softening a new bridle

mcnaughty

Visit site
Whatever you do - do not soak it in neatsfoot as it rots the stitching and makes the leather stretch more. brush it over with neatsfoot oil or use a sponge a couple of times.

Laika

Visit site
I would recommend Neatsfoot oil as it's good for new leather but as Mcnaughty said above, do not apply too much as it can lead to the leather stretching and losing shape. Apply a finer layer and build up IF required. You can always apply more but never take it off once it's absorbed.

spugs

Visit site
Could I have it as well? Does it involve bees wax, dripping and lard as that’s the one I’ve been told and made before.

sport horse

Visit site
PLEASE don't oil it I will send you a link as to explain (oxidises the leather) why and how to look after your leather including a recipe to make your own leather conditioner, Oz (Saddler)

I have tack that is over 50 years old and still regualry in use and still in excellent condition and it has been oiled and soaped all its life!

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
The plural of anecdotes is not data....

Oz's stuff and advise is the shizney (sp?), I use and recommend only that and Sedgwicks. USE of leather is what softens it, condition it while sitting in front of the telly and work it in your hands, the warmth helps push in the conditioner too. And don't use anything that says it's one step - would that be the cleaning step OR the feeding/protecting step...or are you trying to do both together?! Would you try to cleanse and moisturise your face with one product...?

cremedemonthe

Was Caterham on the Hill, Surrey now Wales
Visit site
I have tack that is over 50 years old and still regualry in use and still in excellent condition and it has been oiled and soaped all its life!
I am talking about modern leather not leather that is 20-40 years old pr more that some people still use. The rearing of the cattle, the slaughtering and tanning processes have changed over the years and leather today is not the same as it was years ago.

Trouper

Visit site
PLEASE don't oil it I will send you a link as to explain (oxidises the leather) why and how to look after your leather including a recipe to make your own leather conditioner, Oz (Saddler)
.....or even better, Oz, (if it is not infringing any advertising rules or secret recipes!) publish on here so we can all benefit. Thanks.

cremedemonthe

Was Caterham on the Hill, Surrey now Wales
Visit site
.....or even better, Oz, (if it is not infringing any advertising rules or secret recipes!) publish on here so we can all benefit. Thanks.

Home made leather conditioner
You will need to get hold of some beef fat (I make my own fat and tallow but you can use beef dripping bought from supermarket-Waitrose were selling it last time I looked and the name on it is Britannia).

You'll need beeswax and some lard (pig fat, again I make my own but you can get it from the supermarket), make sure any product you buy isn't adultered with other ingredients. Try to get it as pure as you can.

Do roughly a 50% beef fat, 25 % beeswax and 25% lard mixture, gently melt it down on a low heat and make sure you mix it thoroughly.

Let it set in an old empty and clean margarine tub. Keep it in the fridge out of the reach of pets as they will eat it.

Oz