So why are horses wearing rugs already?

SEL

Visit site
I shoved a rainsheet on my Ardennes on Monday - it was tipping it down and he was tucked up, cold and miserable. Feels like we went from 30 degrees and blistering heat to Autumn chill in the space of 24 hours.

Lovethebeach

Visit site
Well I must be a terrible person - my coloured cob, unclipped, has lived in a no fill breathable rug all summer and isn't even working or needs to keep clean !! She wears this because she gets hives if bitten on her body but trashes fly rugs within hours of having them put on, have tried all sorts, Rambo lasted into the evening of 1st day using and that was the best performer. Of the other 5 one wears a Rambo fly rug and face mask as is black and suffers with the flies and another wears face mask only as hates flies near his ears, rest are naked. Before you judge people realise there are many different reasons for what people do and most are doing the best they can for their individual horses needs.

Tihamandturkey

Visit site
I hate seeing over rugging but I wouldn't judge anyone for turning out in a lightweight on the cool evenings we've been having lately or in torrential rain or popping on a stable sheet to keep a bathed horse clean overnight.

Last edited:

Nudibranch

Visit site
I have heard people say your second comment about the rugs flattening the coat and keeping the horse colder before, but from my personal experience I haven't found this. Whether its because neither of my horses (or previous horses) are hugely fluffy so the effect is different I don't know. But a lightweight on my two in cold and wet weather definitely keeps them warmer, and visibly happier. Although it is an often quoted thing, I don't think its the case for all horses and therefore I think its misleading.

I agree. I think it's a bit of urban (rural?) myth. In really harsh weather - wind and rain together - I put a no fill or 100g on even the natives. The Fell in particular gets quite shivery despite the fact she's, well, a Fell pony. She's warmer with a rug in bad weather, not without. They're all different.

nikkimariet

Visit site
Probably because the owner decided it was required?... Who cares if the horse is fine?

I wore a jumper to work the other week. My colleague was in shorts and a camisole. What's new.

MagicMelon

Visit site
Ive put on a rain sheet (no fill) some nights on one of mine over the past couple of weeks as its got chillier here at night (I need a sweatshirt definately). He's a veteran who struggles to hold weight and shivers at the sight of even drizzle! However, my competition mare who is "normal" hasnt had a turnout rug near her for months.

Kikke

Visit site
We have a couple at the yard like that......... Makes me want to scream. One of them if off to Hoys and I think they are trying to make sure the winter coat stays away. Still it is just cruel in my eyes!!

Sophire

Visit site
Because the owner thought they needed it?

Whilst not every day, my thin-skinned TB has been out in a no-fill rain sheet multiple times in the last few weeks. Whilst ordinarily she wouldn't have maybe, going from 34 down to 18/19 and raining is a big difference. I know when she comes in looking tucked-up, hair on end and generally a bit dull that it's due to her being cold, why would I not help her out a little? She's never come in sweating or uncomfortable.

Goldenstar

Visit site
I agree. I think it's a bit of urban (rural?) myth. In really harsh weather - wind and rain together - I put a no fill or 100g on even the natives. The Fell in particular gets quite shivery despite the fact she's, well, a Fell pony. She's warmer with a rug in bad weather, not without. They're all different.

I have never seen a horse colder because it was in a no fill rug it’s a myth .

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I always wonder if that was the case when rugs used to be much heavier than the modern fabrics we have these days.

I can't quite believe we are already on an over rugging thread in August though :D.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I can't quite believe we are already on an over rugging thread in August though :D.

be time to put the xmas sprouts on soon tho :wink3:

Physio told my friend to rug her horse to help keep his back soft as the nights are getting colder.
My welsh has been shivering in the rain recently, she thinks she's in danger of dissolving.
Whereas WB is fat and very much more waterproof.
Horses for courses :)

milliepops

Visit site
I just got told the night temps for next weekend, hot water bottles ahoy :p

I can't wait to get the winter duvet out, I hate the flimsy summer thing, like sleeping under a doily. but apparently I "radiate" and so it's banned until later in the year :D

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
I've got my chopping board ready for the sprout prep....

I love Autumn, in my ideal world it would always be September

albeg

Visit site
be time to put the xmas sprouts on soon tho :wink3:

Physio told my friend to rug her horse to help keep his back soft as the nights are getting colder.
My welsh has been shivering in the rain recently, she thinks she's in danger of dissolving.
Whereas WB is fat and very much more waterproof.
Horses for courses :)

I've got my chopping board ready for the sprout prep....

I love Autumn, in my ideal world it would always be September

Oh no MP, DD, did nobody tell you? There may be sprout shortages...

https://www.independent.ie/business...rn-of-possible-sprout-shortages-37223358.html

To keep it on topic, I rug to keep clean if I'm going competing, horse is grey, takes several hours to wash and dry. But he's rugged appropriately for the weather, in summer he wears a rambo hoody, with a liner if it's going to rain. He had a rain sheet on a few weeks back for a few days as he'd been washed and it was due to rain quite a lot, so I didn't want him getting cold. He'll be clipped soon as grows a very thick coat and struggles with his workload if he's not clipped. He'll be in a lightweight for as long as possible, or his rambo hoody if the sunny weather returns. A few others on the yard have had rain sheets on for the more miserable days, they feel the cold and get sore/stiff if not kept warm.

If you're worried it's affecting the welfare of the horse, maybe bring it up with the yard owner...

milliepops

Visit site
Oh drat. I'd better forgo the Christmas Sprout so that other more needy folk can have an extra one. <not sad>

Mrs B

Visit site
Oh drat. I'd better forgo the Christmas Sprout so that other more needy folk can have an extra one. <not sad>

Don't worry, mp, you can have some of mine. I always pop them on to boil on 22nd June as the nights start drawing in, so they should be just lovely by December ...

albeg

Visit site
Don't worry, mp, you can have some of mine. I always pop them on to boil on 22nd June as the nights start drawing in, so they should be just lovely by December ...

You'd want to be careful advertising that you have sprouts, you'll have riots outside the door come December...:D