So you're out on a hack and horse throws a shoe...

PucciNPoni

Visit site
If you're out on a hack, and you still have maybe a mile to go before going home. It's a front shoe and your horse can be a bit footy when barefoot.

What do you do? Do you?
  • hop off and walk the rest of the way home
  • continue on riding, using care to keep foot on softer going
  • walk til you get to a main road and then ride (cos it's safer)
Or something else entirely?

lara b

Visit site
I would stay on board but ride on verges etc where possible. It has happened to me about 5miles from home many years ago and just kept to soft ground where possible, mare was fine, but quite a tough girl anyway x

PucciNPoni

Visit site
I prefer to lead home if possible. I did that today til I got to the main road and it was a bit of a quandry whether or not we'd be safer if I was on board on the road, or just carry on leading. In the end, I decided that I would rather risk the chance of a temporary lameness over the risk of a permanent dead -- I just feel safer on board on the road. Am I crazy ? wait...don't answer that! :eek:

monkeybum13

Visit site
I prefer to lead home if possible. I did that today til I got to the main road and it was a bit of a quandry whether or not we'd be safer if I was on board on the road, or just carry on leading. In the end, I decided that I would rather risk the chance of a temporary lameness over the risk of a permanent dead -- I just feel safer on board on the road. Am I crazy ? wait...don't answer that! :eek:

I think that sounds like a sensible decision in your situation :)

Pedantic

Visit site

Mine twisted a shoe and was limping on it, so I had to get off and lead, I was very unimpressed by the traffic passing me too close, legally as a pedestrian I have right of way, as I put myself between him and the traffic, yes maybe I shouldn't have, but I do love him to bits, but yes I feel safer riding on board if possible.

PucciNPoni

Visit site
Mine twisted a shoe and was limping on it, so I had to get off and lead, I was very unimpressed by the traffic passing me too close, legally as a pedestrian I have right of way, as I put myself between him and the traffic, yes maybe I shouldn't have, but I do love him to bits, but yes I feel safer riding on board if possible.

Funny that - that was my thought as I was contemplating walking on the road - that if I did, I'd put him on the hedge side and I'd take the road (easier to control the quarters from swinging out to traffic this way, I suppose). I'd walk the dogs the same way though.

brown tack

Visit site
Depends on the horse, I'd always get off and check.
One of horses was fine, in fact I was rather silly not to have her barefoot really, but that was the days before it seem normal. I grew up in the work horse is shod world. So with her if ok I'd ride back.

Another one I had, I'd of had to call a friend to pick us up in the horse box, he was really footy. silly sentive tb :eek:

Tammytoo

Visit site
Given the choice I would lead home, but if it was safer to be on board then I would get on and try and keep on the grass verge. At the end of the day, a sore foot is probably preferable to a dead body!

Last edited:

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
So it was just a mile from home; and you had a little way on a challenging road ....... hmmm, think I'd hop off initially to see what had happened to the foot, and then ideally lead home BUT if there's any doubt about safety then you've got to do the thing that feels the safest at the time.

If more than a mile, deffo get off and walk, but don't think a mile would have done any harm?

Mince Pie

Visit site
Would no-one else pick up the shoe? :D LOL

I have never been in this situation as all of mine were barefoot until I got Millie and I've barely ridden her :rolleyes:

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
I would stay on, safer IMO. I would ride on verges or softer ground. If I wasnt that far from Home there are a few fields belonging to my farmer that I know I cn cut through, nice soft stubbles or the edges of fields :)

Alphamare

Visit site
Get off and get the shoe for a start!

Also i wouldnt carry on with the ride, what many seem to forget is that the more you carry on the more the foot will wear. then you will be left with a hoof smaller than the other and of course this will potentially lead to further shoe loss (more metal sticking out)

As for riding or walking home, if safe i would rather walk.

Even though my OH is a farrier our horses are bare hooved. Its just easier :)

pinkypug1

Visit site
When its happened to me in the past ive rung my OH and he's brought the trailer to collect us... hes such a well trained boy lol

starryeyed

Visit site
Depends on the horse - the one it's happened with was quite a way from home but there was no one about to pick me up in the horsebox so i just led him back along the verges and through fields - nice relaxing sunday!
If it was my loan horse, depending how far we were, i'd ride her back along verges/through fields because i'm a lot safer on her than off (she doesn't like to hang about and probably wouldn't fancy a potter home!), but if we weren't close i'd ring for someone to come and rescue us haha

luckily no main roads near us!

Merry Crisis

Visit site
I would get off the horse and carry it back, in my arms. For goodness sake what has happened to the world! Horses used to pull shoes off hunting in the plough, we would carry on or hack back to the box. No issue, their feet are not made of soap. Get a grip all of you!:eek:

MissSBird

Visit site
Depends.

If you're confident in your horse's behaviour I would go for dismount and walk home. But, if you feel that you may struggle for control, say on a busy road, you and your horse would probably be safer with you onboard, doing your best to keep to soft ground.

MissSBird

Visit site
I would get off the horse and carry it back, in my arms. For goodness sake what has happened to the world! Horses used to pull shoes off hunting in the plough, we would carry on or hack back to the box. No issue, their feet are not made of soap. Get a grip all of you!:eek:

In all fairness, the OP does state that the horse is footy, suggesting that it would probably be prone to sole bruising without shoes.