So what height is it?!

TGM

Visit site
Don't think you are reading it wrong at all! I think they are hedging their bets and trying to appeal to those who want a 14.2 AND those who want a 15 hander! By full up 14.2 I presume they mean it is nearly 15hh but if you pared its feet to nothing, sedated it and dehydrated it then you might find a vet to get it to measure in as a 14.2!

Puppy

Visit site
And another one of variable height....

http://www.horsemart.co.uk/AdvertRef/HM6...HorseDetail.asp

[ QUOTE ]
Approx 15.1hh or less for showing

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF?!?!?!
confused.gif

Puppy

Visit site
She is lovely isn't she, very much what I am looking for, but unfortunately a bit smaller than I want.

FMM

www.absolutelymad.co.uk
TGM is right I think. Basically, showing people see a different size for 15hh than non showing people! I have seen countless cobs in the past few months all o fwhich are meant to be 15.1 and have ranged from 14.2 to 15.2. Sometimes a horse "fills the eye" but is not as big as it looks. Anyway - I think this ad is saying the horse measures 14.2, but looks 15hh

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
You're not confused about it's height. Someone will buy it at 15h & then work on it, & get a vet in who will give it a life height certificate of 14h2" (147cm) and the new owners will cheat their way around the circuits as many others have before them. It's about time this was all stamped out. There are moves afoot to stop this practice but it will take along time.

There was an article in H&H a few weeks ago about these cheats, but from the article the cheating appears to go right to the top of the sport.

A pony is either 14h2" or it isn't, a full up 14h2" is still 14h2". How can a 15h horse become a 14h2" pony
confused.gif
. If we let this go suddenly we will allow a 15h2" horse to be a 14h2" pony & so on. There will be loads of posts about this, we've had these discussions before & they will happen again. Basically it's cheating & it appears to be sanctioned right at the top of the sport.
frown.gif
mad.gif

FMM

www.absolutelymad.co.uk
Umm - unless you have gone to measure this horse, you can't really say that the new owners are cheating. It may LOOK 15hh, but may easily measure 14.2. Without seeing the horse it is impossible to say. It may well be an overheight horse, but it is not really fair to make comments about the potential new owners.

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
When you advertise a horse you say what height it is at i.e. 15h. They why then say a full up 14h2"...it's either 15h or 14h2". You see these adverts all the time.
mad.gif

FMM

www.absolutelymad.co.uk
When I go to see a potential show cob, I like to know if the horse "looks" about 15hh or IS 15hh. Big difference. I can understand why this ad may be worded that way. Some people who are looking for a horse for riding club activities may nto consider anything under 15hh for example. When I was doing riding club stuff I didn't have a stick and guessed heights of horses. I knew that 14.2 was too small and indeed SOME 14.2 are far too small for me. However, some are OK. Anyway - even if the horse had a LHC you would not be happy as you would still say they were cheating, so a no win situation for some perhaps?

Bit garbled, but I know what I mean.