So who is it who has a BOSS horsebox?

Angelbones

Visit site
I've been searching back through old threads to see who has a BOSS horsebox, but no luck. I've even messaged one suspect only to find I had it all wrong :(

I'm off to YHL at Stoneleigh this Sunday to meet the BOSS chap and to see his lorry as I'm finally in a position to go ahead and order one and he has found an automatic chassis for me.

So just wondered if anyone on here has one and what their review would be / what they would change / would order differently if starting again.

Also, any suggestions of things I should be asking about / looking at in particular when at this stage of choosing / specifying a lorry?

Many thanks everybody - I am SO excited :D

ROMANY 1959

Visit site
I have one, I had the first one from production line, the dark blue one , if you see Clive say chris from flint says hi!!!
I had few niggles with it, but they allways sorted it free of charge, cos it was the prototype one, I expected them to find few things that could be done better, they changed the flooring for me, and the new one is fab, horses hardly Mark it at all. I wish I had had reversing sensors tho, cos I've bumped bumper twice and Clive fixed it for me!!!! But it drives like a large car, horses travel so well in it, even one who was a brat to load, only gives my lorry a quick look and will walk in!
I will see if I can find a photo .

ROMANY 1959

Visit site
This is mine..
a2f081bf6a17da24c9f0aca5f8ce93a2.jpg

Dreckly

Visit site
I have one as well, but the opposite to Romany as I had mine in January of this year. Absolutely wonderful box and a lovely company to deal with. Do make an appointment to visit the factory and chat properly they have a wealth of knowledge.

I have the XL model with the 5 seat cab. Drives brilliantly horses travel well. Also have the full length door which I think is essential to get in horse area, and also a full set of lockers which are brilliant. Tack locker is fantastic, when I go for lessons I put everything in their, boots hat the lot and don't have to bother using the living.

The only think I would add would be the head board to separate when travelling 2. Although I normally travel just my boy I have on occasion had a friends pony too and they really can get close unless tied really short. The other thing I love is that the ramp is really strong, there is nothing I have seen to compare with it.

The service I received was fantastic, my box was ordered and with me in 4 weeks, 2 weeks ahead of schedule. Clive drove it down to Essex for me. I chose the mini ice blue colour with cream graphics which is just fab and my little lorry is admired whereever it goes!!

Angelbones

Visit site
Wow, thank you for your quick replies! I can't get up to the factory as just too far from the south coast where I am, hence Stoneleigh this Sunday.

I was wondering about the two different options for in front of the horses, separating from the living area. Which do you think works best? Also the ramp on the right hand side - I prefer this as have to park on tight verges when hunting - does it suit you? It means if you travel one horse you have to load them on the outer stall, do you find they can get in and turn themselves easily enough?

The chassis he has found is the shorter one so would have 3 seats - I'd prefer the bench option behind really but hey ho. Which do you have? Do either of you have the fold down bed?

Oh it's so hard to make the decisions without having seen on the flesh! Defo the parking sensors!

I'm considering having it uprated to 3.9t too, which they can do.

If you have any pics of your living area I'd love to see them.

Thank you :)

Carefreegirl

Visit site
Parked next to one of these at little Downham last month. It was gorgeous. Woman said I was welcome to have a look around and she was really pleased with it. I just drooled at it until she gave me scary look :biggrin3:

She also rated the customer service very highly.

ROMANY 1959

Visit site
I have 1.3 ton payload. I like the ramp behind driver. And if I take big lad on his own, he is 17 h 600 kg he goes on side right behind driver. I have not used the cooking or sink in the grooms area!!! But I've been advised its good to heat a pan up or boil kettle. We have the 5 seat cab. With tack locker and two other lockers, one I use for hay and buckets and the other I carry two water containers, cos we do Polocrosse tournaments in summer with two TB mares. Who combined weigh about 900kg. So with me and a passenger and most of the kit we have been weighed and are under the limit. I am also going to have a tow bar fitted to tow my small caravan next season as I've done with camping at tournaments!!! Only thing I plan to change this winter is put tyres on with more grip cos I take big lad hunting and have been getting stuck on fields!! So winter tyres going on. Not got pics of interior but sure paul at boss will send you some

Dreckly

Visit site
Horses have plenty of room to turn when coming out or in, available space is very generous. Also if travelling 1 horse you can easily move the partition to give more room.

I have the full length door into living with the locker space either side which you walk through, really like this set up. The outside locker space is what makes this lorry brilliant. Huge tack space, drivers side, and 2 others on off side, one for services (horse shower, gas bottle etc), one for hay and water etc. This works really well leaving the living space for clean stuff. Again, not had cause yet to use the hob or sink.

I do have the bed option on the bench seat but have not had to use it yet.

cambrica

Visit site
Parked next to one of these at little Downham last month. It was gorgeous. Woman said I was welcome to have a look around and she was really pleased with it. I just drooled at it until she gave me scary look :biggrin3:

She also rated the customer service very highly.

LOL - images in my head of you licking the side of some lady's horsebox ;)
Romany, that is a beautiful box! (Scuttles off to phone the mortgage company!)

Prince33Sp4rkle

Visit site
We looked at these....the grp is so thin( so as to save weight) that I can bend it with my weight!!( all 8 stone of me) I dread to think what damage a panicking horse could do, or god forbid a RTA.

Prince33Sp4rkle

Visit site
The lightweight panels they use for the body and roof. Not lined to save on weight bu about as strong as an egg box in the event of a crash.
Our box has aluminium lined floor and walls and an insulated roof. The payload is one horse only which is fine, that's what we wanted.

Nugget La Poneh

Visit site
The lightweight panels they use for the body and roof. Not lined to save on weight bu about as strong as an egg box in the event of a crash.
Our box has aluminium lined floor and walls and an insulated roof. The payload is one horse only which is fine, that's what we wanted.
Not sure they would be too happy with that statement - they are made with aluminium and honeycomb panelling NOT grp. No need to line because of the type of panelling and arguably semi-insulated because of the structure.

I have hired a Boss box and was really impressed, especially for the price. I am Well Jel OP :D

honetpot

Visit site
I had a pony delivered in one, and I was not very impressed. The pony had not travelled well and a the transporter was in a right stress an when it arrived I understood why. Lots of thing for an animal to get caught on or stuck and the interior looked lovely and shiny but not built to last.
I looked at buying a 3.5tonne a few years back and visited a few manufacturers, some of the build quality was appalling and they seemed to think they were selling fitted kitchens. I hire Theault boxes, some of which have been out on hire to racehorse trainers so have done a lot more work than most boxes and the build quality is excellent and there is very little to damage or be damaged by. The breach bars are also not fixed so if there is a problem they can be dismantled.

Prince33Sp4rkle

Visit site
Not sure they would be too happy with that statement - they are made with aluminium and honeycomb panelling NOT grp. No need to line because of the type of panelling and arguably semi-insulated because of the structure.

I have hired a Boss box and was really impressed, especially for the price. I am Well Jel OP :D

Interesting because the very reason we were put off was the lack of aluminium! So perhaps they have changed recently?

Julia0803

Visit site
I hired one last week.

I have to say i didn't like the floor. It looked like it had been put down as liquid rubber flooring. but was now coming off in chunks in places!

This may have been due to being a hire box- extra wear and tear etc. I have driven a friend's equitrek and preferred that I have to say.

Laafet

adventuresinblackandwhite.co.uk
I hired one last week.

I have to say i didn't like the floor. It looked like it had been put down as liquid rubber flooring. but was now coming off in chunks in places!

This may have been due to being a hire box- extra wear and tear etc. I have driven a friend's equitrek and preferred that I have to say.

The Equitrek is far flimsier IMO, I have one at work on a 60 plate and it is already falling to bits despite being cared for, with the paint flaking off around the wheel arches etc.

Julia0803

Visit site
Maybe i got a friday afternoon boss one then! ;)

Certainly i have nothing but positive things to say about the equitrek. It's an 11 plate, single owner and has been carefully looked after tho, which obviously is not the case with a hire box. I don't think she has had any problems with it.

Hen

Visit site
Love my BOSS, had it 3 years now so probably got mine only just shortly after Romany 1595's - I do 10-12,000 miles a year in it and I probably sleep in it about 60 nights a year, every horse I've travelled in it is happy as larry. Lots of light and air, everything easy to access and no traps. It'll be in for a bit of an update this winter as I have the older style flooring too which is ripe for replacement but it's held up well to lots of use and I can only say positive things about both the build and the service from BOSS. Mine's got a 1.16 payload as it has lots of extras but I have to say I have yet to boil a kettle or anything in it so maybe I didn't need the hob stuff etc!!