So...

Skhosu

Visit site
With regards to quite a few recent fitteniing posts.Sisters pony is coming back into work after 6 weeks off with abcess. Vet eventually had to dig out where it had turned into a pressure sore?
confused.gif

so, anyway. He has been on pretty much 6 weeks near total box rest. A few afternoons out a week but that's it. I reckon he'll need a good bit of fittening work, plus he's only to be ridden for two weeks to see what happens (has hole in foot, dug out by vet who said do anything with him, put shoes on and see what he's like in 2 weeks. Working him is a must, but pref. on a soft surface)
I reckon it's going to be walk, with maybe a little trot at end of week 2? If that much?
How long to get him to small showjumping classes fitness?

kayleigh_and_rocky

www.kayleigh-nicholls.piczo.com
I'd say another 6weeks til full showjumping fitness, it could be less but as you know i was posed with the same questions, and even im slowing down again
Much more important to get the correct fitness and training before doing competitions i think.
Correct me if im wrong thouhg.

Weezy

Visit site
I would walk only - there is a rule that for every week off then you do a week's walk work - however that isnt a holdfast rule and it depends how fit the horse was before the lay off - I personally wouldnt do anything but walk for 2 weeks after a 6 week lay off tho regardless of the above

Skhosu

Visit site
I was thinking lots of walk work, but have to say I'm not entirely sure about walking for 6weeks, 2 weeks would be my thought definitely. Then I thought about 6-8 weeks too for SJ fitness.
He was eventing fit and has lost quite a bit of muscle (understandably).
Something that gets me though, why no trot? I understand a lot of it, but a short trot down the odd long side isn't going to do any harm surely?

Weezy

Visit site
Sorry I was thinking of the hoof abcess fact - I wouldnt do any trot as it is quite concussive on the feet - for the 2 weeks I would stick to walk only - there is NOTHING like walk work to get a horse fit!

Skhosu

Visit site
Oh yes, big fan of that, still do a least 1/2 sessions a week pure walk hacking as it does wonders for my lads legs.
So..the only other thing is, will walking have the same effect if in a sandschool?
Would agree about concussion in terms of hoof abcess/roads etc. certainly.

Skhosu

Visit site
lol, thankfully, it is not my pony( although this I suspect also means the walking will not be adhered to) so I have no fittening to do!
thanks guys for confirming my thoughts

Visit site
walk for a least 2 weeks before introducing short spells of trot. I think it will take anywhere up to 3 months to get him to full show jumping fitness. x