Soaking hay

Wheels

Visit site
Currently soaking hay for one of my ponies with low grade lami for 1-2 hours. He is on a weight loss programme of 1.5% bodyweight split into 3 nets spread out through the day and understandably is hungry

He gets through his triple netted haynets very quickly so is stood without food for most of the day.

If I soaked for longer could I feed more volume?

SEL

Visit site
Vet told me 2% with my 6 hour (ish) soak and good rinse.

I'm careful in hot weather - high 20s - because bacteria can develop so I have been known to empty a boiling kettle over each net.

Muddywellies

Visit site
Currently soaking hay for one of my ponies with low grade lami for 1-2 hours. He is on a weight loss programme of 1.5% bodyweight split into 3 nets spread out through the day and understandably is hungry

He gets through his triple netted haynets very quickly so is stood without food for most of the day.

If I soaked for longer could I feed more volume?
Do your haynets have small holes? Even triple netted, large holed nets are easy to eat from. I use small holed nets and soak for about 12 hours tho I know that's probably excessive. It just fits in with my routine.
Do be mindful of ulcers if your pony is going more than 4 hours with no food. Have a quick chat with your vet about it (speaking from experience here)

Wheels

Visit site
They are small holes nets yes.

I am going to soak for longer and gradually increase his intake and monitor closely, his crest is almost gone so will keep a close eye on it too

MuddyMonster

Visit site
When mine was stabled I always soaked for 8-12 hours, thoroughly rinsed off the hay, fed in the smallest holes haynet possible and then fed alongside ad-lib straw.

Lintel

Visit site
I would also suggest feeding alongside straw, most don't find straw particularly enjoyable to munch on so only eat it when they are hungry rather than gorge out of greed.

However... some just like to eat.

Turnips keep my boys busy during periods of fat loss!