so when it is ever safe to turn out with laminitis ?!

JLD

Visit site
Ok. My Pony developed laminitis despite strict weight/feed/grazing management in the summer after a skin infection led to lymphangitis. Gradually he was reintroduced to limited grazing over late summer. Doing well now yarded overnight with free access to stable out during day once frost melted. Has soaked hay with oats straw chaff to nibble at. Now vet says very high risk if turnout on ANY cold sunny day regardless of frost. I can't make an all weather turnout. He has a little yard prob 40' x 15' to potter in when not turned out but this isn't much and I am beginning to wonder what sort of quality of life we are heading for ( not considering pts before anyone wonders ) . He is only 11 but not ridden , I do a bit of in hand work/walking out etc but can't do anymore due to work/time commitment. I took him in after previous owner was unable to sell/loan/give away and love him dearly - I just want to do right by him . I know my set up isn't perfect but don't think 'suitable' homes with more time are exactly begging for him !

tubby1

Visit site
My wee laminitic prone cushings pony is turned out everyday wether permitting . If it's frosty he goes out with hay ( he is very greedy & doesn't lift his head till it is finished ) . It's a difficult balance between keeping them well & good quality of life. It's my belief horses need reasonable time out to be happy .

JLD

Visit site
We have tried 4 different muzzles with and without sheep skin padding the most he can manage is 4 hours before rubbing him raw. Also he gets them off whatever I do with them !

Yertis

Visit site
lol !! familiar with that problem, best one I found was Dinky Muzzles and an additional neck strap, but if not possible how about electric taping a track with some hay piles.

Montyforever

Visit site
My mare goes out rain/shine/frost for at least a couple of hours and all day over summer (when exercised/muzzled) you have to find ways to give them a good quality of life, i walk her inhand for miles, lunge etc and she keeps ad fit as any ridden horse. Difficult when on limited time admittedly but its just something i have to do, i wouldn't leave the mucking out because i didn't have time etc

Track systems/grazing muzzles are all helpful but you can't beat good old fashioned exercise!

Slightlyconfused

Go away, I'm reading
Visit site
My boy has duvet days when the frost is set to stay longer than four hours.
Other than.that he gets turned out midmorning by yard owner.

If its snow he is in until it goes and shoes come off so we can go riding.

Summer out at night and in during the day.

Its case of treasure what you have with them but if they are unhappy with the routine then change to suit. Rather them happy and a sort life to unhappy and longer.

JLD

Visit site
Thanks all, it's good to hear other experiences - you can get a bit introspective if not on a yard. However on the plus side I can have him on track over spring/summer which I do as its my field, muzzle and feed him only what he needs without being called 'cruel' ! I know I need to find a way to exercise him more. Trouble is I have toddler twins and no one to help me with them or pony. Come spring they go to pre school so pony boot camp beckons !

Notimetoride

Visit site
I havent read all the other responses, but heres my experience . .
I had a horse (15.3 warmblood) with chronic laminitis. It was an ongoing battle with him and if I took my eye off the ball for a minute he would come down with laminitis. I had many years of it (saldy no longer with me but not because of the laminitis).
After a GREAT amount of help and advice from vets, I got it about right eventually. I found that keeping him in only exacerbated the problem, and he simply wouldnt come sound on box rest. Its really really important to keep a good blood supply to the feet (acute cases are often prescribed ACP which increases blood supply to the feet, but this isnt effective for chronic cases). So even when he was he was having a bout of laminitis, he would be turned out on a very well grazed paddock, as large as possible. I would put lots of small piles of hay all over the paddock. If there was grass to nibble he would wear a muzzle. He was also on a good quality laminitis supplement almost all year round.
By doing this I almost managed to keep on top of it, though sometimes I would let it slip and sure as eggs is eggs, he would go down with it. We always managed to sort it out pretty quickly though :)
PS - meant to say, I also tried to keep him lean ish as best I could. Not always easy but was always very mindful of his weight
PPS - I never over rugged him - most of the time in winter he had a lightweight rain sheet, and in the coldest weather would have a medium weight rug. Never put a heavyweight rug on him. Some people thought I was mean, but I didnt care as I knew it was a good way to keep his weight down. He was absolutely never a hat rack, and was never freezing as i kept a very close eye on him, but if you looked closely from a certain angle you could usually just see his ribs

Last edited:

PeterNatt

s68.photobucket.com
It is important to try and determine what is causing your horses laminitis.
Has your horse been tested for Cushing's Disease or Equine Metabolic Syndrome (EMS)?
Has your horse had a blood test to check out if he has any emerging encysted small round worms?

Crugeran Celt

Visit site
My mare lives out 24/7 with grazing restricted in the spring and autumn but since not stabling her she has not had a laminitic attack. I know it's a very unconventional approach but it works for her.

JLD

Visit site
Hello. Yes he has been EMS and cushings tested and vet did other bloods too - will check re the worm thing. All tests were negative although vet basically said he's a native pony that gets fat - he has mild EMS as a given and we have managed him as if the EMS was positive anyway ! I turned him out in the sun today even though it was cold. I'm not shutting him in for ever. I have upped his forage and taken his rugs off. Thank you all for your advice. Anymore advice or experiences greatly valued.