Soaked Oats (again, sorry!)

Tempi

Visit site
So Archie is going to be started on this tonight (my first half scooo of oats i put to soak last night so will have been soaking for 24hrs).

he will stay on his allen&page calm&condition pencil things, and i was going to gradually add some alfa-a original (Bloss already has this) to it aswell.....do we think this is ok? he has sunflower seeds too.

And lastly the branmash, is this once a week with electro salts in it then?
crazy.gif

Sorry for all the questions (again)....

confused of salisbury
confused.gif

S_N

Visit site
LOL!! I don't feed the bran mashes at all! The ONLY time I've EVER fed a bran mash, was after foaling, and that was just coz it was nice and warm for her!

Ellen does say that it really is not ideal for feed any kind of mix or nut alongside this diet hun! Sunflower seeds are good and any kind of Alfalfa is good too - so Alfa-A Origninal/Lite/Oil etc all work well. As do the various types of SB.

piaffe

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
can i ask why you cant feed it alongside cubes/nuts?

[/ QUOTE ]

Its like washing your hair with 2 in 1 and then using condtioner!
grin.gif

Tempi

Visit site
ah, thats ok then! as long as its not some bad effect its going to have on him like send him round the bend.

Im just going to finish them off then he will be solely on the oats, as i want to introduce them gradualy aswel!

thankies for that
smile.gif
xx

Kelly1982

Visit site
PG how much did you soak last night?? (in big round scoops measurements if poss
wink.gif
tongue.gif
)

I am seriously thinking of putting my mare of this and want as much info as poss.

She has 3 big round scoops of alpha-a oil and 5 small scoops of speedibeat, would it be ok to keep her on this and then add the oats??

Do i need to feed her anything else like suppliments etc??

mandy4727

Visit site
I soaked mine last night too. So they will be ready to feed to him tonight. If the little sod will eat them that is. I half filled a bucket with cold water (hope this is right and it shouldn't have been hot) and then put 3 double handfuls of oats in. How long do they last when soaked does anyone know. Do you have to make a fresh batch up every day and can only use it then or can you make enough for a couple of days? Anyone know.

Tempi

Visit site
I soaked only half a scoop last night, but i have a large squarish scoop, not a round one. I would think it would be about 2/3rds of a round one. However im introducing it to him slowly to see how he goes on it.

Im not adding any suppliments, and i dont think you will need to either as yours is already on alfa-a oil.

They wil have been soaked for 24hrs by the time he gets them.

Kelly1982

Visit site
Do they need to be drained for an hour or can you just drain them until they stop dripping??

Also do they need to be soaked for 24 hours as at the weekend my horses feed gets made up about lunch time but after work its about 6.30pm?

Sorry for all the questions

Tempi

Visit site
i think the minmum of soaking is 12hours, but dont quote me on that as im definately not the expert on this!!

mine will be drained for an hour as thats what it says!! but again i dont know the definate answer to this!!

S_N

Visit site
I'll pm you the fact sheet hun!

Re: the draining - I don't think anyone drains for the full hour - just till it stops dripping! Tis doesn't drain them at all.

Soaking time is between 12 and 24 hours - the longer the better.

You DO need to supplement this diet, as you are feeding straights!

S_N

Visit site
A general vit/min supplement - unless you feed a balancer alongside, which I don't see the point of myself. Hector gets Clop, B gets Selenavite E, as she has 400mls of oil a day too, so needs the extra Selenium & Vit E.

SSM

Visit site
I don't drain mine, just put them with the speedibeet to soak for 12 hours and then mix the AlphaA in - although as she is coming of calm and condition I will need to feed vitamins - she looks amazing on this diet - but as I said the other day need to change a bit to bring the energy levels up!

mandy4727

Visit site
I will introduce slowly. That bit I am okay with. I think I have made a bit much for tonight then - 3 double handfuls is a bit excessive when first introducing me thinks. Will make less - just enough for 2 meals tongiht. And then will make new batch up for the following day. And fingers crossed it doesn't freeze!!!!

Judie

Visit site
Okay, you lot are getting me in a muddle with soaking these oats, can some kind sole tell me - in layman terms - what is the advantage, or is there an advantage to feeding soaked oats to tiger oats please?

He's currently on, tiger oats, sugar beet, salt and looks great - any need to change?

Sags_Deer

Somewhere in the hills in the sunny south
Visit site
you guys must feed a supplement otherwise nedddies are not getting any mineral or vits whereas if you feed a mix or cubes they generally have correct balance of these in them. also limestone flour if you are feeding oats as there is a calcium phosphorous balance to correct. check this out any qualified horse nutritionist should tell you this. also dengie will prob tell you the same if you phone them up.