So who goes bloodhounding ?

Debsflo1

Visit site
After uming and ahing for the last 2 years I summoned up the courage last week to take my mare to hound exercise with the local bloodhounds.
she was good so went on a faster hound exercise yesterday and we both loved it.
never done anything like this before, I don't jump so we need practice waiting for the jumpers to go ahead but I'm pleasantly surprised at how much fun it is.
don't have the nerve to join the proper hunt as heard its fast but you never know.
who goes ?

Debsflo1

Visit site
D
Me, love it! Neither me nor my horse are jumpers either but we have a go at the small stuff. Such fun ?
Do they have you separating out...then meeting up or do you just let jumpers go first.
My mare likes to be up front so needs some patience with this

Hackback

Visit site
D

Do they have you separating out...then meeting up or do you just let jumpers go first.
Most times the jumps are optional and you can go round if you don't fancy, but must not obstruct the jumpers, so that may mean letting them go first if the way round is right next to the jump.

The only time I definitely don't go in the jumping field is when it's a 'hedge hopping' day. Then I stay in the second field and watch in awe from a safe distance ?

Hope you and your eager mare have lots of fun!

tiga71

Visit site
I used to with my old boy Izzy. He is 23 so haven't been for a couple of years as too hard on him now. Though he still loves hunt rides and hound exercise.

We both loved it. He was an awesome hunter. We never did the biggest hedges as I am a wimp but jumped the other stuff. Sometimes there is a way round and sometimes there are two masters, one for jumpers and one for non jumpers. You just follow the one you want.

I would love to go again but my other two horses wouldn't cope with the excitement.

Go for it.

Last edited:

irishdraft

Visit site
Which pack are you going with OP ? I've been a subscriber to the Coakham bloodhounds for about 20 years and had some of the best riding days of my life . To go out once the proper meets get going you do need to be confident to canter over all terrain in a group & jump about 90 post & rail . Hedge days generally have a way round but if you cannot jump a boundary fence you'll get left behind . We do put on non jumping days & sometimes will have a non jumping master but essentially we are a jumping pack but not all are so depends where you are .

Reactions: TGM

Debsflo1

Visit site
Which pack are you going with OP ? I've been a subscriber to the Coakham bloodhounds for about 20 years and had some of the best riding days of my life . To go out once the proper meets get going you do need to be confident to canter over all terrain in a group & jump about 90 post & rail . Hedge days generally have a way round but if you cannot jump a boundary fence you'll get left behind . We do put on non jumping days & sometimes will have a non jumping master but essentially we are a jumping pack but not all are so depends where you are .
It's the Cranwell bloodhounds.
Tbh never thought my mare would cope or I would brave it but she's fine to canter in a group.
We had 2 fieldmasters and think I'll stick to non jumping for now but I am getting the bug I think

Boulty

Visit site
I used to with the Welsh one & we weren't big jumpers. We'd pop small things up to about 80cm & didn't mind jumping the odd ditch either but definitely not hedges / walls or any of that sort of stuff (my brave pants weren't that big!). Tbf the pack we went with it tended to mainly be hunt jumps that they'd erected the day before (although they did have a small XC course also) & you could always go around. They did tend to have a non jumping master & their meets in the forestry were generally non jumping as well. Some of the best fun I've had on a horse

Millie-Rose

Visit site
It's the Cranwell bloodhounds.
Tbh never thought my mare would cope or I would brave it but she's fine to canter in a group.
We had 2 fieldmasters and think I'll stick to non jumping for now but I am getting the bug I think
You'll be fine with Cranwell, they have a jumping and non jumping master and you just follow the relevant one. You might have to jump a tiny log here and there (step over size) as there are some about to block vehicle access to tracks but that would be it. I mix and match what I jump, I do the small and mid sized stuff but not the biggest and tend to not jump on the last line of the day as we're both getting tired by then. I've been out with them with some very non jumping riders and horses from my yard and have all been fine.

Millie-Rose

Visit site
D

Mostly separating out and meeting up or fences round edge of field so you can just go past them if you don't want to jump. You need to queue to jump but shouldn't need to queue to not jump.