So you think it's safer to canter up hill??!

nuttychestnut

Visit site
Today I had a very fresh horse out hacking so did a lot of trotting and planned the first canter up a nice hill as I have alway been told this takes out the skip in their step. Oh how wrong was I, within the first 3 strides I was on the floor.
2nd canter was uneventful, however on the 3rd canter I came off again!
No empthy needed, just wanted to share that cantering up hill isn't always safe!

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Today I had a very fresh horse out hacking so did a lot of trotting and planned the first canter up a nice hill as I have alway been told this takes out the skip in their step. Oh how wrong was I, within the first 3 strides I was on the floor.
2nd canter was uneventful, however on the 3rd canter I came off again!
No empthy needed, just wanted to share that cantering up hill isn't always safe!

Ouchie, hope your ok and not to bruised. I prefer galloping and cantering up him to down especially on a hunt where you just follow the flow.

Sounds like he just feeling good or maybe lower the protein or lunge him a bit before the hack. We have a livery here who has to lunge her horse prior to hacking for this very reason.

Exploding Chestnuts

Visit site
Don't hold them back with tight reins, just slip into the canter and allow to proceed. Keep leathers long and use a neckstrap. Plenty of work and fresh air is good for both horse and rider.

Last edited:

nuttychestnut

Visit site
I'm fine, maybe a little sore but certainly less sore than I think I should be, he is 17.2hh after all. Bonkers2 I think you are right, I think I had my reins to short but can't remember if I was holding the neck strap or not. Hopefully he'll see cantering out hacking as nothing soon!

Kallibear

Visit site
Ouch.

I can very much sympathise!!

The only time I've come off Roo was cantering up a nearly vertical hill. His first time galloping in stubble, his supposedly-sensible companion took off at a halt to flat out gallop, poor Roo tried to get himself going, tied his legs in knots, panicked and bronced until I came off.

If it helps, he's never done it again!

pansymouse

Visit site
It wasn't the cantering up hill that got me but the emergency stop at the top - she did, I didn't - landed on my arse in a muddy puddle and banged my head. So concussed I could only get home by leaning on my horse and walking like a drunk :(

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
I remember being knocked out cold after being bucked off galloping up a hill. My mare had gone a 1/4 mile and I was stood up jockey style when she suddenly launched into a load of massive bucks. I landed on my head and was unconscious for 20 minutes according to my friend who I was with.

nuttychestnut

Visit site
Ouchie wagtail and pansy, sounds like I got off very lightly.
Going to take him out again next weekend, I'm going to some much open field cantering that it gets boring.

Meems

Visit site
Well in theory gravity (is that the right word?) should be in your favour, as they shouldn't be able to get their back up as high as if they were on the flat or going downhill. Or am I talking complete rubbish?? I've always thought cantering uphill was the safer option. I NEVER canter downhill.

dominobrown

Visit site
Doesn't where you canter, its seems they are all feeling 'springy' at the moment, time of year and fresh horses!!
Got decked the other day cantering an old event horse which a bit 'fresh' after spending a winter hunting and pointing maidens and backing yearlings for racing without falling off once, typical!

nuttychestnut

Visit site
At least I'm not the only one! Hopefully this is him at his worst, at least this time he's leaping due to joy not pain :)

Midlifecrisis

Visit site
I think cantering up hill can more controllable with bucking/exuberant ponios but with daughters gelding I tend to sit deep rather than take a forward seat as he likes throwing bucks in and I don't like tipping out the side door!