooked at a bag in a bush. Miraculously I stayed on the leapy spin she did but she realised at this point that she had more control than usual :eek: This led to a rather impressive rodeo which resulted in me being launched into orbit (landed on my feet then fell on my backside :D). Got back on, did some walk, canter, walk to get her attention back.

By that point I'd clearly lost it as I decided to see if she'd jump in it (something we've been working on getting more consistant at). Well she was absolutley superb! It seemed that instead of concentrating on trying to spit her bit out she really 'locked on' to every jump.

So maybe hackamore for jumping...but not for open spaces ;)

JellyBeanSkittle

Visit site
Hehe :) When i had to ride my mare in one as she had a tooth out - she went round the school in a beautiful outline and felt like she was floating, really listening etc.. til my friend pointed out she had her tongue sticking out :D Almost as if she was really concentrating and confused to where the bit was!

Oberon

Visit site
I think you'll find a hackamore is stronger than most bits out there.

Of all the bitless bridles and bits I've tried with The Tank - it was a hackamore that freaked him out :p

The idea that a bit will give us full control at all times is a myth....our safety is entirely dependant on the horse's will
lol.gif