Soft tissue injury - human!

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
How long would you leave a soft tissue injury before thinking something is amiss?

Got bashed on the wrist when removing a nail from a horses foot (not mine, and thankfully no lasting damage to the lovely horse). Was actually super sensible and went and had it x-rayed three days later and no bone abnormalities or breaks to see. However, 10 days later it is still beyond painful and weird bruising keeps appearing on it, though the main bruising is going. It's annoying me as its all sore and achy :rolleyes:, doesn't hurt to move unless I bend my hand quite far back but can't touch it and it does ache which radiates down to my fingers and up my arm, any ideas how long it will take to heal?

Not dealt with something like this before, had breaks (arm and collarbone) before and general bruising but this feels a bit odd?

Velcrobum

Visit site
Where about on your wrist is it hurting? If it is at the base of thumb at the wrist end it might possibly be a fractured scaphoid bone these are notoriously difficult to see on x-ray and are often re x-rayed at 10days post injury as often can be see at that point. If it is general pain and bruising then sorry have no further ideas.

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
Where about on your wrist is it hurting? If it is at the base of thumb at the wrist end it might possibly be a fractured scaphoid bone these are notoriously difficult to see on x-ray and are often re x-rayed at 10days post injury as often can be see at that point. If it is general pain and bruising then sorry have no further ideas.

Thank you, no thankfully its fairly central, worst ouchy part is just next to the bony bit sort of right in the middle, if that makes sense. It's my little finger and ring finger that are achy.
It's just super annoying as I can't put a glove on that hand without pain and obviously it had to be my right hand and I'm right handed, guess I just wanted a moan lol!

Trouper

Visit site
Nerves or tendons will take longer than general muscle-type soft tissue so it is just a question of time. For me, I have shares in the Arnica ointment factory as I swear it speeds up the healing time!!

Roxylola

Visit site
I sprained my ankle about 8 weeks ago - it is still not right now. In fairness my idea of resting is not to do more than normal, I did eventually go to the nurse about it and she referred me for an xray as she was concerned about the swelling etc. It's not apparently broken (I'm not totally convinced) - tbh at this point I almost hoped it was as that's generally a quicker fix. I am now thoroughly fed up of waiting for it though!

cobgoblin

Bugrit! Millennium hand and shrimp.
Visit site
There's not much room for swelling inside the wrist and there are so many nerves and tendons for the swelling to press on... so it's going to be more painful and take longer to go down than a more open site.

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
Thanks all, guess I'll just wait and see then, might get some Arnica in though that's a good shout!

I sprained my ankle about 8 weeks ago - it is still not right now. In fairness my idea of resting is not to do more than normal, I did eventually go to the nurse about it and she referred me for an xray as she was concerned about the swelling etc. It's not apparently broken (I'm not totally convinced) - tbh at this point I almost hoped it was as that's generally a quicker fix. I am now thoroughly fed up of waiting for it though!

Oh no 8 weeks is a long time :(, yeah at least a break you can cast and (with a simple one) 4-6 weeks the jobs done!

HEM

Visit site

I was going to say exactly this, although you say it more central pain. If you have been resting it (truly resting! non-horsey person true rest) and it's still swollen and bruised at the 2 week mark I would see if you can get an appointment with your GP. Wrist/hands are such a small space and has quite a few small bones it could be worth getting a second opinion.

I have said it before but being a gymnastics coach I see quite a few injuries and it's always the ones that are the dull, achy, annoying but I can live pains that end up being in a cast.

Hope the pain eases up for you soon!

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
I was going to say exactly this, although you say it more central pain. If you have been resting it (truly resting! non-horsey person true rest) and it's still swollen and bruised at the 2 week mark I would see if you can get an appointment with your GP. Wrist/hands are such a small space and has quite a few small bones it could be worth getting a second opinion.

I have said it before but being a gymnastics coach I see quite a few injuries and it's always the ones that are the dull, achy, annoying but I can live pains that end up being in a cast.

Hope the pain eases up for you soon!

Ok the sensible part ended with having it x-rayed...

No I guess I'm not resting it really, but it would be neigh on impossible with three horses and being on my own. I'll see how I go for another week or so, hopefully it will start to improve soon despite the lack of rest. Thank you :).

Reactions: HEM

Annagain

Visit site
Soft tissue takes forever to heal. I tore my hamstring on Aug 4th and it still gives me trouble. Pulling wellies off is agony. I started couch to 5k again last week. I normally go straight to week 3 as my overall fitness isn't too bad but my leg is so tired and heavy after about 20 seconds I've had to go to week 1 to try to build things up more slowly.

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
Soft tissue takes forever to heal. I tore my hamstring on Aug 4th and it still gives me trouble. Pulling wellies off is agony. I started couch to 5k again last week. I normally go straight to week 3 as my overall fitness isn't too bad but my leg is so tired and heavy after about 20 seconds I've had to go to week 1 to try to build things up more slowly.

Ouch! Though I would definitely see it as a sign to not run :p and maybe have a nice hot chocolate instead?

Annagain

Visit site
Ouch! Though I would definitely see it as a sign to not run :p and maybe have a nice hot chocolate instead?
Sadly I've put nearly 1/2 a stone on (which I had just lost before my incident) since doing it so that's not an option, especially as I need to keep my weight down as my old boy has arthritis so doesn't need the extra weight and I'm looking for a new one and my weight is limiting the type I can go for. UI was just starting to lose it slowly but that put paid to it - especially as I eat when I'm bored and it was never so bad that I couldn't hobble to the fridge!

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
Sadly I've put nearly 1/2 a stone on (which I had just lost before my incident) since doing it so that's not an option, especially as I need to keep my weight down as my old boy has arthritis so doesn't need the extra weight and I'm looking for a new one and my weight is limiting the type I can go for. UI was just starting to lose it slowly but that put paid to it - especially as I eat when I'm bored and it was never so bad that I couldn't hobble to the fridge!

Oh I feel you pain there! Lots 1.5 stone to keep riding my oldie a few years back, promptly bust my collarbone and put 1 stone back one :(. Thankfully the other carry me fine so I have zero motivation to loose it again as I retired the oldie...

Swimming might be a less weight-baring exercise?

Annagain

Visit site
Oh I feel you pain there! Lots 1.5 stone to keep riding my oldie a few years back, promptly bust my collarbone and put 1 stone back one :(. Thankfully the other carry me fine so I have zero motivation to loose it again as I retired the oldie...

Swimming might be a less weight-baring exercise?

I have chlorine allergy - my face swells up and then breaks out in an itchy rash. I used to swim a lot and then this happened literally overnight. I was fine after my swim on the Tuesday but after going on the Wednesday I looked like a scabby beetroot! I tried a few times after that but it's happened every time since.

Visit site
I had a horse pull back with me whilst leading her about 6 weeks ago which bent my thumb the wrong way. I ignored it up until last week when I had obviously overused it and it ached more than usual, kept going numb and was making me feel sick. I finally admitted defeat and went to the doctors and was prescribed Naproxen to take the pain away and told to wear a wrist support for two weeks. Doctor thinks it's a tendon coming in and out of the tendon sheath. Apparently tendon injuries can take up to 12 weeks to heal so I've got a while yet but the painkillers are helping although my thumb still feels stiff. I'm not really resting it though if I'm honest, just been carrying on as normal but being careful.

Bob notacob

Visit site
I had a horse pull back with me whilst leading her about 6 weeks ago which bent my thumb the wrong way. I ignored it up until last week when I had obviously overused it and it ached more than usual, kept going numb and was making me feel sick. I finally admitted defeat and went to the doctors and was prescribed Naproxen to take the pain away and told to wear a wrist support for two weeks. Doctor thinks it's a tendon coming in and out of the tendon sheath. Apparently tendon injuries can take up to 12 weeks to heal so I've got a while yet but the painkillers are helping although my thumb still feels stiff. I'm not really resting it though if I'm honest, just been carrying on as normal but being careful.
Did it get X rayed . if not ,get it done.

Visit site
It didn't no. Doctor said nothing else they can do! It would take me ages via A and E though wouldn't it and it's not really either now it's been so long, or can you make appointments for things like this?

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
Angelagain that’s rubbish on the chlorine allergy, what an odd thing to suddenly pop up!

It didn't no. Doctor said nothing else they can do! It would take me ages via A and E though wouldn't it and it's not really either now it's been so long, or can you make appointments for things like this?

I went to a minor injuries unit, they can x-ray if you have one nearby?

HEM

Visit site

Apologies for being nearly 10 days late, but you can ask your GP to refer you for an xray if it is not improving.

Although I would agree he is right, niave* but right, if it is in a splint there is not much else they can do for fingers/thumbs even if it was a break but as it is not feeling much better it would be worth getting an xray to eliminate cartilage damage/bone spurs etc.

(Naive* for thinking you'd rest it)

Visit site
I'm going to get an appointment for next week as it still clicks and is stiff. I haven't bothered going to a minor injuries unit as know I'll be sat there for hours on end and can't face sitting in a hospital all day, nor do I have the time but if I can be referred at least I might get an appointment.

Reactions: HEM

Equi

Visit site
Ligament damage can take weeks to heal. Im quite prone to going over on my ankle and hurting my wrists cause im silly, currently sporting a wrist and ankle ow at the mo. Three weeks and counting.

Visit site
Ligament damage can take weeks to heal. Im quite prone to going over on my ankle and hurting my wrists cause im silly, currently sporting a wrist and ankle ow at the mo. Three weeks and counting.

That's reassuring to hear. It's been about 6 weeks now but I guess may take longer with not resting it.

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
Hope everyone heals soon!

Four weeks tomorrow and asides from being a bit achy/ stiff and tingly, plus the odd bruise coming out the wrist seems pretty ok ? despite the lack of rest! Think I had a lucky escape all things considering!

Equi

Visit site
Yes but no at the same time. Overdoing it won't help, but any time i have sought medical advice (rarely do anymore) they always say gentle movement will help.

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
One more question, a hard lump seems to have developed next to the bony part of my wrist, should I be concerned or the fact the pain seems to be subsiding indicate it's nothing to worry about?

Carrottom

Visit site
One more question, a hard lump seems to have developed next to the bony part of my wrist, should I be concerned or the fact the pain seems to be subsiding indicate it's nothing to worry about?
Does it look like a ganglion cyst? (sp) I have a lump on my wrist which seems to come and go, not really painful so I ignore it. I think it's one of these.