soft soles due to weather

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
my welshy has got soft soles and really sore.

Pulses checked regularly... Just bought some keratex hoof hardener. Anyone else 's horse have soft soles??

scrat

Visit site
Yes. Tried Keretex which helped a bit but having a set of shoes on almost instantly made all the difference. She isn't doing much at the moment, so wouldn't normally be shod but it was worth it to see her walking comfortably the next day.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Yes, my little Welsh has got soft thin soles.
I too have been checking for pulses all the time, never anything. He is just a little footy on stones, we were having to cross a road to the field and he’d feel that. Now I’ve changed fields it’s flat concrete which is fine.
Im bringing him in overnight to get out of the mud and dry his feet out in the hope that may help.
I do have some Keratex but haven’t tried it on this pony yet. I keep meaning too but he’s always so muddy ?‍♀️

mavandkaz

Visit site
Yes, my mare who has been barefoot since march, and was doing fab, has now gone a bit sore. She comes in every night anyway but it has coincided with the wetter weather. Fine on most surfaces just stoney ground.
Am increasing the use of red horse stronghorn as that helped when she was first barefoot, but may have to give in to front shoes...

OrangeAndLemon

Afraid of exorcism
Visit site
Yes, my mare who has been barefoot since march, and was doing fab, has now gone a bit sore. She comes in every night anyway but it has coincided with the wetter weather. Fine on most surfaces just stoney ground.
Same for mine. Farrier recommended Keratex hoof hardener because he is doing really well without shoes. We used it before when he first had his shoes off.

TheSpottyCobby

Visit site
Mine is suffering, and it’s not going to dry out any time soon. Fine on soft going and smooth tarmac but sore on anything stony. I’m trying the hoof gel to try and stop any more wet getting in.

vam

Visit site
Mine has been fine but after getting caught out last year she is ridden in boots all round and has been for while, just in case. I leave them off in the school but i've noticed she is a tiny bit more careful over stones so i have started some hoof hardener and will see how that goes. Equally i'm doing a bit out of boots on flat tarmac as she will always be on soft otherwise (out during the day, in at night and has soft rubber matting at the front of her stable) finding it a bit of a balancing act as i dont want it to make her sore but need them doing something. Would love her be on hard standing during the day but thats not an option unfortunately, i'm just glad me field isnt as bad as last year......

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I clean the feet as much as possible from water and mud then cover in anti fungal foot powder meant for human's, any sort of talc will help draw out moisture, being bedded on shavings helps dry the feet out as well, mine are in at night at the moment as one has a bit of mud fever and it's just pouring with rain all night.

Chippers1

Visit site
Mine has been having these issues too. He lives out so they don't get a chance to dry out. I've been using boots for hacking, he's fine on the tarmac road walking up to the yard it's just the stony ground we have to go on for hacking.
Might try some hoof hardener though!